(B58 X3 M40i) Should I spend twice as much on Motul X-Clean+ for my first oil change

I have scoured countless forum posts and I can't find any consensus on this. I just know I have seen Motul recommended by many, including personal mechanically inclined friends. I have a 2024 BMW X3 M40i with the B58 engine (I believe its the B58 TU1?). I am about to do my first oil change at a bit over 1000mi, as for whatever reason BMW doesn't recommend/include a break-in oil change. I am ready to finally purchase some oil, and I figured I'd just go with the "best" being Motul X-Clean+ 5W-30. However, this oil is nearly twice as expensive as Pennzoil Platinum Euro L Full Synthetic 5W-30, which is another oil I've seen recommended on the forums for this SUV/engine.

I hate to open the flood gates to the LL-xx vs LL-xx FE arguments, but I'll add that I live in Texas and this SUV is primarily used for a ~10-min commute.

Should I really spend twice as much on the Motul X-Clean+, or go with something else?

In my 2020 X5 wB58 and dad’s F150 3.5 ecoboost I’m using whatever is in stock at Walmart at the time between Mobil 5w40, Mobil 0w40 or Quaker State 5w40. I’m in Houston and have a similar daily commute but long drives on the weekends.

Yeah it’s hard to beat pennzoil euro l 5w-30 for the price and availability. I am using castrol edge euro 0w-30 that I ordered online from walmart. I have 19 440i (B58). I have 2 UOAs of the factory fill and liqui moly posted too.

Sorry that you hate opening the door to the "LL-XX" arguments. The fact is that you are talking about a brand new, rather expensive sled, and disregarding the manufacturer's recommendations on both OCI and oil. There is little value in a 1,000 mile change in my opinion, and I am pretty sure that the dealer would be filling your sump with LL17fe+ BMW branded oil. The Motul brand is great. My preference is the Liqui Moly 6600 product. I am not familiar with the Motul product in this specification. You could certainly use either of the three oils for an early oil change.

Great car, congratulations. Wicked fast. Since you are under warranty, I would use the BMW OEM oil that is spec'd for the car (0W-20). And the next oil change should be done by the dealer... since it's included in the three year maintenance plan (and you want a record that it was done). I went through the same anguish trying to pick an oil for an early oil service (2,000 mi) on my 330i. In the end, I went the safe (easy?) route and bought OEM oil from the dealer.

I have scoured countless forum posts and I can't find any consensus on this. I just know I have seen Motul recommended by many, including personal mechanically inclined friends. I have a 2024 BMW X3 M40i with the B58 engine (I believe its the B58 TU1?). I am about to do my first oil change at a bit over 1000mi, as for whatever reason BMW doesn't recommend/include a break-in oil change. I am ready to finally purchase some oil, and I figured I'd just go with the "best" being Motul X-Clean+ 5W-30. However, this oil is nearly twice as expensive as Pennzoil Platinum Euro L Full Synthetic 5W-30, which is another oil I've seen recommended on the forums for this SUV/engine.

I hate to open the flood gates to the LL-xx vs LL-xx FE arguments, but I'll add that I live in Texas and this SUV is primarily used for a ~10-min commute.

Should I really spend twice as much on the Motul X-Clean+, or go with something else?
PP Euro would be also IMO better oil between two. X-Clean+ 5W30 formula was changed last year, and it is nothing spectacular (I have like 20ltrs on shelve). Still very good oil, but not worth penny over PPE L.
New Motul X-Clean+ 0W30 EFE is though very stout package and is PAO based. That oil is definitely better, newer formula, MB229.52 rated (though same as X-Clean+ 5W30).
I have new EFE in the sump in Atlas and will do UOA very soon.

Back