Why change oil filter every oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Several posts were about dirty bath water, dirty shorts, etc. They were inferring that the oil left over in the filter is dirty. It is old, but it is a half quart or less, and more old oil is left throughout the engine, even if you drained until drips stop. Always.

I change the filter each time. Times change, too. My Ford truck's oil capacity isn't much more than that of my G37. But, the oil filter on that truck holds a lot more oil than does the one in my G37. I could argue that changing the filter on the truck helps exchange the better part of a quart. On the G37, I'm lucky if I'm getting an extra cup of oil out of the thing by changing the filter.

In 36 years old vehicle ownership, I've never doubled up on an oil filter. I've been accused of being cheap, but I really can't see what the savings is. I'm under the truck to drain the oil, so it's not like skipping a filter change is making the job any easier.

I don't mean to exploit your newness - but in 47 years today was the first time I left one on planning a 2nd 5k OCI ...

Forgot to mention - the other reason to leave the old filter on was I was doing my first "noise test" while changing oil/brands and wanted no doubts over the filter ...

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

Rock-on and thanks for joining the club to every-other OCI filter change.

Agreed. Ultras are such good filters that some ran them for 20k miles. People are afraid of dirt. What dirt! It's trapped inside the filter. There won't be enough dirt to cause flow issues. Getting a good Ultra or M1 EP is good enough to trust them for 2 oil changes at least. People are paranoid.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Now everyone is back on "one OCI, one filter!"

I usually run filters well past 10K, often 15K on two oil changes.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Who yelled at you captain?? Foolishness I swear.

Ehhh I don't remember who, but I do annual oil changes. Ends up being 2500-5000 miles depending on how much time off I've had.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
Why not? Cheap insurance.

This. I change my oil twice a year with whatever auto parts store has the best synthetic oil and premium filter oil change special around the time I'm due for a change. The extra $10-$15 a year is worth the piece of mind to me.

I am just OCD enough to fill the new cartridge filter on my 2001 Volvo before I spin it on, and once it soaks the paper medium it holds about 1/2 quart of shiny new oil. I'm down on the pavement anyway...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I have changed my oil filter 1/2 way through an OCI. Factory filter ADBV failed. (fatigued open).

Bypass operation will wash semi- trapped debris out and through the engine.

Use of E10-E85 fuels and high fuel dilution can possibly gum up the filter drastically impeding flow ( manufacturers concerns aired in ILSAC GF5 procedings and spec)

I'm puzzled. Are you saying that you had decided, for some unstated reason, to change the filter 1/2 way through the OCI, and discovered that the ADV had failed? Or, that you noticed the ADV had failed, and that's why you decided to change the filter?

I guess the ADV failing caused noise at start-up due to oil starvation until the filter filled?

Thanks,

jv

Why change the filter every time? BECAUSE I SAID SO!
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back