Who makes Honda Motorcycle Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Wayne Kelln:

thwwx-I don't think any of Maxima's products contain any Moly. If you are really interested in an answer, contact Maxima and ask them. They are real good at answering questions. Ultra does have an ester additive that makes it extremely slick. I have heard this refered to as "organic moly" on occasions. Yet, Ultra is rated MA and can still be used in bikes with integrated transmissions.

Hi Wayne, Ultra tests positive for moly, over a 1000ppm. I am sure it is not moly disulfide, don't think you'll find that form in any modern engine oil, but there is still some moly compound. Refer to this VOA on Ultra.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000352

quote:

Originally posted by ScottB:
No, there were confirmed cases and I read about them in some of the moto rags over the years.
And yes, if you change an oil, get slippage, change back, and no slippage, that's convincing.
It had to do with clutch plates that would swell with certain oils that had lots of moly.
It was done by motorcycle guys who weren't looking to diss the oils, but to find out why.
They were hi-powered bikes and as I said, only a couple models.

Some of the earlier Bandit 1200's slipped no matter what oil you used- it was a design flaw in the clutch spring. I know you said clutch plates, but I'll bring it up again as this topic gets brought up a lot.

quote:

If I get the time, I'll try to find info. But since it was not a big deal, and I use synth in my bikes, I don't really care to argue it.

Again, I only use synth oils in my bikes and I believe what I read to be legit info.

Even Cycle World and Motorcyclist in their "Tech" section still only recommend using MC specific oils whenever someone writes in asking for oil advice, and we all know that's bunk, from this sites UOAs and from Motorcycle Consumer News.

Wayne,
You are more interested in appearing as you have some oil knowledge, and using only bogus "oil reports" for your back-up, than you are in discovering the truth.

So many perpetuate this myth that it's getting sickening.
And to come here where loads of folks DO have some comprehensive data concerning these oils, and spout off some rediculous legend, is even more amazing. I also notice that in every thread you post, Wayne, you are touting Maxima oil.
Are you simply embarrased to be paying such high dollar for a simply adequate fluid?

I always hear the typical "I read reports on this, and have heard from many people about it" but, you never see the reports, and can't find any sort of information that would back up clutch slippage being related to an oil's add pack.

I have a buddy who runs the parts side of a major bike dealer in this area.
We got into the oil discussion at his dealership the other day. He too was passing on track myth and dealerspeak about Honda oils.
"Can't use anything with moly in it, boy it will hose your clutch fast!"

The more we discussed the issue, the less and less convinced he was that what he was telling me was correct. He finally admitted that he had never actually seen a clutch failure from oil use, but he had read reports....(sound familiar?)

Also, he finally stated that he had been using the MB rated fluid in his XR650 for about 6 months before he realized that he was using the moly rich MB fluid. The bike was dual sport ridden and he explained that he never saw one bit of any change in clutch action during the use of the MB rated HP4.
He said that once he figured out his mistake, he reasoned that it must have been his aftermarket plates and springs that saved him.

He's now not so convinced that the oil would be a problem at all. And I'm fairly sure he is now understanding the moly scare. Of course that won't last long...because I'm sure his dealership is still full of those who perpetuate track myth and legend, and they will set him back on the path of lunacy.

This moly and EC scare is a bucnch of hogwash from any and all evidence I can collect, and I challange any of the myth perpetuators to come up with some hard data. Short of that, I wish they would cap the spewing pipeline of crud.

quote:

Originally posted by swjohnsey:
That Thumperfaq article is a load of crap. All you need to do is go over to the VOA to find that are deliberately lying or just don't know what they are talkin' about. Examples: Motorcyle oils don't contain moly. BWAHAHAHA!!! Motorcycle oils contain five times the anti-wear additives of car oils. BWAHAHAHA!!!

Car oil will make yer clutch slip! BWAHAHAHA!!!My ZX-10R is putting over 180 hp to the clutch and it ain't slipped yet.

I call bovine scat...
lots of moly here and here this is getting boring

Fact is many bikes have been run for years on "car" oils, with no adverse effects. There are several excellent MC specific oils that have moly added to the final blend, and there are no issues with them. You can read the info for yourself, but here is the important snippet...
"
Bottom Line
It could appear from this data, then, that there is no validity to the constantly-used argument that motorcycle-specific oils provide superior lubrication to automotive oils when used in a motorcycle. If the viscosity drop is the only criterion, then there is certainly no reason to spend the extra money on oil specifically designed for motorcycles. There does, however, appear to be a legitimate argument for using synthetic and synthetic-blend oils over the petroleum based products."
Check it out here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back