Why don't HTO-06 oils win here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: CT8
Is HTO 6 still a valid spec oil for current engines?

AFAIK, there's only one car in the entire universe that takes it, and that's the first-gen Acura RDX.

I'm surprised they didn't adopt it for other cars more recently, seeing as how a huge percentage of their cars now rely on turbos.

That RDX engine was not direct injection, but all of their new turbos are...Honda has new problems to worry about with the technology change.

What good is deposit control if you don't have the best protection in high temps and the best turbocharger protection? This is why I never jumped on the HTO-06 bandwagon, especially owning a car known for bearing and/or turbo failure.

Last edited:
I would say there's nothing wrong with seeking the Honda spec, at least peripherally, if one is looking for an ILSAC 5w-30. After all, you'll see it on most of the big name synthetics. Within the ILSAC 5w-30 options, there are other decent specifications available, too, including the old GM spec, the current dexos1, and A5/B5.

As already mentioned, though, that doesn't address the usefulness of elevated HTHS of an A3/B4 5w-30, for example, and all the builder approvals that might go with that. That brings out the difficult question of which is "better," the Honda spec or BMW LL-01, for instance. If I had a turbo and it was out of warranty, I could be faced with the decision of Castrol Edge 5w-30 GF-5 (with the Honda spec) or Castrol Edge 5w-30 A3/B4. They're not perfectly interchangeable oils.

... I'm pretty sure HTO-06 is 5w-30 only.
Recent Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 claims to meet HTO-06.

Originally Posted By: CR94
... I'm pretty sure HTO-06 is 5w-30 only.

Link? The Pennzoil pages I'm seeing all specify that 5w-30 is the only HTO-06 approved grade.

Originally Posted By: CR94

Link? The Pennzoil pages I'm seeing all specify that 5w-30 is the only HTO-06 approved grade.
It's printed on the 0W-20 jug I bought in August, and was still on them the last time I looked in a Walmart. The 5W-20 version jugs did not claim HTO-06 (but do meet TEOST requirements, as far as I know).

Whoa, interesting!

I notice that doc has one single section for "Specifications, Approvals & Recommendations". I wonder whether the oil is actually approved or Pennzoil just thinks it'd pass the test.

I think it's just the way they format the document. It is interesting though because the HTO-06 spec was on 5w-30 before. I have never seen it on a 0w-20. Maybe with some of the automakers recommending 0w-20 on their TGDI engines Pennzoil saw the need?

Comparing the new specs to the old ones reveals little change. Hopefully we will get some analysis reports soon on these new gen2 oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back