why do cars have so much horsepower?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: grampi
but one thing I don't like about toady's vehicles are the auto transmissions. They have way too many gears and they are very annoying. They're constantly up or down shifting, and they've always got the tranny in such a high gear that even slight acceleration requires a down shift. They always have the engine lugging...
That's why it's nice if the trans has an "S" mode or even an "M" mode.
smile.gif
Wife's Q5 is a lot more fun to drive in "S". I think "D" stands for "Dog."

Originally Posted By: grampi
I don't mind the increasing HP, I like it actually, but one thing I don't like about toady's vehicles are the auto transmissions. They have way too many gears and they are very annoying. They're constantly up or down shifting, and they've always got the tranny in such a high gear that even slight acceleration requires a down shift. They always have the engine lugging...

Try something fitted with the ZF 8HP- it's a brilliant transmission.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
It’s impossible to have too much horsepower!
banana2.gif

Certainly is in my car. About 55 IIRC

But I do average about 17km/litre

Originally Posted By: Char Baby

[Indylan/quote]:
You can always buy the 4 cyl version of a midsize car and get your 200hp and a lot better mileage than the old Maxima.
Most mid size cars sold do still have ~200hp though, just with a 4 banger now.

[CharBaby/quote]: And the midsize cars that these 4 cyl are in often weigh in at over 3300 lbs. [/quote]
They perform pretty much the same though at full throttle, but not quite as torquey at low rpms. Would I rather drive a 2000 3200lb 220hp V6 mtx maxima, than a new 3300lb Accord with a cvt 190hp 1.5l 4 banger? For sure until I filled up or got in an accident. If you don't have a significant commute I do think it would be a good idea to stick with an older car that you like though. Newer is newer, and not always more fun even if its got more hp.
The most successful selling sports car of all time(the Miata) still hasn't got anywhere near 200hp yet.

A lot of it is just a "why not?" factor. My 470 horsepower Challenger gets better gas mileage than my old 200 horsepower car from the 90s, there's just about no downside. Even the v6 version has 300 horsepower and gets WAY better mileage than the 200 HP cars of the past.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
A lot of it is just a "why not?" factor. My 470 horsepower Challenger gets better gas mileage than my old 200 horsepower car from the 90s, there's just about no downside. Even the v6 version has 300 horsepower and gets WAY better mileage than the 200 HP cars of the past.

Yup. My 400 hp 1er gets better FE on the highway than my 200 hp Civic.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

Yup. My 400 hp 1er gets better FE on the highway than my 200 hp Civic.

As I mentioned above, my 320 hp 2 Series returns the same fuel economy as my 150 hp Club Sport- and gets to 60 4 seconds faster...

It (higher-more-better-etc.) will always be around.
I just wish I had a CHOICE when it came to engines.
I remember old Oldsmobile ads where 5 engine choices was common.
A Nissan Frontier has 8 or 9 engines WORLDWIDE.

Shoehorning a V6 or V8 into small cars = FOOLISHNESS.

Originally Posted By: Kira

Agreed- I would much rather drop in a V12:

Didn't the OP get the memo about horsepower wars? All it takes is one manufacturer to start the war and then everybody else has to follow suit just to keep up with them. It has to look good on paper!

People don't want more power. they want more usable torque. ( percent of you here don't spend much time at 6000 rpm do you?) Stupid. In a small engine with a stick I like a car the redline at 6500+) Heavy Automatic 4 banger? No. 5500 is fine.

Cars/CUV should have 2-3 valves with strong torque from 1500-4500 rpm. that would likely knock your 2.5L 4 back to a "reasonable" 145 HP. That still a med-high state of tune. for a street smog motor.

You didn't see big hp /litre from your mustang "5 litre" till it became a DOHC 4V. If my early 80's 5.0 4BBL Mustang was split into two 4 cylinder engines, they would make but a paltry 87 Horsepower!
Pitiful, Ford.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
If my early 80's 5.0 4BBL Mustang was split into two 4 cylinder engines, they would make but a paltry 87 Horsepower!
Pitiful, Ford.

Which is, IIRC, what the 2.3L I4 also offered in the Mustang made...

Originally Posted By: Kira
It (higher-more-better-etc.) will always be around.
I just wish I had a CHOICE when it came to engines.
I remember old Oldsmobile ads where 5 engine choices was common.
A Nissan Frontier has 8 or 9 engines WORLDWIDE.

That’s right ~ small trucks
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
It’s impossible to have too much horsepower!
banana2.gif

Obligatory:
speedtrap.jpg

speeding-ticket-300x199.jpg

rid-speeding-ticket-texas-800x800.jpg

Gotta pay to play.
wink.gif

Have gotten tickets in 6 countries and 3 continents.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back