hyundai dealership experience.

I'm not one to play bash the dealer like so many do. Here is my personal experience with hyundai within the last month.

Got the pleasure of visiting three of them in the San Antonio area, for three different reasons.

#1- 2017 Tucson, Scheduled an appointment for the recall to the anti-theft system to resolve the "TikTok" issue. I scheduled the appointment with the dealer a month in advance. Literature from Hyundai said "takes about an hour" "a simple computer flash".

Drove down there this morning at 730. Dealership is in absolute shambles. Cars waiting for service parked everywhere. Crates of new motors sitting everywhere, and littered all over the place. I'm greeted by a 20 year old service writer with probably 25 sets of keys laying on his desk. "I don't know what they told you, but if you leave it we MAY be able to get to it on MONDAY." Today was saturday. For a one hour computer flash procedure. Told the guy nope and walked out with no service.

I had ordered some trim clips for the same car, and placed a parts request online through the same dealer, and followed up with a phone call. No record of my parts request when I got there, and the kid couldn't figure out how to charge me for the parts so he just gave me them and sent me on my way. 99 cent plastic trim clips.

#2- My wife is assigned an Elantra for her job at the Federal Government. They have a contract with jiffy lube for oil changes and the Hyundai dealer for everything else. She took the car in with an appointment to get 4 tires put on it. Car sat at the dealer for three weeks, dealer never looked at the car. Her supervisor went to the dealer to see what the deal was, and ended up taking the car to another dealer.

#3- Same problem, different dealer, still needs 4 tires put on the car. Dealer #2 takes 4 days to even quote a set of 4 tires, and we are still pending service after a week. Car still parked at dealer #2. I believe the quote was $607 for 4 no name tires on a base model elantra with hub caps.

Back to problem #1 with our personal car needing the computer flash. Called Hyundai corporate. They gave me a case number and suggested that I take the car to a dealer that is 42 miles away from my house for service. I set an appointment with them for September 8th, their earliest booking.

I'm not one to play bash the dealer like so many do. Here is my personal experience with hyundai within the last month.

Got the pleasure of visiting three of them in the San Antonio area, for three different reasons.

#1- 2017 Tucson, Scheduled an appointment for the recall to the anti-theft system to resolve the "TikTok" issue. I scheduled the appointment with the dealer a month in advance. Literature from Hyundai said "takes about an hour" "a simple computer flash".

Drove down there this morning at 730. Dealership is in absolute shambles. Cars waiting for service parked everywhere. Crates of new motors sitting everywhere, and littered all over the place. I'm greeted by a 20 year old service writer with probably 25 sets of keys laying on his desk. "I don't know what they told you, but if you leave it we MAY be able to get to it on MONDAY." Today was saturday. For a one hour computer flash procedure. Told the guy nope and walked out with no service.

I had ordered some trim clips for the same car, and placed a parts request online through the same dealer, and followed up with a phone call. No record of my parts request when I got there, and the kid couldn't figure out how to charge me for the parts so he just gave me them and sent me on my way. 99 cent plastic trim clips.

#2- My wife is assigned an Elantra for her job at the Federal Government. They have a contract with jiffy lube for oil changes and the Hyundai dealer for everything else. She took the car in with an appointment to get 4 tires put on it. Car sat at the dealer for three weeks, dealer never looked at the car. Her supervisor went to the dealer to see what the deal was, and ended up taking the car to another dealer.

#3- Same problem, different dealer, still needs 4 tires put on the car. Dealer #2 takes 4 days to even quote a set of 4 tires, and we are still pending service after a week. Car still parked at dealer #2. I believe the quote was $607 for 4 no name tires on a base model elantra with hub caps.

Back to problem #1 with our personal car needing the computer flash. Called Hyundai corporate. They gave me a case number and suggested that I take the car to a dealer that is 42 miles away from my house for service. I set an appointment with them for September 8th, their earliest booking.
Sounds like Hyundai is following the Ford dealership model... :ROFLMAO:

Yikes! Luckily it isn't quite that bad here. I mean it's not good but definitely not booked 6 weeks out.

