Current oil change census

Back in September I purchased the 2016’ Nissan Rogue from an elderly lady it was her husband’s car he had passed away. This vehicle has just under 60k with the mileage I put on has around 59,800. Information I got speaking to the shop he went to, he did once a year oil changes, this shop advertises they use Mobil 1 but couldn’t get an answer if that was the last oil to be used in the vehicle. The oil change sticker was dated the previous September but mileage was within range of when it would be due for service. When I got the vehicle home I drove it about a week changed both the cabin and air filters then the oil change.

Drained the oil it was pretty black and spun off a wix jobber typical white can lube shop special. I am now running pennzoil platinum ”0w20” with an oe filter normally follow 6 month or 5-6k oci, how many of you would stick with the oci or for this 1st oil change that I have the vehicle do a 3 month - 3k to clean stuff up. Next oil change will be NAPA synthetic 0w20 and haven’t yet decided to use up the oe filter supply or go to the ecogard stash.

are you useing the pennzoil platinum high milage? if not that may be a good choice,and use a good filter,,5-6 oci and you should be fine

opps ,misread,,regular platinium is fine,the high mileage version would still be ok if you want it wont affect oil consumption

Since you're asking, do the 3k for your peace of mind. Certainly won't hurt anything, and will help you sleep better. Probably what I would personally do, given the same situation.

Edit: Used wrong spelling of 'peace' oops

Last edited:
does you Rogue have some type of Oil Life Monitor???...I picked up a used 2005 GMC Denali with 72K miles at my purchase...the previous oil change was done at the GM dealership and there was about 4K miles and 10 months (not daily driver from previous owner obviously) with the OLM displaying change oil soon...

I changed the oil and filter with full synthetic 5W-30 (the call oil at time of manufacture and the OLM calibration was for Dino oil) and am currently at almost 2,200 miles and 4 months with 64% showing on the OLM...my plan is to wait for the OLM to display 10% or less which should be about the 6 month date...

a check of the oil in my GMC shows full and just a touch darker than brand new oil on the dipstick

Good luck with yours

Bill

does you Rogue have some type of Oil Life Monitor???...I picked up a used 2005 GMC Denali with 72K miles at my purchase...the previous oil change was done at the GM dealership and there was about 4K miles and 10 months (not daily driver from previous owner obviously) with the OLM displaying change oil soon...

I changed the oil and filter with full synthetic 5W-30 (the call oil at time of manufacture and the OLM calibration was for Dino oil) and am currently at almost 2,200 miles and 4 months with 64% showing on the OLM...my plan is to wait for the OLM to display 10% or less which should be about the 6 month date...

Good luck with yours

Bill
No olm that tells percentage just mileage. On the web there’s sites that say synthetic 0w20 7500-10k or conventional 3-5k. Also is listed 0w20 and 5w30 is applicable. I asked the previous shop he’s positive only 0w20 was used while they serviced the vehicle which has been several years.

If your driving style meets the "severe service" criteria then change it at 3,000 miles. If it doesn't then change it at 5,000 mile intervals. Don't forget to service the air filter, cabin air filter, spark plugs, brake fluid, tire rotations, etc.

With this vehicle and new job routine work miles for the week are 36. 3.6 miles each way. Occasionally I’ll take a weekend ride maybe put on an additional 25-40 miles. No good definitely looking like a severe oci guy. ☹️

I've found that most more modern vehicles (I take care of the oldest being 2013 other than that 2005 GMC) can easily do well with 5K/6 month at a minimum OCIs...

several of the vehicles I maintain do low miles per year and I never go beyond 1 year...mileage tends to be under 5K miles for those vehicles

if you do 5-6K miles in 6 months you should be well protected if using full synthetic oil of the proper weight for your vehicle and changing at that interval

good luck with your Rogue

Bill

I've been on a every 10,000 mile or once a year OCI WCF routine for quite a few years now.
works for me.

Yes, go to manual and see recommendations about “severe” use of the vehicle short trips, a lot of idling, dusty conditions etc and make your judgement. Of course you can check oil level during this time the color, ( it’s aesthetically for me not to keep black oil) but I think 6 months is ok with modern oils, if something go wrong with the engine that’s not to be related to the oil.

My intention is not sticking to 3 months all the time just a 1st time flush since I took possession of this vehicle. Therefore just taking a poll on who would do the 3k then switch to 6 month - 2x yr scenario.

In answer to your poll question, I'd "consider" both OCIs.

I do believe your 3.6 mile one-way commutes constitutes severe service so the 3K might be for you.
Perhaps you needn't buy the most expensive oil?
Best of luck with your 'dead man's car'.

Back