White noise generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am interested in purchasing a white noise generator for masking road noise in a bedroom .

I looked at a few on amazon and cant decide if the "fan in a box" mechanical type or a digital model would be more effective at blocking the low frequencies from trucks passing by .

Anyone ever use these and had good/ bad results ?

If you have a smartphone or tablet you can try a free app to see if the digital type works for you.

We have a really old iPod touch app we use with white noise generator for our now 2 year old on occasion when other kids are over to make sure she gets her mid PM nap.

We've used one of these machines in the past, with good results, but this is very subjective/personal, so YMMV.

Or you could just download an MP3 of white noise from internet and play it through your phone/computer/stereo in the bedroom to see if it solves your problem.

Low freq. are tough to block. In a pinch, you can set an FM receiver to any freq. without a carrier. That's a pretty good approx. of white noise.

Another solution is ear plugs.....

Thanks for the input .

I just played a few vids on youtube with various fans, air conditioners recorded for 8 hour sleep purposes . Pretty interesting .

Ramblejam, that is so true ! I have a Wind Machine box fan that works to mask the noise but makes the room cold after a while during the winter months .

That Marpac model looks promising .

Originally Posted By: sleepery
Ramblejam, that is so true ! I have a Wind Machine box fan that works to mask the noise but makes the room cold after a while during the winter months .

I use a box fan myself for white noise, and put an oil-filled radiator in front of it.

Works wonderfully, and keeps the room whatever temp I'd like.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
We use an air filter. We like it so much and are so used to it now we can't sleep without it.

Attach a panel filter to the back of a box fan.

When at home, I use a fan year round. In the winter, I point it so that it blows into the master bathroom, to reduce the "wind chill"...
smile.gif

I also have a Marpac unit that I use when I travel. I got this one free by using points on my credit card.

https://www.marpac.com/dohm-product-category/product/46-dohm-ds-tan.html

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Buy a box fan.

Seriously.

We've used a Lasko Wind Machine for air movement during the day and white noise at night for several years and it works great for us.

I should add that we also have a ceiling fan going, on low, and they both run 24/7/365. I think we're on our 3rd Lasko in 4 or 5 years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bornconfuzd
I think we're on our 3rd Lasko in 4 or 5 years.

I'll give you a great piece of advice that's especially appropriate for this forum.

http://www.3inone.com/products/motor-oil/

This stuff is only a few bucks are the local store, and will last a lifetime.

Each six months, take the grills off and clean the blades. Then, place a few drops of 3-IN-ONE Motor Oil on each side of the motor, letting it work into the bearing assembly.

Whether we're discussing tiny computer fans, or large box ones, a little maintenance and lube goes a long ways on extending life.

I agree with Quattro Pete. The "original" style white noise machine is one of the best in my opinion (my stepson uses one nightly) but sleep noise preferences can vary greatly from person to person.

I just ran a cheap fan for many years. About 5yrs ago I tried ear plugs for sleeping. Now I can't fall asleep without earplugs mashed in. No more need for a fan, but I do have an aquarium in the bedroom that gives off a constant hum.

FWIW, I've done shift work for the past 20+ years. 50/50 days/nights.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Buy a box fan.

Seriously.

This hands down!! I've been using one for this very reason. I have the all metal box fan from Walmart.

I use a Honeywell turboforce fan for white noise every night. I live in the city at a stop sign, along the trolley line.

I clean and oil it every 6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back