What size oil do you usually buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
5qt jugs, but need an additional pint for the sable. (manual calls for 5.5qts)
for a while I was just using the pint of 5w30 drained off from the jug for the Vibe, but then i noticed the Ford Dealer was putting 6 qts in mom's identical taurus, so I just buy a 6th qt, and pour it all in.

now the additional pint goes into a franken jug.

for my sister's Impala, I buy qts, since it only calls for 4.(though i suppose i could buy a 5qt jug and pour off the additional qt into the franken jug...)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Clearance quarts of oil.
+1

Except for when I buy clearance jugs of oil.

I buy the 5 quart bottles because the oil costs less that way at Walmart. But if I wanted to try Motorcraft, I'd have to buy the individual quarts because they only stock the 5 quart bottles in 5W-20.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Originally Posted By: blupupher

I also have a 6 gallon bag of oil.

Does it have a pour spout like wine in a box?

No idea, never seen a wine box, but it is in a box and has a pour spout.
I have not opened it yet (should be using some in my brother in laws F150 sometime this month).

Originally Posted By: Kira
What flavor is the 6 gallon bag?

Castrol GTX HM 5w-20.

full-4879-13680-1_2.jpg

Thread on how I got it

2002 Ford F150: 192,000 miles, Havoline High Mileage 5w-20, Ecogard filter, 5k OCI

2012 Scion xB: 41,000 miles, QSUD 0w-20, Car Quest Blue (Wix made) filter, 5k OCI

Originally Posted By: Patman
I don't like the 4.4L jugs they sell up here in Canada, that size doesn't work well for my 3 cars. I'm only an hour away from the US border though (and we cross over it at least 6 or 7 times a year), so for the past few years I have been buying most of my oil from Walmart in Niagara Falls, NY and I grab the 5 quart jugs there. Not only does the size work out better for my cars but the price is a lot better too.

Any problems bringing the oil back into Canada at the border?

Originally Posted By: cb450sc

I have never had a problem but they've also never checked the car so I'm not exactly sure what they might say. I don't think it's considered an item that can't cross the border though.

Buy 6 quart case when its on sale at Costco and Mobil has rebate going on.

Originally Posted By: cb450sc
Originally Posted By: Patman
I don't like the 4.4L jugs they sell up here in Canada, that size doesn't work well for my 3 cars. I'm only an hour away from the US border though (and we cross over it at least 6 or 7 times a year), so for the past few years I have been buying most of my oil from Walmart in Niagara Falls, NY and I grab the 5 quart jugs there. Not only does the size work out better for my cars but the price is a lot better too.

Canadian customs is too busy asking about Booze, Cigarettes or Firearms or Pepperspray coming back into the country.

I've bought oil many times in the US, but can't get those amazing clearance deals like others get for quarts less than a $1 each.

Originally Posted By: JC1

Canadian customs is too busy asking about Booze, Cigarettes or Firearms or Pepperspray coming back into the country.

I've bought oil many times in the US, but can't get those amazing clearance deals like others get for quarts less than a $1 each.

Highly taxed or forbidden items is what they are most likely to be banned by Canadian Customs. Don't feel bad about not finding super cheap oil closeouts. I live in north western NJ and have yet to see and crazy closeout or even any closeout pricing on oil, anywhere around here. At a Kmart I would stop by I'd see some nice dusty bottles of name brand SH & SJ rated oils going for the currant SN price. Chances are those bottles are as old as some of the employees working there
grin.gif

Whimsey

I do keep a clear 1 quart / litre oil bottle with a scale on the side, I fill it up and note
how much I top up with between OCIs.

Tells me if oil consumption is steady or going up over time.

Usually 20L pails (5 US gallons is 18.9L), then pour into one gallon or 5L jugs and label with a felt pen. Card lock fuel stops are a good place to get new empty gallon jugs for new oil, and pails for used oil.
I go through about 6 pails/year.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
Usually 20L pails (5 US gallons is 18.9L), then pour into one gallon or 5L jugs and label with a felt pen. Card lock fuel stops are a good place to get new empty gallon jugs for new oil, and pails for used oil.
I go through about 6 pails/year.

What's a "Card lock fuel stop"?

It's when you live in a wilderness like this province, well any of them, you can have a preapproved card that let's you purchase fuel at any of the affiliated bulk stations in cities or rural areas, and just get a monthly bill. 24 H stations are common enough in the city, but this allows truckers, emergency personnel, and even rural residents to fill vehicles in remote locations and at odd hours. It also provides fleet management capabilities.

Think of a truck stop, but smaller and unmanned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back