OEM Headlights upgrade to LED White Bright Headlights

H4 LED's in a 2008 CRV, reflector housings, bulbs twist to align pattern. Sylvania Silverstar on left. low and high. No getting flashed. Then HID in Halogen projector lows in Accord, the road and fence slope. Also Accord in snow.
nineo H4 LED 1.jpg

nineo H4 LED 2.jpg

Accord HID.jpg

snow hid1.jpg

One problem with LED's, even factory is the lack of heat for snowy weather if you encounter any. This was today driving home 25 miles from work, at least it was daytime. 2019 Honda Pilot EX-L, factory projector low beam LED's and LED factory fogs.

The HID's in my Accord (in factory halogen projectors) and Hella DE fogs have no problem and generate enough heat to melt. They are also aimed correctly. I get flashed more with the Pilot even after correctly aiming the lights. Low beams were too high, one fog was high one was very low from when we got it new. First night driving it I was like ***? View attachment 203393
Morimoto 2stroke version 4 advertises heat conduction through built in channels. idk if in the real world this helps, but that their claim.
They also do drl led function.
So far the downside is cost of entry for the lamps

Morimoto 2stroke version 4 advertises heat conduction through built in channels. idk if in the real world this helps, but that their claim.
They also do drl led function.
So far the downside is cost of entry for the lamps
I might need to try out a set. I like the HID's in mine also for the "warmer" closer to 4500k temperature. Less reflection off snow/rain etc and easier on my eyes.

Changed to LEDs (Auxito brand, has cooling fans) last year in my 2011 Ranger and made sure to re-aim the headlamps, yes, to the right a bit. The housings were 2 years old and in excellent condition, as I had replaced them right after buying the truck. Also replaced the driving-light bulbs (in the front bumper) with LEDs (again Auxito).

The light pattern is "patchier" than the stock halogen bulbs, but the brightness and pattern are otherwise much better than stock. The factory output with 9007 bulbs was miserable, and headlights are a common complaint with Ranger owners. The LED replacements make a real difference. I seldom get other drivers flashing their brights at me, probably because I did take the time to re-aim the housings. I do want to be responsible and not disturb other drivers, especially since so many others now drive with high-beams on constantly.

On a scale of 0–10, the factory 9007 bulbs were no better than 3–4. The LED replacements in the stock housings are 6–7, which is better than it sounds.

I got the highest-end LED bulbs Auxito offered for the application. There were (IIRC) three options.

LED replacements have come a long way in the last few years.

Except for Philips and Osram. In its intended and approved applications and thoroughly aimed of course.
There are no iso/dot certified aftermarket led conversions. There maybe some kits better than others but..... You really think that some company making cheap kits spent the millions of dollars to test their products in the hundreds of makes and models? Very unlikely. There's a reason that a Luxeon headlamp is $1,500 per side. It takes alot to accurately engineer lighting mechanisms.

There are no iso/dot certified aftermarket led conversions. There maybe some kits better than others but..... You really think that some company making cheap kits spent the millions of dollars to test their products in the hundreds of makes and models? Very unlikely. There's a reason that a Luxeon headlamp is $1,500 per side. It takes alot to accurately engineer lighting mechanisms.
They are legal in Europe, in approved housings.

I have never had LED headlights nor do I plan to make the switch but....

that post is near a decade old and LED bulbs are not built the same way as they used to be. There are sites and YouTube channels dedicated to in depth reviewing that break it down in an easily digestible way. I've seen several sets of lights that near duplicate the halogen pattern aside from just being brighter (when clocked correctly)

I cannot remember the last time a car that wasn't using its highbeams blinded me but on a nightly basis there are stock modern trucks and SUVs that do and this is especially so while riding in a car.

I find the argument against them (muh DOT) kind of the same as when people bring up alternative AC refrigerants and muh EPA certification.
government entities are not exactly known for making well reasoned and rational decisions

download (8).jpg

Changed to LEDs (Auxito brand, has cooling fans) last year in my 2011 Ranger and made sure to re-aim the headlamps, yes, to the right a bit. The housings were 2 years old and in excellent condition, as I had replaced them right after buying the truck. Also replaced the driving-light bulbs (in the front bumper) with LEDs (again Auxito).

