What is this end-to-end encryption in Messages?

I sent a text yesterday but never heard back from the person I sent it to. So this morning I see a notice that it was never sent or delivered, and if I want to send now. Reading further, it says, you and the person you message must both use the Messages app and have chat features enabled. How do I turn this nonsense off? I thought I was texting through my cell service, not Google.

No one can answer this.... You need to tell what messaging app you're using, what mobile OS you're using, etc. "Red Pocket network" doesn't mean anything.

Your cell service is just the carrier. Many cell phones like the iPhone have messaging apps as part of the phone OS that are end to end encrypted if you are messaging someone with the same app, otherwise it sends the message via probably as a text

Here is an Apple support article that explains how it is implemented on the iPhone

Are you using an Android phone?

I'm using a Motorola Android phone. Not using any app, just pressing that blue icon with three lines for texting. Why do you need an app to send a text anymore then you would to make a call? I mean, how would you know what app somebody else is using when sending a text? Aren't they all compatible with each other.

I'm using a Motorola Android phone. Not using any app, just pressing that blue icon with three lines for texting. Why do you need an app to send a text anymore then you would to make a call? I mean, how would you know what app somebody else is using when sending a text? Aren't they all compatible with each other.
I know What's App, now owned by Google, uses end-to-end encryption. I'll have to look into the iPhone SMS, might explain my occasional GV SMS issues. Edit:I didn't realize iMessage was encrypted (but that's iOS only).

In the Messages app, go to settings > chat features > enable chat features

Turn enable chat features off.

Reactions: Y_K
Everything on Android is an app. (Even the home screen, where it shows you icons for all the apps and you click one to start it, is itself an app called Launcher.) Making a phone call requires opening the app that is usually called Phone.

Some come pre installed and some only if downloaded by the user. Most of the apps that are pre installed have something to do with Google.

The white cartoon talk balloon containing three dots, on a blue background, is indeed the Messages app.

Last edited:
You are correct, you don’t need anything, no different than making a call. Either something is wrong with your settings or you are unknowingly using something other than a standard text app.
Seems like dishdude has the answer above?

Install google messages and send thru that. Unfortunately the other end is using the service limiting SMS message (standard old school text when we all had flip phones).

To answer part of your question:
End-to-end encryption means that your message is going from you to the recipient and no one (theoretically) can see it while in transit. Both ends of the relay need to be able to handle that.

It should default to sending it as a SMS/MMS message (good ol' fashioned text message) if it can't make that connection.

App is short for application which is just a piece of software to handle a task. Even old flip phones used them to make calls, texts etc.

You trust Google for End to End encryption for privacy?

Google has backdoors, to help monitor the resurrectionist, half the country.

Back