My Genesis was just at the (Hyundai) dealer for 2 weeks while they repainted the hood. They didn't even repaint it, they had a mobile guy come out and fix it in a single day. Took 2 weeks? I had also asked for an oil change (gasp, I know, this is BITOG. First time I've ever had someone change my oil). When I showed up to pick up the car they forgot to change the oil, so I waited while they changed it. About 45 minutes. At least they were apologetic and did it for free. Also had trouble getting anyone to call me back the whole time or provide an update. At least they had given me a loaner.

BTW they repainted the hood because they messed it up in their detail shop upon delivery. And I had to point out the 2.5" chunk of missing clear coat. They didn't fess up on their own.

But that was the purchasing dealership. I'll be taking it to another one from here on out that I had a great experience with with my previous Genesis.

I've heard that most service centres are understaffed and have huge backlogs - this is in SW Ontario, so I guess it's all over the place now?
This is a huge deal. They are calling it "techmageddon" because so many techs are bailing to either retire or work in another field. Also parts availability is a huge issue still which backs up everything.

Also when calling to make an appointment, odds are the person you are talking to has no idea whatsoever about the repair. We get countless calls transferred everyday in parts from our appointment people where customers ask all sorts of questions about repairs and what is involved in doing them and how long they will take. Why to parts you may ask? Because we answer the phone.

So maybe not just a Hyundai/Kia problem?
I do know that when I needed urgent service on the HAH the dealer service department looked well staffed and they had the car completed the next morning.
Maybe they just pay their techs more or maybe Honda is more generous with labor allowed for warranty work?
I know that were I a tech I wouldn't be thrilled with engine R&Rs at the rate and hours Hyundai pays.

At least my M-B dealer is quick and competent; the battery replacement (warranty) in my C43 took less than an hour. When I had a flat and had it delivered to the dealer the service department opened at 7:30 am; at 7:27 am my service advisor had texted me to let me know that they were checking the RF tire issue. I texted back that I would like to go ahead and have the Service A performed. He said that was no problem.. At 9:00 am he advised that the tire had a hole in the sidewall and that the rear brake pads were close to the minimums; I authorized replacing them. At 11:18 am the car was washed and ready to be picked up.
Overall it was a very impressive experience.
My BMW dealer is also very good- and since I started using a BMW rewards MasterCard I haven't paid for parts or service for over a year.

Texan Hyundai was good when I had mine. My Ford dealer now is excellent. Makes it worth driving past or farther than 13 others to use my dealer.

Texan Hyundai was good when I had mine. My Ford dealer now is excellent. Makes it worth driving past or farther than 13 others to use my dealer.
If you find a good Ford (or any other) dealer, be sure to give them ALL your business. I have to shout out Wetzel Ford in Richmond, IN-they are pretty much the only Ford dealership I can trust to do anything correctly & in a timely fashion these days. I just wish they weren’t 60 miles & 1 1/4 hours away! In 26+ years of Ford company vans, I have tried THEM ALL here!

Our local (Lebanon TN) Hyundai dealer was good for us, in taking care of an airbag related TSB in our 08 Accent. Scheduled appt for dropoff, dropped it off, had car back before quoted time. This was a repair where they had to send the passenger seat base to corporate to have the occupancy sensor mat replaced, even.

I've rarely felt like I was getting great service from any dealership. I think the local Ford dealer was the worst overall just in terms of being totally out of touch regarding inconvenience for the customer. Subaru was probably the best overall. Our local Kia place is decent enough.

This is a huge deal. They are calling it "techmageddon" because so many techs are bailing to either retire or work in another field. Also parts availability is a huge issue still which backs up everything.
I have to take issue with your wording. They arent bailing. They are being kicked out. There is a formula for how much crap they are willing to eat while destroying their body and crippling themselves before living under a bridge or flipping burgers becomes a better proposition.
Dealer business mentality of "f-k you pay me" is a two way street.
Or better yet "if I am forced to eat so much **** and deal with so much stress I may as well hang my own shing up" Its up or out because staying in is not practical.

Working in the "Industry" I see first hand the backlog and massive delays for parts and availability.... sometimes months out. I also see near every shop is very understaffed, (and most advisors, techs, and A,B master techs are underpaid/flat rate/warranty pay) so the "attention" to detail is lost before the first service visit.

This is not a "Hyundai" experience, but EVERY vehicle manufacturer, and service center appears to have the same issues in this regards.

We have over 300 open work orders currently, and they keep adding up faster than we can address the issues, so the numbers are growing daily.

Back