When should I do the first oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I can't find any PUP. Does any buddy have opinion on Quaker State Ultimate Durability Full Synthetic?

Originally Posted By: Twodogs10mm
Ok so I can't find any PUP. Does any buddy have opinion on Quaker State Ultimate Durability Full Synthetic?

Put it in on my last OCI its right at 3K now seems to be doing just fine. See sig line.

Last edited:
Excellent oil … I have used it a couple times (have a bit left) and it’s had good UOA’s here …

Originally Posted By: Twodogs10mm

What about just Pennzoil Platinum? It is an excellent full synthetic oil and receives excellent UOA's consistently. Imo, unless you are going to work your Ram hard and go with extended drain intervals, there is no need for the Ultra, and even then, the Pennzoil Platinum would still be more than adequate.
Maybe some others will disagree with this, and I'd like to hear why, but that is what I have learned on here and what I have used and done since around 59,000 km's.

Just did the first OCI(7 quarts) on my wife's new 2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R at 5100 miles. Drove 80/20 highway over rural and did not burn any oil at all. The oil was at the full mark when the dealer did the OCI... Somewhat surprised that it did not go through any oil. The Boxer 6 is very smooth and the mileage has been very good.

Hogwash. The only thing you've ever "debunked" is your own imagination. No one including me has called your differing opinion(s) ridiculous. Why do you feel the need to use such derogatory language? Perhaps compensation for something you're not; like a degreed expert in the field of lubrication? As if your opinion is any more valid? Name calling and ridicule are what is taught in sixth grade debate class when you have no reasoned arguments to counter your opponents. Anyone who cares to can read Mr. Fitch's qualifications online. http://www.noria.com/team/jim-fitch/ Where are yours?

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
The reason that I replied to your original post was that you've previously posted the ridiculous break-in OCI schedule recommended by Mr. Jim and I debunked it then and feel the need to do so again so as not to leave new members with the false impression that this is somehow the received wisdom of the one true expert rather than the one man's opinion that it is.

I daresay most adults understand the word RECOMMENDATIONS. I doubt you are a board member or Director of the International Council for Mahinery Lubrication. How many patents do you hold and what is the subject matter of your published technical papers? Here are some of Mr. Fitch's technical articles: http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Authors/Detail/1

Again, most adults understand the word RECOMMENDATIONS. And finally, I think even new members can understand that there are differing opinions. Mr. Fitch's opinion is at least as valid as yours; I'd say his is about 1000 times more valid than yours, but that's MY opinion. Adult readers can draw their own conclusions, and I think it is very pertinent to share RECOMMENDATIONS from those who are superbly qualified to offer them (this statement does not include you). I feel no need to "debunk" or "ridicule" your opinion, I simply chose to ignore it, seeing it as worth what I paid for it.

QSUD is normally at Walmart for a very good price … bit harder to spot without the gold bottle …
(Shell’s marketing folks changed to a less glamorous bottle spread)

Well I changed it at 1462 miles. I used Quaker State ultimate Durability 5w-20 and K&N filter. We will see how it goes.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Follow the OEM maintenance guide.

I agree with this.
I used to believe that a couple of early drains were important to long engine life so I used to do them.
Not anymore.
If the manufacturer thought it mattered, then they'd specify it.
Heck, the OM for the newer Accord is pretty adamant about not doing an early drain of the FF, but what does Honda know?

OEMs only care about one thing and thats saving gas and reducing oil waste.

A friend of mine inquired to Honda about whether or not they use a "break in oil", which pretty much does not exist from what I understand, but they did tell him in an email that the internals coming from the manufacturing are coated with a very high moly substance before being filled with oil. They advised not to drain early because of that. This was on a 2016 Accord. I have no clue if this is the same for all manufacturers, but in some cases, it looks like early drains = draining some of the "good stuff".

I went until 5000 miles on my 4Runner with the factory fill that has a 10k mile OCI as instructed by the manual It's a port injected engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back