Ever get comped for an oil change?

Just got a 2007 Fusion with the four-cylinder for my son. Only 36k miles. 27 service records at the Ford/Mazda dealership. Heck, the car even has two transmission fluid changes. Definitely a keeper.

The oil though was a bit old. From the fall of 2021. Two and a half years old but only a little over a thousand miles on a synthetic from the Mazda dealer. I decided to just do a Pit Crew at Walmart since I'm out of town with it and it's only going to be about 3500 miles until it hits 40k miles. I know the oil may have lasted longer without a problem but I just don't know how small of a commute the prior owner had before I got it.

Well, I guess this really was my lucky day. They didn't have a filter for it and comped me for the motor oil. So now I have the factory Mazda filter still on the Fusion which, honestly, I would have kept if I had the time and resources to do it myself. But I'm over three hours away and a full state away from home right now.

I plan on giving it synthetic 5K OCIs starting at 40k miles. This was pretty much a half oil change that was comped. Anyone experience anything quite like this?

17083706599197889835467693902541.jpg

so the oil filter has been in use over 2.5 years? It would have rusted off here by now.
When you get home....could still change the filter and top off.

The only time I’ve ever been offered a comp oil change was when it was coming out of their bulk tank.

And I’ve always said no thanks. Not with some of the cars we drive.

That being said, slap a fresh filter on that one and top it off, and it should at least do some free cleaning for a couple thousand miles.

Had a few oil changes comped when the 60 minute quick lube sign at the Toyota dealership was not met. I still have free oil changes on my account but it's not worth my time to get them.

I got comped once at my Toyota dealer
I was hurt at the time, so I couldn't DIY
I made an appointment,

• They were a train wreck when I showed up
  • Mouth breather lube tech spilled so much oil everywhere, they gave me back the Exxon Valdez
  • They tried to compensate with an indifferent quick exterior wash
  • I was there for 4+ hours
Jersey Shore cast reject Service Writer just kinda threw my keys back at me, I couldn't get out of there soon enough 😳

Back