People don't like 5 quart oil jugs....what?

pricing is why i buy jugs. If they made pricing similar, I'd go quarts all day. So much easier to get to fill level in vehicles that specify X.352312312 quarts of oil
at least at oreilly if a 5qt jug is on sale and you get 5 quarts of the oil the system automatically adjusts the price to the same as the 5qt jug. so you can get the convenience of quart containers for the price of a big one.

at least at oreilly if a 5qt jug is on sale and you get 5 quarts of the oil the system automatically adjusts the price to the same as the 5qt jug. so you can get the convenience of quart containers for the price of a big one.
True, that is the one upside of auto chains. The issue for me though, is unless oil is on clearance, autoparts oil prices are absolutely out of this world. I rather save the time and money to just click and ship oil from WM or AZ, where they make jugs or even boxes favorable to purchase over quarts most of the time (exceptions exists for instance a couple deals on AZ where oil is $2.89qt or direct from Toyota even at $3qt).

Probably 60 percent of the oil services we do are less than 5 quart and that puts me firmly in the camp that finds 5 quart jugs annoying. Everything I stock in oil is either in 12 or 24 quart boxes or quart bottles

As far as the Napa store not wanting/offering to order a jug for you the minimum ship quantities on fluids from napa distribution centers to stores is 1 case, which is 3 jugs and so unless another store had a jug that he could have transferred either you were taking 3 jugs or he was going to have to sit on two hoping they sell. High mileage 10w30 isnt a popular mover, there isnt a napa store in my area that has a 5 quart jug of it in stock

I don't care either way how the oil is packaged, I'll buy what's cheaper. I will keep at least one single quart bottle around to keep in the back of the car in case a top up is needed.

A lot of Japanese cars take around 4 quarts, maybe 4.5
5qt jug sounds perfect for that. I hate having just enough.

I bought 2 5qt jugs for our Pacifica (6qt) and next time I’ll buy one and just use it up over time. It also uses a little oil so I’ll need it any ways.

Truck takes 7.5 so I buy that in gallons.

1000000422.jpg

;).

My fleet is two BMW 2.0 turbos (N14 and B46) and they both take almost exactly 5 qts, so they’re perfect for me 😎

“People don’t like the 5 quart jugs”….and yet they stock those 12 quart boxes of oil. Who likes wrestling those things around, Bigfoot?

You gotta think with your dipstick either way Jimmy.
Toyota takes 4.4. I dump a 5qt jug in and I'm a quarter inch low on the dipstick. Every. Time.

Subaru takes 5.1. I dump a 5qt jug in and it's about a quarter inch above full on the dipstick. Every. Time.

I guess I have trust issues or something.

Most cars takes less than 5 quarts, so the remainder is stuck in a big jug.
+1
Both my cars take less than 5, so the 5 qt/liter jug is perfect.

Recently just bought a motorcycle with a capacity of 4.9liters + .3 for the filter.
Never thought that was possible on a 1200CC bike.
But considering it's a wet clutch setup, makes it more reasonable.

I buy a 5 quart jug, dump the whole thing in and im like 2mm overfull. And 5qt jugs are easier to pour the old fluid back in to

Reactions: wtd
he said he doesn't care about 1-3qts leftover in a jug.
I do, that's why I suggested he can send it over to me.
I'll even pay the shipping!
;)
I use the left over oil next time. I have 3 vehicles, each take 6qts. I buy 6-5qt jugs to do 5 oil changes. Always find a sale on something. Nothing is wasted.

I like the 15-quart boxes. Really a plastic bag in a cardboard box. Even cheaper than the 5-quart jugs. Sometimes harder to find ... and generally never available at parts stores.

Back