Which RTV for Water pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be replacing my water pump on my 2009 Toyota Camry with a OEM / Aisin pump and it does not come with a gasket. It says to use a RTV. I honestly don't have much experience with RTV but I have heard that Toyota's FIPG (Form In Place Gasket) is great and so is Hondabond. Anyone have any feedback on some RTV? What is good and what to avoid?

As long as its a good Ultra RTV or better grade you should be fine. I prefer to use a gasket with a little Ultra RTV myself on the 4cyls.

How hard is it to replace the pump? I would swear and buy their darn stuff. Or dig out my gasket paper and make one. That is an example of de-contenting.
frown.gif

Originally Posted by diyjake
I personally like gaskets over RTV but this water pump doesn't come with a gasket so I have no choice.

They do make a gasket, some don't come with one but its out there.

Only the cheap aftermarket water pumps come with a gasket not the OEM / Aisin ones and I have not been able to find one separate at least not for my vehicle.

Permatex Ultra is a better option over their Water Pump & Thermostat RTV Silicone Gasket Maker?

I believe the Water pump and thermostat gasket maker comes in a smaller tube so you don't waste as much. I have used it without any issues. If you like, pose the question to Permatex. Their tech guys get back the next day.

Last edited:
I've had good luck with the WP/Thermostat RTV myself. I'm sure the ultra would be fine, but as few water pumps as I change I see no reason to not use the stuff they say is specifically for it.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Permatex Ultra is a better option ?

I believe the Water pump and thermostat gasket maker comes in a smaller tube so you don't waste as much.

Yes, the small tube is just "plain blue" RTV, and I would never use it.

I use Ultra Blue for water pumps.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Three Bond 1207B

Toyota FIPG is made by Three Bond, this is probably the same thing.

Last edited:
Use Toyota FIPG. You want go wrong as it is made for Toyota mating services. I have used this more times than I can remember as I worked at dealer for a decade or so and never had a return for leaks from dealer.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Three Bond 1207B

Toyota FIPG is made by Three Bond, this is probably the same thing.

Correct.

There should be a gasket - even the Aisin service pumps for the Lexus V8s come with a gasket, those were originally FIPG.

Toyota does have a special FIPG RTV for coolant applications(1282B) but the dealer techs will use the regular black stuff - it's not Permatex Ultra Black but a ThreeBond formulation.

Ultra Copper has impressed me on water pumps and intake manifolds on modded turbo cars. Is there a reason to use something besides Ultra Copper? Other than maybe black if wanting more oil resistance.

Originally Posted by nthach
There should be a gasket - even the Aisin service pumps for the Lexus V8s come with a gasket, those were originally FIPG.

Toyota does have a special FIPG RTV for coolant applications(1282B) but the dealer techs will use the regular black stuff - it's not Permatex Ultra Black but a ThreeBond formulation.

1282B part# 08826-00100 is like $60-70 per tube, no clue who buys it at that price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back