Why change oil filter every oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In theory, an oil filter should have finer filtration the longer its in use. Having said that I change mine with each change. I don't want to forget which car as the new filter and which is on its second run.

I'll admit I change the oil filter along with the oil because everyone I know and myself have been doing it this way for decades. It is now a habit.

I remember reading owners manuals that say to change the oil filter every other oil change. I never liked the idea of leaving a quart of dirty oil in the system, so I followed the norm.

If there is proof that I could easily run the filter multiple oil changes, I'll change my habits. I can remove the filter and dump the oil in there.

Cheap insurance isn't a good argument. You do something because it makes good economic sense. A person can go broke with all the different tips on "cheap insurance" posted on this site.

Filter catch stuff. As they catch more stuff they get clogged. As they get clogged the resist flow.

Same with the forced air filter in your furnace except your see the [censored] on it, whereas you don't normally see the inside of your oil filter.
Don't be the one to fall for this "out of sight out of mind" mindeset.

Originally Posted By: rav
I have always be taught to change the filter at every oil changes.

Don' dare challenge status quo.
But why?

So you don't forget to change it.
With todays engines & better oils, several car mfg. Have increased oil changes at 12,000 to 15,000 miles. Not saying this is a good thing, but never the less, filter go the same distance.

Yes it will, clogging happens long after a bitoger strokes from stress.
If yiu use a good synthetic & change at 6k, why not leave the filter in till 12k?

With this much wasted oil, why save on the filter?
Surely it doesn't get clogged.

It doesn't.

Last edited:
Can anyone give me some insight on this subject. I'm just curious. I have always be taught to change the filter at every oil changes. But why? With todays engines & better oils, several car mfg. Have increased oil changes at 12,000 to 15,000 miles. Not saying this is a good thing, but never the less, filter go the same distance. If yiu use a good synthetic & change at 6k, why not leave the filter in till 12k? Surely it doesn't get clogged.

Help the environment and being filters today are so much better in quality, sometimes we can go three OCIs before changing a filter like the Ultra.

Rock-on and thanks for joining the club to every-other OCI filter change.

Both cars in my sig are sludge free, I use a larger filter on both and both get a Fram ultras which are ~9$.

Coupled with the larger oil filter I see no issue leaving the filter in for two oil changes which is 10k miles for me.

Originally Posted By: Kestas

If there is proof that I could easily run the filter multiple oil changes, I'll change my habits.

"Multiple" could mean 5 or 10, but no one is suggesting that. "Every other" is the operative concept.

Evidence? Tons of it. Honda calls for it, and others may too. Anecdotal evidence abounds. Everywhere.

Who cares what others do...if thats your opinion use it for how many OCI's you want..i run 5k mile changes and my engine is running perfect. No reason to change.

The ones who remove the oil filter,drain it,and reinstall it. How do you do that without damaging the case? Plus doesn't oil drain all over the filter,making it too slippery to be able to reinstall and properly tighten it,even if you clean it up really well? That just seems like a huge pita to me.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
maybe everyone who is worried should change oil and filter every 1000 miles.

That's me. My Camaro gets serviced annually with M1 and Fram ultra at approx 1200 miles.

On my other car I go 4K intervals on PP/QSUD and go 8K miles/yr on a Fram ultra. 1 Filter, 1 year works for me. At $20 per Oil Change, it's not a big deal. Buying oil and filters on sale with rebates makes it cheap. If I had to pay $70 for a synthetic oil change at the local Quick Lube, then I'd be going a year on the oil and filter.

An oil change w/o having to do the filter is so much easier. So 2 OCI's on a top quality filter makes sense to me. If your oil is not really that dirty, that filter may actually be more efficient the 2nd time around that it is on the 1st.

Old Skool here, change the oil, change the filter, nuff said!
thumbsup2.gif

I'll raise you..............long OCI's plus new filter every other oil change. If I'm reading between the lines correctly from Fram, their FU is more like a 20k filter, they just didn't market it as such due to some sort of red tape they wanted to avoid. (sorry I forget exactly where I saw that posted but it was on BITOG somewhere and from a Fram rep). That's what I'm doing my wife's Prius, 10k OCI with a FU every other. I'll have a used 20k FU to look at in about 1 month. Short of seeing something weird in there don't see why not.

No sense changing a filter before its useful life is done;

M1 filters I use for maybe 15K on my echo.

Does anyone get new tires when the old ones still have life?

You have to do what you want. Change filter each oil change or every other will make no difference in the long run. My first change on my Pilot was around 7200 miles and that was when the MM was down to about 10%. I changed the factory filter and installed an Ultra. I will now change the filter every other oil change. Owners manual also says every other oil change is what is recommended.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
filters today are so much better in quality, sometimes we can go three OCIs before changing a filter like the Ultra.

I ran a plain ol' FL-1A Motorcraft on a 400M V8 in an F250 back in the 90's for about 30,000 miles (OCI's about 9000-10,000 with 15W-40 diesel oil)

When I cut it open, it looked fine.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I ran a plain ol' FL-1A Motorcraft on a 400M V8 in an F250 back in the 90's for about 30,000 miles (OCI's about 9000-10,000 with 15W-40 diesel oil)

When I cut it open, it looked fine.

Makes me feel better about going 15-16k on a Fram TG over the course of a year.

I have a new to me Chevrolet that gets a free dealer oil change. The time for the car is every two years as the engine runs very little. So when all that time has passed I want to change the oil filter for fun myself. The dealer Delco filter is like $7, so every two years isn't a lot of money. I enjoy changing the filter and cutting it open.

Our newer Accord does have a recommendation that the oil filter be changed only every other OCI.
I change it every time.
Why bother?
Well, I'm not concerned about holding capacity, since there isn't much for the oil filter to catch and hold after the first couple of hours of operation when any gross break-in debris are created and any debris left from manufacturing and assembly are washed free to either be caught by the filter or suspended in the oil.
A more insidious concern is failure of the oil filter itself.
ADB and bypass valves do became less effective over time and heat cycles, base gaskets can and do fail and media can do so as well.
We all remember the big scare involving media failures in a certain filter brand, but we then also saw a bunch of posts showing media failures in other brands.
Wire backed synthetic media can't fail?
Not so sure about that.
If I'm under the dear to begin with, throwing on a new Ultra that cost less than five bucks net just isn't that big of a deal to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back