Fully synthetic 10w-30 Jaso mb oil required.

The oil analysis is more than just an ingredient list. The viscosity, flash point, TBN, etc., combined with the add pack (ingredients) literally is the specification.

And I misposted about MA being MB compatible. It's not. Thanks for the correction.

I get what you're saying about the importance of the properties. They are important. But the specifications dictate those properties. So it wouldn't matter if the product was made out of dirty dishwater as long as it meets the specifications.

There are parts of the JASO and API standards that specify material components. But the really important parts are the performance aspects (and with regard to JASO, that means clutch friction testing), which do not show up on an oil analysis.

I get what you're saying about the importance of the properties. They are important. But the specifications dictate those properties. So it wouldn't matter if the product was made out of dirty dishwater as long as it meets the specifications.

There are parts of the JASO and API standards that specify material components. But the really important parts are the performance aspects (and with regard to JASO, that means clutch friction testing), which do not show up on an oil analysis.
Yes it's the performance I refered to, not isolated elements from decomposed compounds.

That's what is silly about posting typical values from some oil analysis and telling others to compare it another to deduce if the oil meets the performance requirements.

For the OP's search for the 10w30 JASO MB oil, SG to SL:

From what I could determine online, the service fill quantity for that scooter is 0.9 Lt. I would call that one quart. The spec I found was from an early 2 valve version of that engine.

I would attempt to order the correct spec 10w30 oil online or in person at a Honda online dealer or motorcycle shop.

One of the links provided from a member indicated that

Motor Oils Meeting JASO MA and JASO MB​

JASO MA

• Valvoline 4-Stroke Synthetic Motor Oil 10W-40 and 20W-50
  • Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40
JASO MB

• Red Line 10W-40 ester based motorcycle oil
  • Silkolene QUAD ATV 5W-40 Fully Synthetic 4-Stroke Engine Oil
The two MB's listed are not 10w30. Personally, I would use the 10w40 if that's what is actually available. I get it that one would want the spec oil.

I know little of scooters, but aren't nearly all of them in recent times some sort of CVT variator drive?

Just got a Honda sh 125. Honda recommended oil is 10w-30 Jaso mb. Would like a fully synthetic 10w-30 Jason mb. Cannot find one. Would prefer either Castrol or Mobil. Can anyone enlighten me?
I question the whole premise of "required".

For small motors, we change the oil often to keep up with contaminants and degradation due to heat. But the SH125 is liquid cooled, so there's primarily contaminants to deal with. But it's not a wet clutch, so there's not a lot of those.

It's a Honda, use the recommended oil and stick to the maintenance schedule and it'll last as long as you feel like throwing new tires at it.

Although blenders are not required to report, there is a list. Some have synthetic in the name, I wouldn't be too concerned about using a 40-grade if you find one.

I see they have a new 2023 version of JASO T 903.

1687990021079.jpg

Just got a Honda sh 125. Honda recommended oil is 10w-30 Jaso mb. Would like a fully synthetic 10w-30 Jason mb. Cannot find one. Would prefer either Castrol or Mobil. Can anyone enlighten me?
I would think Honda branded oil in 10W-30 would have the correct JASO spec.

How could JASO know for *sure* it meets any requirement when
JASO does not test oils??? They register oils based on manufacturer
data ...
Anyone wanting to file and register the oil needs to send in the test date so JASO can verify it meets the test specs listed in the JASO documentation. It's all laid out in Figure 1 and Sections 4.4 and 4.5 of the JASO T 903:2023. See that "Test Report" requirement under the Submitter column.

1687992324349.png

1687992927695.png

Last edited:
A decent JASO MA/MA1/MA2 basic summary from Lubrizol. They didn't break down the friction index groups here though
between MA/MA1/MA2.

Looks good on paper Zee but JASO don't test so they will not assume any responsibility of the oils performance because they
can't be sure if the documentation was pencil whipped or not...

Quote JASO
"JASO will not assume any responsibility or performance of four cycle oils on file"

Attachments

• 100DollarBills1.JPG
    100DollarBills1.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Looks good on paper Zee but JASO don't test so they will not assume any responsibility of the oils performance because they
can't be sure if the documentation was pencil whipped or not...

Quote JASO
"JASO will not assume any responsibility or performance of four cycle oils on file"
That goes for a lot of products that consumers buy. You either trust the process or you don't. I can't see a big well known oil maker lying and making up test date and information to JASO to get their motorcycle oil JASO registered. Some unknown off the wall oil brand ... maybe. I'm sure if they got caught lying about it they would be punished, as mentioned in the JASO document. Would that stop some morons that lie about their products? ... who knows, but I'd sure think the big name oil makers wouldn't want to take the chance.

1688085156050.png

Back