What is your favorite gas station and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recall hearing not to many years back some crazies had the idea that they didn't want the Chevron plant in San Ramon and were going to force it to shut down. Hopefully their idea got shut down. California is getting more than it's fair share of crazies.

Shell is my first choice followed by BP and then Exxon. I only run top-tier 87 in my Chevy Colorado since that is what General Motors specifies. I would use Chevron also but I don't think there is even one station here in Pennsylvania.

Question about single nozzle 3 grade gas pumps. My Shell station I frequent as well as most others have the single hose-nozzle setup. I pull in and fill a 2 gallon gas can with V-Power to use in my lawn equipment. The last customer likely bought regular. Question is, how much residual $2.25 87 regular gas is in the hose before it starts dispensing the $2.80 93 V-Power I am paying a premium price for?

From the posts so far, COSTCO is the favorite mostly on price. After that it's a bit of a wash with Shell possibly edging out the others slightly.

Shell users seem to want V-Power.

Top Tier fuels are important to more drivers than I would have thought.

The appearance, maintenance, busyness and amenities of a particular gas station are a significant factor to many.

Pay at the pump, rewards programs and the like don't seem to be very significant in choosing a brand. Perhaps this would be different if there were more ladies participating in this survey.

I use a full service locally owned mom and pop station in town i pull in and a bell rings gas is always fresh and good quality with not a lot of ethanol.
They check my oil
Check tire pressure
Clean my windshield

Originally Posted By: bumpasmerc

Remember, this is BITOG, and our OCD skews the results.
wink.gif

Top Tier honestly meant nothing to me before buying our most recent vehicles.

Prior vehicles were a 2001 Ram Sport with venerable 360 gas V8 (mine) and a 1998 Trans Am with 355 V8. Those venerable power plants had run and run well before Top Tier had ever been a concept. I still dumped in some injector cleaner twice a year or so.

I'm more picky now with my 2012 345 Hemi Ram and my wife's Mustangs, but only if Top Tier is within $0.03 / gal of next nearby lowest price such as Sam's Club. I still dump in some injector cleaner twice a year.

My FRN card makes Shell typically the lowest cost Top Tier brand in my area, Sam's Club is my most often used non Top Tier station in my area. I don't have a Costco membership.

Originally Posted By: Garak

Remember, this is BITOG, and our OCD skews the results.
wink.gif

I don't think we are actually OCD, just car guys with a certain bent for petroleum.

Originally Posted By: jakewells
I use a full service locally owned mom and pop station in town i pull in and a bell rings gas is always fresh and good quality with not a lot of ethanol.
They check my oil
Check tire pressure
Clean my windshield

Man, is this post from 1968?
I haven't seen anything like this in many years...

I have been going to an Irving station quite often lately, it's an easy detour from my drive home and I was really happy to see a while ago that they went Top Tier. The only problems have been that their prices have gone up a lot lately and they are now one of my highest cost alternatives and their touchless car wash has been out of service about 2/3rds of the time since it first froze up during our cold spell around Xmas. I like Shell and have an FRN card, but the brand is not convenient for me anymore since I changed jobs.

They check my oil
Check tire pressure
Clean my windshield

I've seen very few of those gas stations in these parts for 20 years. 99% self-serve now. If you come across a full serve, they pump your gas and take your money, but that's it. Check oil, tires and clean windshield.....not likely.

In our teens in the 60's we did those things under the watchful eyes of the service station owner. Gas prices were the same across the city so customer service was important for sales volume. Brand loyalty was prevalent and motorists tended to patronize their local station where they got their maintenance and repairs done as well. Do I sound like I miss those days ?

Texaco
A) Because it is a quality Top Tier gas.
B) Because their gas prices are among the lowest where I live.
C) Because their gas pumps appear to be less vulnerable to having credit card skimmers installed. We have a MAJOR problem around here with gas pump credit card skimmers. I had my credit card skimmed at a Shell station gas pump not long ago. The pumps that appear to be the most vulnerable are at the Shell and Exxon (7-Eleven) stations around here.

They check my oil
Check tire pressure
Clean my windshield
That's awesome.

I don't think we are actually OCD, just car guys with a certain bent for petroleum.

Okay, a mix of members like that, and other members with OCD.
wink.gif
Remember, I'm the guy who likes to do oil changes from the same batch of product for an extended period of time.

Chevron for me. But on my DD I had a few fills of Shell because traveling its what I found when needing a fill.
I generally stack up on a Chevron card and it is a convenient location on my way home from work.

I used to go to a Chevron near my house for a number of years. Till my debit and credit card got compromised. I go to Exxon now.

I have a couple Exxon stations near me that I use a lot for my vehicles. I also visit a Shell station sometimes. I like the Shell station because they have 2 pumps with 93 octane non-ethanol gas. I mainly use this in my lawn mowing equipment, ATV's, and all 2 cycle engines such as chainsaws, leaf blowers and string trimmers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back