What kind of Mechanic/DIY person are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My criteria is more like:

Do I have the time, the tools, and the patience?

I need all 3

I did complicated stuff when I was younger, single, and broke as a joke. Now, I only do what I consider “average” stuff – oil changes, tube ups, brakes, filters, fluids, etc.

Recently we took the Buick in to replace the intermediate steering shaft. Years ago I would’ve attempted doing such a repair myself. I paid the $250 and spent the day standing upright with my wife and kids instead.

I do the simple stuff. However, with advancing age and with cars getting more complicated, even the simple stuff is getting more difficult.

I'm like most others already chiming in - somewhere in the "average" zone. I've done a few projects above my skill level successfully, but it takes a lot of time and effort. I've botched a few projects that one chocks up to a learning experience (even the pros do it). In my advancing years, it is nice to choose and pick what I want to do, rather than forced to do because of money. I want to keep it at the enjoyment/satisfaction level whenever I can. It's also nice to no longer feel the need to work on friends and family vehicles, although I assist my adult kids when necessary. I have a very competent dealer mechanic as a friend and he moonlights at home. He is priceless. He did a complete timing belt job (water pump, seals,etc.) on my last Caravan for 1/2 of what pro shops wanted. I'm pretty good at figuring out how to do almost anything. I still struggle to develop good diagnostic skills and sometimes end up doing the parts changing thing because I didn't follow proper steps (blinders on).

My vehicle just hit 60,000 miles and all kinds of maintenance/repairs came together at one time: plugs, pcv, air filt., tranny fluid, steering fluid,rear drum brakes, tire rotation, oil change, biannual detailing.....all enjoyable weekend stuff while listening to the local college football games.

Take care everyone.

Wouldn't the results from a streamlined survey of what we've done to what cars be super interesting?

I think it would.

Access to a lift or not? ... EZ filters and wiper blades ... more complex filter housings ... 4 cyl. plug replacement ... V-6 plug replacement ... dashboard work ... suspension work ... brakes ... capability to rotate tires or not (strength related) ... own a compressor? ...

I guess engineering an accurate survey would be a daunting task.

I can't bore cylinder walls, but I have a full service ability to mill heads flat and redo valve guides and seats, and also re-face valves.

I haven't rebuilt an auto trans in a long time and I don't care if I ever do ever again.

Most everything else is "pretty easy" in my book.

I don't know everything there is to know about ECU's, but I'm holding my own so far.

Originally Posted By: Kira
... own a compressor?

I really can't think of any reasons why someone shouldn't own one.

Harb Frght sells a really nice 12-volt high volume one with a removable yellow coiled hose. I came back to the minivan at the airport after being gone for two weeks to find a flat tire. That right there made it one of the best $20 I have ever spent.

I do everything except:
1. Alignment or tire mounting/balancing.
2. Pulling an engine or dropping a transmission since I don't have the space to do it (don't have a garage and don't want people to stare at me doing it on a street).
3. Anything deep inside an engine (like pistons) or inside the transmission.

Originally Posted By: 2dogs
I do the simple stuff. However, with advancing age and with cars getting more complicated, even the simple stuff is getting more difficult.

Funny, I think cars are much less complicated than back in the 60’s when I started driving and wrenching. Fuel injection vs carbs, disc instead of drum brakes, etc.

Originally Posted By: NoNameJoe
I do everything except:
1. Alignment or tire mounting/balancing.
2. Pulling an engine or dropping a transmission since I don't have the space to do it (don't have a garage and don't want people to stare at me doing it on a street).
3. Anything deep inside an engine (like pistons) or inside the transmission.

Same here. Anything required an engine or transmission rebuild I would just get rid of the car.

I do complicated stuff?

My main limitations are what I have to work with. My stuck cat from last weekend being my prime example? Doesn't take much know-how on exhausts. It's the rusted bolts that are the issue.

It depends ... I can build an engine, rear end etc. But, family responsibilities like elder care have taken all the time available, so now I order parts and let local shop install. That'll change as things settle down
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Also Thank God for YouTube videos that have good tips.

Amen to that!

Average but I'll mess with the complicated stuff if I have the right resources, tools, and time. But 9 times out of 10 I don't have the tooling to do stuff like wheel bearings, control arms, bushings, pulling engines/trans etc. It's just cheaper to have my mechanic do it than buy/rent tools and have the installation fall apart mid way.

Originally Posted By: HouseTiger
The older you get, the less you DIY.

frown.gif

x2 to that. Her grandfather and I are a lot alike. (I technically never had one growing up so him and I are somewhat close.) Picky about vehicles, the yard, around the house maintenance etc. We've talked about this sort of thing before and he said it's hard "letting go." (ie hiring it done.)

I'd say simple stuff - All maintenance items.

Brakes
Fluids
bulbs
filters
belts
plugs
gaskets
lubes

Things I go to others for:

all things tires/alignment
any major component swaps

I am retired! I got suckered into putting to gether a 66 GTO in a box I actually was fun. The owner won cool april nights best in class with it YEAH !! . Even worse was a complete service on a 328 Ferrari ,timing belt replace all the rubber hoses belts AC hoses and accumulator evacuate and recharge ,valve adjust etc. I would never ever buy a Ferrari even though they are pretty. I would rather do nothing but I am too cheap.

I am average. Changed oil, greased front ends, pulled engines, transmissions in high school. Lately I have done all the fluid exchanges, front diff CV shaft seals, rebuilt Center Axle Disconnect, tire rotations, trailer brakes, struts, shocks, water pumps, brakes/bleed and a bunch of stuff in between.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back