The light pattern is "patchier" than the stock halogen bulbs, but the brightness and pattern are otherwise much better than stock. The factory output with 9007 bulbs was miserable, and headlights are a common complaint with Ranger owners. The LED replacements make a real difference. I seldom get other drivers flashing their brights at me, probably because I did take the time to re-aim the housings. I do want to be responsible and not disturb other drivers, especially since so many others now drive with high-beams on constantly.

On a scale of 0–10, the factory 9007 bulbs were no better than 3–4. The LED replacements in the stock housings are 6–7, which is better than it sounds.

I got the highest-end LED bulbs Auxito offered for the application. There were (IIRC) three options.

LED replacements have come a long way in the last few years.
I'm not familiar with Fords as I am mid 60's GM and Nissans but I do know there are a lot of vehicles on the road with voltage drop issues at the headlights. Installing a relay (if not equipped) with a 12 awg lead at the battery and adding another ground wire can do wonders on a stock halogen setup. Would not surprise me at all if they used undersized wiring

I have never had LED headlights nor do I plan to make the switch but....

that post is near a decade old and LED bulbs are not built the same way as they used to be. There are sites and YouTube channels dedicated to in depth reviewing that break it down in an easily digestible way. I've seen several sets of lights that near duplicate the halogen pattern aside from just being brighter (when clocked correctly)

I cannot remember the last time a car that wasn't using its highbeams blinded me but on a nightly basis there are stock modern trucks and SUVs that do and this is especially so while riding in a car.

I find the argument against them (muh DOT) kind of the same as when people bring up alternative AC refrigerants and muh EPA certification.
government entities are not exactly known for making well reasoned and rational decisions

View attachment 203429
The facts are the same, halogen filaments are small, LEDs are big. The physics haven’t changed. The latest generation of +150 exetra bulbs are mainly improvements because of more precise filament placement.

They are legal in Europe, in approved housings.
In "approved housings". Enough said. Most US DOT housings aren't approved and create glare and hotspots. Lighting is the only place the the E.U got right. Their Fascist control over vehicle modification still a amazes and frustrates European owners. I've met MANY people who came here from Europe, Australia, and New Zealand who appreciate the hands off approach that many agencies have.

In "approved housings". Enough said. Most US DOT housings aren't approved and create glare and hotspots. Lighting is the only place the the E.U got right. Their Fascist control over vehicle modification still a amazes and frustrates European owners. I've met MANY people who came here from Europe, Australia, and New Zealand who appreciate the hands off approach that many agencies have.
If Philips spent the two plus million dollars to actually certify their leds as an option I might take a look.

One problem with LED's, even factory is the lack of heat for snowy weather if you encounter any. This was today driving home 25 miles from work, at least it was daytime. 2019 Honda Pilot EX-L, factory projector low beam LED's and LED factory fogs.

The HID's in my Accord (in factory halogen projectors) and Hella DE fogs have no problem and generate enough heat to melt. They are also aimed correctly. I get flashed more with the Pilot even after correctly aiming the lights. Low beams were too high, one fog was high one was very low from when we got it new. First night driving it I was like ***? View attachment 203393
Coat your headlights with Rain-X. That helps.

First upgrade I did on my Triumph Thruxton motorcycle. Saved my life several times. Honestly not joking. No, they don't blind but I immediately noticed how much better other drivers see me, particularly at intersection after several nasty moments.

I’m curious - how do you know there are “no complaints”? Oncoming drivers would be the ones to judge if your converted lights were obnoxious.

How did you solicit their opinion?

Or is it, “no complaints” from your side, while you’re blinding oncoming drivers with a lousy light pattern?
All modern led headlamps are obnoxious. Even the fancy OEM's

All modern led headlamps are obnoxious. Even the fancy OEM's
My buddy’s mom really did go off the road from being blinded by a small Subaru. Was it a cost issue as to why adaptive xenon became extinct? Imho they are good, for the driver, and oncoming traffic…

My buddy’s mom really did go off the road from being blinded by a small Subaru. Was it a cost issue as to why adaptive xenon became extinct? Imho they are good, for the driver, and oncoming traffic…
They fail rate on the adaptive system was high and the mechanism is complex.

Most led systems can do all that fancy stuff through software in everywhere but nadm, where regulations are so backwards that we get good ole fixed partially height adjustable led systems.

Back