Why is gas going up now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of us are paying LESS for gasoline today than when we were young, adjusted for inflation and fuel efficiency.

Inflation/shrinkflation (individually or a combination) from the 1980s is roughly a factor of 10 for today. Yet fuel is only up by about a factor of between 3-5 from then thru today.

Furthermore, the typical vehicle is roughly 2-3 times more fuel efficient (from about 15mpg to about 30+ mpg is common). So that alone essentially resets fuel costs to decades ago (3x more expensive but 3x better economy is a wash). Plus you probably earn more today, adjusted, than when you were in your teens and early 20s.

If you're spending too much on fuel, consider alternate transportation, walking, not driving frivolously, and slow down on the roads will have a massive impact. Over 60-70mph your fuel economy probably suffers radically.
I'm between a rock and a hard place. My commute is only 2.2 miles but I sure wouldn't want to ride a bike up my dirt road.

I'd have to push it the whole mile up! As for lunch if I go out I have to drive as there's no food within biking distance.

I'm between a rock and a hard place. My commute is only 2.2 miles but I sure wouldn't want to ride a bike up my dirt road.

I'd have to push it the whole mile up! As for lunch if I go out I have to drive as there's no food within biking distance.
If your commute is 5 miles per day, with a vehicle getting say 20mpgs, you're using about a gallon every 4 days, so about $1 per day in fuel costs. That doesn't seem bad at all.

Eating out, that's far more expensive than the fuel you're using. If you're looking to save money, that's a big expense, roughly 10x more expensive for a basic meal at home vs. eating a similar meal out.

If your commute is 5 miles per day, with a vehicle getting say 20mpgs, you're using about a gallon every 4 days, so about $1 per day in fuel costs. That doesn't seem bad at all.

Eating out, that's far more expensive than the fuel you're using. If you're looking to save money, that's a big expense, roughly 10x more expensive for a basic meal at home vs. eating a similar meal out.
I do more than just go to work and back. I go through a tank of gas a week

yes, contrary to what the tv tell you, there are many petroleum companies. Many you have never heard of and they all want to get top dollar, but cant be higher than the next guy. supply and demand.
The oil industry controls supply, therefore they control prices. The term supply and demand is just a term people use to try and keep the industry from looking like the greedy operation they are...

Yes and no. The supply is manipulated, which producers can do when there is a lack of viable alternatives. This is a basic tenet of Economics.
I doubt I will buy another ICE car for myself ever again.
So when the price of electricity skyrockets because of EVs, what will you buy then?

I mentioned Speedway doing this and they do it all the time. I pass (3) on the way to work and I should keep track of their price in the morning vs in the afternoon and each time it happens, wait for the folks that think there's a justifiable reason each time to see what they come up with.
A 50 cent jump over night is normal around here. I actually saw it go up $1 a gal over night just a few months ago...and I thought a 50 cent jump was bad...

JeffKeryk said:

Yes and no. The supply is manipulated, which producers can do when there is a lack of viable alternatives. This is a basic tenet of Economics.
I doubt I will buy another ICE car for myself ever again.

So when the price of electricity skyrockets because of EVs, what will you buy then?

Yup exactly. It's not like electricity production is not centralized and cannot be controlled/manipulated.

It's quite interesting to see people point out all the bad things with oil, where electricity production has the exact same issues.
And specifically from Jeff, who constantly bashes PG&E, how bad and corrupt they are (which is true), yet wants that as the main source of our transportation energy needs.

The oil industry controls supply, therefore they control prices. The term supply and demand is just a term people use to try and keep the industry from looking like the greedy operation they are...
you are not a serious person.

Yup exactly. It's not like electricity production is not centralized and cannot be controlled/manipulated.

It's quite interesting to see people point out all the bad things with oil, where electricity production has the exact same issues.
And specifically from Jeff, who constantly bashes PG&E, how bad and corrupt they are (which is true), yet wants that as the main source of our transportation energy needs.
Please see post #131 above. My point is, there are no viable alternatives to oil; the world runs on oil. But you are right; I hate PG&E.

Please see post #131 above. My point is, there are no viable alternatives to oil; the world runs on oil. But you are right; I hate PG&E.
And we've been over this before too. Just because you got the solar panel deal the way you did, doesn't mean others will too. And because you are getting paid by PG&E at an inflated rate the electricity your panels produce, it comes out of their bottom line. Multiply this by tens of thousands of homes and they need to raise the prices for everyone. Your hedge is in fact the cause of raising electricity costs.

And there are alternatives, natural gas being one of them.

And we've been over this before too. Just because you got the solar panel deal the way you did, doesn't mean others will too. And because you are getting paid by PG&E at an inflated rate the electricity your panels produce, it comes out of their bottom line. Multiply this by tens of thousands of homes and they need to raise the prices for everyone.

And there are alternatives, natural gas being one of them.
Solar is part of a solution. It works for me in my situation. No one said it is the be all fix all.

It IS Summertime and Summer Driving Season, isn't it.

No suspicious refinery fires this month as far as I know. Now, before that....

@Chris142 You're in California, I wonder if there is a gas tax hike. NJ I believe also raised them recently. I found several stations in PA to be less or about the same as NJ. Pennsylvania has either the highest or second highest gas tax on gasoline. Maybe that is what you are seeing... you suggested it, I believe it is *possible.*

Other than that.. Supply and demand, summer driving season, are my guesses.

I also believe we need to produce more of our own gasoline again... ⛽

Solution to what exactly?
And, how is it part of a "solution" when it causes price increases and in fact impacts the poorest the most?

Do you know who also had a "solution"?
Are we talking about Bill Gates’ “solution” for the alleged overpopulation of the world or he who we will not name’s “final solution”?

I love a good conspiracy!

Are we talking about Bill Gates’ “solution” for the alleged overpopulation of the world or he who we will not name’s “final solution”?

I love a good conspiracy!

I was talking about the "final solution". No conspiracy, just trying to illustrate that "a solution" can mean many different things, not necessarily positive ones. So we should define what we are talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back