What do you pay yearly for property taxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dumped my house when the taxes topped $9K/year. Just not worth it anymore...I'm in a nice apartment for not much more than my former tax bill!

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: DdDd
Meaningless thread because if you're low on the RE tax they always get you somewhere else. There's no such place as low tax, only low income.

Factor in average salaries and everyone gets dinged for the same. The nature of humans and their governments.

Simply not true.

Jarlaxle, we may not agree on much at times but agree with you 100% on this one.
I lived in both places now, Long Island NY and now South Carolina. You can work yourself to death on Long Island (and we had very good incomes), live in a small house in NY (compared to here) and work yourself to death paying obnoxious tax bills. People just get used to being a slave to big, overpaid government and honestly, afraid to move.
Trust me, I know its not an easy thing to do.

11 years here now, my god, the difference is amazing, it was a great move for my kids too, my now young adult children, one a graduate of Clemson University had a job right away and many options, my other who did not go to college has a great job with BMW, the largest exporter of automobiles in the USA and largest BMW plant in the world. Got married and bought a new home (Long Island size) in the first of less then 2 years working there and first baby this year.

If people want to work, there are jobs here ...

Last edited:
alarmguy,

Yeah, I knew a colleague that was killing himself working in Cherry Hill, NJ and was slightly afraid to move.

He convinced wife they needed a change and moved to Dallas, TX.... family is in a much better situation.

I was afraid too! *LOL*
We came down to look around based on what some others told us, we were walking through model homes, my wife on the CAT WALK overlooking our lower level family room with 16 foot ceilings and said "this is our home" ... I gulped and thought to my self Sh*t, I guess we are really going to do this, me with the big mouth to come down and look and my wife with the guts to say this is it!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
alarmguy,

Yeah, I knew a colleague that was killing himself working in Cherry Hill, NJ and was slightly afraid to move.

He convinced wife they needed a change and moved to Dallas, TX.... family is in a much better situation.

Seriously Texas has outrageous property taxes but no income tax!

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: DdDd
Meaningless thread because if you're low on the RE tax they always get you somewhere else. There's no such place as low tax, only low income.

Factor in average salaries and everyone gets dinged for the same. The nature of humans and their governments.

Simply not true.

Yeah, just way too cynical a statement. Most high tax areas have high incomes so lots of people work in those areas and then move to a low tax area. Some even go overseas and live like kings on modest savings.

But remember, no matter how cynical you get, you just can't keep up.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Close to $20,000.00 Property taxes are a crime because that means you actually never own your property.

If you believe you have the right to own a wedge of the earth for all eternity for zero annual cost, maybe that's also a crime.

Oh, one more thing, I need to point out that even though we have a property tax on our vehicles (read previous posts) I pointed out our fuel is among the lowest in the nation, we have no vehicle inspection program and get this!

The MAXIMUM sales tax on any CAR, Truck, Boat, Bike is $500. It used to be $300. but they just raised it. *LOL*
However if you buy the boat without a motor and the motor separate, then you have to pay the regular sales tax.
If I lived in my old home town in NY, the sales tax on by Harley would have been $1,700.00
Here it was $300.00 But with the new increase it would be $500.00 ...

Its almost comical how people settle for runaway taxes ( I WAS one of them) and honestly why people are running away from high tax areas.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Never heard of a "property tax" on vehicles before.

If you are a resident of Dallas county you pay an annual property tax on vehicles. When you don't pay state income tax they still get money from you somehow.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster

If you are a resident of Dallas county you pay an annual property tax on vehicles. When you don't pay state income tax they still get money from you somehow.
I'm guessing that is only on vehicles that are licensed and on the road?

In MA, it's called Excise Tax. It's a declining amount though, new cars get hit the highest, a car that's 5+ years old is assessed at 10% of the retail value of the car and the rate is $25 per thousand so my 50k retail car is about $125 a year in excise tax. The first year, the rate would be 90% so that'd be $1125 in excise tax. It's supposed to be to maintain the roads in the city. Another reason why it's better to buy a used car. It's assessed by the city/town where the car is registered so I guess if it's not registered, you wouldn't pay it.

Also no maximum sales tax, just 6.25%. Used to be 5%. They're also on to you on private party sales, they just use the nada guide retail price when assessing the sales tax.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
alarmguy,

I was going to say... I live not far from cherry hill, and have a good friend in a professional job, well paid, in the DFW area. What he gets stuck paying overall isn't far off. It's not earth shattering, and would require many, many years to make up for the RE commissions and moving costs if I just arbitrarily decided to get up and move.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
alarmguy,

The guy kept his NJ pay so for him it was better.

JHZR2,
I do understand there's a few factors to consider when moving a few states away.
Career opportunities were also much better for him in North Texas area.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Oh, one more thing, I need to point out that even though we have a property tax on our vehicles (read previous posts) I pointed out our fuel is among the lowest in the nation, we have no vehicle inspection program and get this!

The MAXIMUM sales tax on any CAR, Truck, Boat, Bike is $500. It used to be $300. but they just raised it. *LOL*
However if you buy the boat without a motor and the motor separate, then you have to pay the regular sales tax.
If I lived in my old home town in NY, the sales tax on by Harley would have been $1,700.00
Here it was $300.00 But with the new increase it would be $500.00 ...

Its almost comical how people settle for runaway taxes ( I WAS one of them) and honestly why people are running away from high tax areas.

I sold my Magnum due to property taxes. The last year I had it, it was over $1200! (And it went UP every year...wait, what?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back