When Was the Last Time You Asked to be Forgiven?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've acted like a jerk many times in my life. Most of the time I end up going back and saying I'm sorry and ask that person to forgive me. Last month a few people came to my memory of how I had been a butt hole to them and I felt like I needed to apologize. Well, actually it was 2 people. One was the owner of an auto shop I screwed over 20 years ago and the other was a Postmaster that I lost it with back in April of this year.

I finally sucked it up and went to the auto shop owner to apologize and I explained to him what I had done. He said he didn't remember but he did say he forgave me. Ok, one down and one more to go. This Postmaster involved anger and me calling her a liar. Yeah, I was having a rough period with several personal issues. I had to drive a couple of hours to the Post Office involved. I was really nervous. Anyways, I went in the the clerk definitely remembered me. I told her I needed to speak with the Postmaster. She hesitated so I told her it was all good. I waited for a minute or so and her comes the Postmaster out. She moved me down the window away from the other customers. I told her I disrespected her, acted like a fool, said some terrible things and told her I was sorry. I asked her to forgive me and she extended her hand and said the would and then she said, "God bless you."

It sure feels good to be forgiven.
happy2.gif

When was the last time you went to someone for forgiveness?

October 23, 2018.

He said all is forgiven. And even promised me eternal life.

Well worth it if you ask me.
thumbsup2.gif

It's usually healthy to bury the hatchet if you can.
I had a negative interaction with a women at work some months back in which I allowed my preoccupation with the task at hand to guide me to basically dismiss her from my office along with the concerns that she had.
She showed up some weeks later looking for one of my subordinates to assist her.
I motioned her into my office and she asked if I wanted to talk.
I said that I did, so she closed my office door and we had a talk.
I told her that I was sorry I dismissed her so rudely but that I had been in the middle of something fairly complicated and did not need to be disturbed.
She said that she had wondered whether this was a racial thing and I replied that she'd known me for years and that she should know that race was not a factor.
She opened her arms and we exchanged a big hug and that was it.
Sometimes, you just have to ask someone else's forgiveness.
It's good to concede fault to others where you should.

When I was in high school I was working in a supermarket. A coworker thought I had reported him to the store manager for going into the frozen food freezer and eating ice cream without paying for it.

The coworker cussed me out for 5 minutes straight and wanted to kick my [censored]....

About an hour later the guy finds out it was another person that tried to get him fired and begged for forgiveness and said he was way out of line for doing what he did.

I said it's OK, but next time make sure you know who the real trouble maker is. I wasn't upset and forgot about it 10 minutes later. Luckily he didn't take a swing at me cause I would have easily kicked HIS [censored].

06.gif
09.gif
07.gif

Originally Posted by fdcg27
It's usually healthy to bury the hatchet if you can.
I had a negative interaction with a women at work some months back in which I allowed my preoccupation with the task at hand to guide me to basically dismiss her from my office along with the concerns that she had.
She showed up some weeks later looking for one of my subordinates to assist her.
I motioned her into my office and she asked if I wanted to talk.
I said that I did, so she closed my office door and we had a talk.
I told her that I was sorry I dismissed her so rudely but that I had been in the middle of something fairly complicated and did not need to be disturbed.
She said that she had wondered whether this was a racial thing and I replied that she'd known me for years and that she should know that race was not a factor.
She opened her arms and we exchanged a big hug and that was it.
Sometimes, you just have to ask someone else's forgiveness.
It's good to concede fault to others where you should.

Good point. And great info
smile.gif

Good topic!

When I think I'm in the wrong, I try to be quick to apologize. I mean a sincere apology in which I take blame for my bad behavior, not a non-apology like "I'm sorry there was a misunderstanding."

Given that this an automotive forum, here's a tie-in: I bought an expensive new AGM battery (an Optima Redtop) from Walmart in early 2011. It helped for a few weeks, and then I had another no-start. I figured the new battery was bad, and took it back. The fellow at the auto desk said he couldn't replace it without testing it. I had to leave it overnight while they charged it. Came back a day later and he said that it was good. I didn't believe him, and told him so.

Did some more troubleshooting (which I should have done in the first place) and found that the starter was bad. I replaced it, and the battery I'd figured was bad gave us another 8-1/2 years of service - it went to the junkyard with the van, having never given a problem. Anyway, after I'd replaced the starter I went back to Walmart and apologized to the fellow at the desk. He seemed quite surprised, and was quick to forgive. Not sure if he didn't remember, or whether he was stunned by someone apologizing.

On the flip side, when I've been wronged I'm quick to forgive anyone who apologizes sincerely, but have a lot of trouble forgiving if there is no genuine apology. Still working on that.

Originally Posted by Number_35
On the flip side, when I've been wronged I'm quick to forgive anyone who apologizes sincerely, but have a lot of trouble forgiving if there is no genuine apology. Still working on that.

That brings up the question: Has anybody sincerely asked for forgiveness and it was not given but instead turned out to be another moment of strife?

Originally Posted by Gebo
When Was the Last Time You Asked to be Forgiven?

Never that I remember.
I've always looked forward, not backward. Things that happen in the past can't be changed. I've apologized a few times, but never asked for forgiveness. When I make a mistake I learn from it, on rare occasions apologize, and then move on.

This chic at work left some cupcakes on the break-room table. I had part of one. There were no labels or anything on the box denoting them as "not for us", and 1 was already missing, so I presumed it was a drop off from family or something for staff. Indeed it was not, it was for HER family. She was genuinely sad. I apologized, but didn't "ask for forgiveness".

I don't know if anyone saw this on the news yesterday. But this Dallas Texas cop was convicted of murder, and got 10 years in prison for shooting and killing a guy who was sitting in his apartment on his couch, eating a bowl of ice cream. (She had entered his apartment by mistake, and thought it was hers, and he was an intruder).

The guy's brother gave a statement in the courtroom, after she was sentenced. He said he not only forgave her, but said he wishes she didn't have to go to jail. And then asked the judge if he could give her a hug! The judge said yes.

There wasn't a dry eye in that entire courtroom. In my 67 years of living, that was without question the biggest act of forgiveness I have ever witnessed. And I highly doubt I'll ever live to see another one like it...... Especially in today's world.

Originally Posted by billt460
I don't know if anyone saw this on the news yesterday. But this Dallas Texas cop was convicted of murder, and got 10 years in prison for shooting and killing a guy who was sitting in his apartment on his couch, eating a bowl of ice cream. (She had entered his apartment by mistake, and thought it was hers, and he was an intruder).

The guy's brother gave a statement in the courtroom, after she was sentenced. He said he not only forgave her, but said he wishes she didn't have to go to jail. And then asked the judge if he could give her a hug! The judge said yes.

There wasn't a dry eye in that entire courtroom. In my 67 years of living, that was without question the biggest act of forgiveness I have ever witnessed. And I highly doubt I'll ever live to see another one like it...... Especially in today's world.

Hopefully that act of forgiveness can mend other social problems

Why not before, eh? Took a lot of the punch and meaning out of it.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Why not before, eh? Took a lot of the punch and meaning out of it.

Really? How so?.... And remember, it's not up to the victims family members when they are allowed to speak. It's up to the judge and the court. Both when and if.

Asked for forgiveness …. never
Apologized …. can't recall any
Admitted (to myself) I was a jerk when I was young …. ALOT
As long as you aim for continuous improvement, your behavior should not be questioned.

It's easy to criticize people in our lives.
I always ask myself, "am I guilty of the same behavior" /it does help me understand people and myself better.

But I have met people who just decide they don't like me.
That's not my problem and I have nothing to apologize for.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back