Which 5W30 oil does not shear in 5k OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked in the UOA section but could not really find the answer.
So, which 'over the counter' 5W30 oil will not shear to a 20 within a 5k OCI?

Most API SM oils are shear stable and maintain their viscosity well.

Personally, I think it depends on the engine too.

I have an Isuzu 3.2L that I have tried at least 5 different - off the shelf, name brand 5w-30 weight oils - all of these oils sheared to 20wts within 3-4k miles. This includes synthetic blend oils.

Here some additional information which may help. It is for an '03 Duratec 3.0L V6 with 85k on it. Mainly city driving.
Recommended oil: 5W20, but I want to go to a 5W30 for the summer here in texas (never below 80F).

Pick up some high mileage 5W-30; it's on the upper end of the 30 weight and gives you some allowance for shearing without going down to a 20 weight.
smile.gif

I disagree a bit with buster. I say a number of 5W-30's shear when I look at UOA's posted here. And I'll add that it really hasn't effect the wear numbers, but if you want a more shear stable oil, you usually have to pay a bit more $ to move up the base oil group type ladder (so to speak).

I think Pablo is correct.

Most of my 5w-30 UOAs have sheared. (timing chain 4cyl motor that is close to 3k RPM for most of the OCI)

And I've done more than a few of them...
09.gif

I'm in the camp it does not matter.

It has not affected my low number UOAs. In fact the UOAs where the oil did not shear the metals were higher. Who knows what is up with that?
grin2.gif

Take care, bill

so what would the solution be? use 10w-30 of any SM or use 5w-30 of a higher / better base stock?

I would say all dino 5w30's shear to 5W20 but --- Who cares? As long as the engine wear is acceptable.

I am experimenting with Maxlife 5W20 in my 1994 Accord but i am not too worried === based on the UOA data i have seen here showing many Honda engines running on oil that has sheared to a 5W20 with low wear numbers.

Edit - If you want an oil that doesn't shear go with a name brand synthetic such as PP 5W30

Last edited:
I had the same question awhile back. The UOA data I found suggested that synthetic 5W30 don't usually shear out of grade (below 9.3 cSt), and most dinos do. Here's what I posted back then:

bitog link

From the data, it would seem that the seq VIII test doesn't do a very good job of predicting shear in real world driving.

Without your/others independent testing, I would go with oil ACEA A3 rated. They are tested to have better HTHS.

The only A3 5W30 that comes to mind would be Maxlife Synth. There may be others. M1 has a 10W30 HM rated A3. GC (see euro section) 0W30 would likely be very sheer stable.

Like others have said...who cares ?

It may be slight advantage, as thin is in.

My redline 5W30 was still 10.0cSt after 5000 miles in a toyota 4 cyl timing chain engine. It's OTC at the motorcycle shop down the street.
dB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back