Why have an oil stash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buy oil at 10 dollar per 5 quart jug and stash it.
Next year if jug is 11 dollars you just earned 10 percent interest
smile.gif

My stash is a bit out of hand right now. Lots of free and ridiculously cheap clearance sale oils.

I'm telling myself not to acquire anymore oil unless it's free or an amazing deal that cannot be passed up.

Over the years this site has been a great resource for me. I have made many oil purchases at severely discounted prices thanks to this site. Most recent deal was 4 10w30 Rotella 2.5 gallon jugs for a final price of .25 cents per quart after rebate!!! My first big score was 27 1 gallon bottles of Delo 30wt diesel oil for the grand sum of 27 cents, yes 1 cent a gallon!!! I have made many buys in between thanks to my friends here on BITOG!! I do hoard oil however I use a lot of oil in a year. I maintain tractors, a skid loader, a bulldozer, multiple small engines, a 4 wheeler, multiple trucks and cars. I just changed the oil and filter on my car for a sum of less than 4 dollars thanks to BITOG and Rockauto. I found out about Rockauto on this site. The smallest sump on my diesel equipment is 3 gallons. It's great to have an oil inventory on hand to keep the farm up and going. I do pass it on. I give oil to friends and do free oil changes for female friends who are raising a family by themselves. I dispose of my used oil buy taking it to a shop near me that uses it for heat in the winter. They have an oil fired heater that is environmentally friendly and it keeps the place toasty warm in the winter. I wont mention the gear lube and grease buys I have made thanks to this site. That will be saved for another post.

When the Napa brand synthetic goes on sale, I pick up a case. That lasts me a while. By the time the case is near empty, it's on sale again so I pick up another case. That's as far as my stash goes.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I have a stash cause most of it was free.
And when I want to change my oil I don't have to search for current sales.

100% agree.

Besides, I have about 2 dozen different engines on my ranch (car & several trucks, tractors, pumps, generators, etc.) so it's not like i'm not going to use it.

Officially the term "Stash" should only be used if u'yer measuring in Gallons.

If you measure in qts, I respectfully content that it does not meet the threshold of a stash
whistle.gif

and it is a disease...

Good to hear. My investment broker recommend that I do the same since it is such a good return in these confusing times with all of the other risky investments out there.

I have too much oil that I barely used. I picked up a bunch of Havoline ProDS Full Syn 5w-30 when it was on clearance at O'Reilly, and I still have most of a case of Chevron Supreme 5w-30. But now I don't use those oils since the 99 Crown Vic and the 02 Envoy which I used the Havoline in are gone. Now really all they're going to be used for is my mom's 95 Accord, and I put in Maxlife for that last time because I had one jug of that left over.

I'm going to not buy any more oil because I'm moving across the country next year, and I'm really not going to drag oil around. I'm going to buy Royal Purple HPS 5W-30 for the truck as needed and Royal Purple 5W-20 for the Escape as needed and leave it that. No point in having a stash when my employee price at the auto parts store is better than when Royal Purple is on sale retail. Sometimes it's the other way (Maxlife, for example, is cheaper on retail sale than my employee price, that's why I ended up with some of that)... as far as filters no reason to stash them since I'm at the auto parts store 5-7 days a week so I can get whichever filter I need easily enough...

Not too worried about hoarding GF5 oil, but I wished I bought a few gal jugs of Rotella Triple protect 10w30 HD Dino. Cant find the stuff and I don't like the T5 SS.

That was a great go to ODPE oil and noisey engine were helped with this liquid gold. I also wish I had a few jugs of 10w30 QS red bottle Higher Mileage with Slick 50.. A great dino oil if there ever was one.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Better question is why have a ton of cheap bought oil and filters and then push your oil changes out to 10,000 miles and change your oil filter every other time and then pay for a oil sample test when you could just change it at 3,000-5,000 miles for less than $10.

Now that makes WAY too much sense !

I am basically cheap . That is why I have bought oil & filters on sale .

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Dallas69 said:
That last one alone is worth what I have spent in the stash. Got me out of the house while the MIL was visiting and got bonus points for changing her oil.

You sir , are a genus ! Uou should go far . :)

I've got probably 75-80 quarts in my stash, I bought it all real cheap, almost all of it for $1 per quart.

My Jeep will get real short OCIs since I got the oil so cheap, who cares.

I have a bunch of Synpower that I paid ~$1.80 a quart for as well as some Rotella T5 that I paid basically less than $1 a quart for.

Had I known I would have gotten the T5 for nearly free, I wouldn't have bought the Synpower honestly. Also, the other vehicle I planned on using the oil in no longer exists. I am thinking about selling the cases for $45 or so. Aim high for the low ballers.

*Actually, I am giving 1 case to my local mechanic for Christmas who fixed my door for nearly nothing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Better question is why have a ton of cheap bought oil and filters and then push your oil changes out to 10,000 miles and change your oil filter every other time and then pay for a oil sample test when you could just change it at 3,000-5,000 miles for less than $10.

Now that makes WAY too much sense !

I am basically cheap . That is why I have bought oil & filters on sale .

UOA's are pricey, but worth the investment (IMO) if you stick with the same oil brand, weight and style (syn vs. conv.)

If you can stretch your OCI out 2x or whatever, that UOA will pay for itself real quick.

Originally Posted By: stockrex
Officially the term "Stash" should only be used if u'yer measuring in Gallons.

If you measure in qts, I respectfully content that it does not meet the threshold of a stash
whistle.gif

and it is a disease...

I don't know why, but if I say I have 112 qts of oil, I don't feel bad.
If I say I have 28 gallons of oil, I feel like I have a problem.
confused2.gif

When it's really cheap, it only makes sense to stock up.
Combine store deals and coupons with MIRs and you can end up with a nice stash of synthetics at cost to you of well under two bucks a quart.
Some deals are too good to pass up, like T5 at .25/qt after MIR.
I maintain a bunch of active vehicles in the family fleet, so cheap oil is a money saver for me.
I always have a suitable grade in the garage for any of our engines including the OPEs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back