Why have motor oil prices gone up so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You will get more longevity from 5 qts of oil, than you will get from 5 gallons of gasoline. Most will get a years worth of use from 5qts of oil, at a cost of maybe $45. How much does a years worth of gas run you ?.,,,
Could you post anything any more irrelevant?

And precisely how much do you think that bump is? With the additional costs of doing business in 2022.
Whatever the 60% increase is minus the increased cost of doing business in 2022 is. The cost of doing business certainly hasn't gone up 60%...

Whatever the 60% increase is minus the increased cost of doing business in 2022 is. The cost of doing business certainly hasn't gone up 60%...
I just literally described to you all the reasons why lubricants pricing has gone up so much.

Let’s take a house brand Dexos 1 Gen 2 5w30 from… 2019. To today.

My cost in 2019 for that Dexos product was approximately ~$5 a gallon. I won’t give exact pricing for confidentiality reasons. Again, this is a generic, house branded API licensed, GM Dexos 1 licensed product. Full synthetic.

Today, we’re around $11-12 cost, before freight - for that same product.

How much money am I allowed to earn off that product?

My product costs have doubled. My employee’s have received about 25% raises. My interests rates have gone up. Everything has literally gone up, as HPL said. Insurance, taxes, etc. etc.

What are we allowed to make?

This is also just blended costs. No packaging. No shipping. Nothing.

Last edited:
Yes. Motor oil is not a loss leader for them and still provides income and profits. Not sure of your point.

That the lubricants market is small enough it’s barely a blip on their corporate radar.

And actually, historically the lubricants market has lost significant amounts of money for the majors. The finished lubricants market for majors is very hard to compete in.

It is. Walmart has their club thing that will help but we have the Fred Meyer Rewards (Kroger) which gives us a better discount on gasoline.

Walmart’s grocery prices are not the bargain they used to be.
Yep, main reason I buy my oil at Rural King

I just literally described to you all the reasons why lubricants pricing has gone up so much.

Let’s take a house brand Dexos 1 Gen 2 5w30 from… 2019. To today.

My cost in 2019 for that Dexos product was approximately ~$5 a gallon. I won’t give exact pricing for confidentiality reasons. Again, this is a generic, house branded API licensed, GM Dexos 1 licensed product. Full synthetic.

Today, we’re around $11 - cost, before freight - for that same product.

How much money am I allowed to earn off that product?

My product costs have doubled. My employee’s have received about 25% raises. My interests rates have gone up. Everything has literally gone up, as HPL said. Insurance, taxes, etc. etc.

What are we allowed to make?
I don't believe, even with all of the cost of everything else going up, that this justifies a 60% price increase. I could see the cost having to go up a buck or two per qt, but 60% is gouging...

Yep, main reason I buy my oil at Rural King
I will be buying my automotive oils there. I believe their store brand is called Providence, and it's a good deal less expensive than Super Tech. However, I have not been able to find the Providence brand in a motorcycle oil...

I don't believe, even with all of the cost of everything else going up, that this justifies a 60% price increase. I could see the cost having to go up a buck or two per qt, but 60% is gouging...

The great thing is you don’t have to believe it. This is the internet. You do you. You, personally, can believe whatever you want.

But those are the facts. Pricing has over doubled on the wholesale level.

Reactions: 4WD
The great thing is you don’t have to believe it. This is the internet. You do you. You, personally, can believe whatever you want.

But those are the facts. Pricing has over doubled on the wholesale level.
If that were true, Walmart would be losing money on every container of oil they sell...

If that were true, Walmart would be losing money on every container of oil they sell...

They’re certainly not making as much as they were in 2019 on it.

I have a fairly good idea of what their cost is per quart - I’m not particularly at liberty to say how much it is. But, they’re making significantly less then 2019.

Again, I expect their prices to continue to creep up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back