When do you plan on taking Social Security?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been working for 30 years now...social security will never be a part of my future...

As to planning, they change the rules at least every two years...retired debt so that I can save more...they change the rules limiting annual savings, and total retirement sums...

You try to play the long game, they check with the rules continuously...SRy touched on it with the old self funded pension schemes...govt resumed the funds.

Now Super savings are worth more than Australia's GDP...there's not e.ouch flies on the wall to get on to maintain returns, so govt is now looking at dipping into private funds to build infrastructure and guarantee a return on.

When Muldoon killed the contribution scheme, he set the pension at 80% of the average income, it's a long way from that now.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: Shannow

You're just bitter because you haven't, and probably won't prepare for retirement, and instead will just blame those who have...

LOL...you have no idea....

What I do know is I will be able to live comfortably in retirement because I worked all my life and planned smartly. Nothing was handed to me, and I had no opportunities that weren't available to everyone else.

Jealousy and bitterness, and I can't say as I blame them. The younger generations won't have the comfy retirements us boomers will have because the business world has become a bunch of greedy sharks. However, those who blame boomers for what's going on are wrong for doing so. Corporate greed crosses all boundaries, generational and all...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Why are some people anti baby boomer ?

They paid into the system for 40+ years...

Jealousy pure and simple. We had a much better earnings and retirement environment than they will.

That's exactly my point...the feckless (your beleifs) youth of today if they worked as hard and were equally as smart as Grampi wouldn't get the same deal...

The "deal" no longer exists...but to say so is "hate" "jealous" and "envy".

While the baby boomers were legislating it away for future generations, they were quite happy to secure it for themselves.

So YES Grampi, you have got something different handed to you than the later generations...a completely different playing field, which was what you reckon that I'm making up but admit that it exists.

If kids have to save $60k for a home deposit, after $150k of tuition debt, plus be told that you have to be prepared to move on every two years, as we don't owe you anything...what do you expect from them ?

It's not fecklessness, it's adaptation to the current scheme of things...just like you mastered (in your slightly more entitled existance).

You're just bitter because you haven't, and probably won't prepare for retirement, and instead will just blame those who have...

LOL...you have no idea....

What I do know is I will be able to live comfortably in retirement because I worked all my life and planned smartly. Nothing was handed to me, and I had no opportunities that weren't available to everyone else.

Jealousy and bitterness, and I can't say as I blame them. The younger generations won't have the comfy retirements us boomers will have because the business world has become a bunch of greedy sharks. However, those who blame boomers for what's going on are wrong for doing so. Corporate greed crosses all boundaries, generational and all...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Why are some people anti baby boomer ?

They paid into the system for 40+ years...

Jealousy pure and simple. We had a much better earnings and retirement environment than they will.

That's exactly my point...the feckless (your beleifs) youth of today if they worked as hard and were equally as smart as Grampi wouldn't get the same deal...

The "deal" no longer exists...but to say so is "hate" "jealous" and "envy".

While the baby boomers were legislating it away for future generations, they were quite happy to secure it for themselves.

So YES Grampi, you have got something different handed to you than the later generations...a completely different playing field, which was what you reckon that I'm making up but admit that it exists.

If kids have to save $60k for a home deposit, after $150k of tuition debt, plus be told that you have to be prepared to move on every two years, as we don't owe you anything...what do you expect from them ?

It's not fecklessness, it's adaptation to the current scheme of things...just like you mastered (in your slightly more entitled existance).

I believe I already stated that today's generation won't have the same opportunities that us boomers had, but if you've been working for 30 years, then you've had the same opportunities I had. You aren't part of today's generation. And quit saying boomers took everything away. I'm a boomer and I took absolutely nothing away from anyone...

What I do know is I will be able to live comfortably in retirement because I worked all my life and planned smartly. Nothing was handed to me, and I had no opportunities that weren't available to everyone else. Retirement is, as is life, what you make of it. You can sit around and blame others for your shortcomings, or you can get off your duff and do something about it. Either way, the result is because of what YOU did or didn't do...

Hmmm ... well, I see we agree on something !
Younger generation is spoiled rotten, thankful my children are hard working young adults and understand the value of money and the curse of debt.
I am proud of them in the fact that they understand how the world works and I will take credit for that.

Young people have been coddled way too much, Im not saying everyone, of course. But so many do nothing but whine and whine and whine, this isn't fair, that isn't fair, you cant do this, you cant do that..
For gods sake, we are a free people, have them get off their butts and work to survive, its that simple.
Either that or go move to China and live in a corporate commune and work under their rules and regulations.

Why on earth does ANYONE think there is such a thing as government money? WHY?
No such thing if you want to be a free person, the ONLY money government has is the money it takes from you and gives to other people!
NOT fair, lets go back to the old days, you dont work? YOU Dont survive. Keep government out of my pocket for these whiners.

I got to love the newest whining, college loans, poor students, they took out $100,000 loans and now cant pay them back and all they do is whine, well hello stupid, what do you think a loan is? Free money from my paycheck?
Its truly comical!

Last edited:
Retirement can be prep work but also involves opportunities or lack there of. Some live in the here and now. They spend and enjoy life now. Planning for the future is not a prior. Living a enjoyable life now is.
Others just have very little if any money to save or invest. They are living pay check to paycheck just to get by.

They have also kept kicking the can down the road on funding for SS and raided it.

I believe I already stated that today's generation won't have the same opportunities that us boomers had, but if you've been working for 30 years, then you've had the same opportunities I had. You aren't part of today's generation. And quit saying boomers took everything away. I'm a boomer and I took absolutely nothing away from anyone...

I told you what the baby boomers HAD in Oz, and the landscape that they left my kids after time in the sun writing the rules (in Australia).

They are the points that I am making.

Then to call them feckless is beyond ignorance.

I got my first check last month.
I still work full time and my SS will help get things paid off so when I do retire things will be easier.

I told you what the baby boomers HAD in Oz, and the landscape that they left my kids after time in the sun writing the rules (in Australia).

They are the points that I am making.

Then to call them feckless is beyond ignorance.

We are talking about two completely different things...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back