What do you pay yearly for property taxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
About $US 400 ($C 517.80) on the house, assessed at $C 175K ($US 138K); median home price in the city is about $C 230K ($US 180K). Includes garbage pickup but pay about $5 a month added to the utility bill (water, sewer & electricity, city owned) for recycling pickup. City population about 220,000.

The acreage is $C 37.00 ($US 29.08) a year 25 acres 10 miles west of city limits.

48% to the city / rural municipality and 52% to the school board.

Not sure if it's common in the US, but if you ask, your mortgage lender will pay the taxes on your behalf and add it to the mortgage balance. Obviously an expensive way to do it but avoids extra payments. I pay directly, it's due in June (city) and September (rural) every year.

I live in SW MO and my taxes for my house were $1,018 for an assessed value of 16,700 for 2017. This is your standard 1500 square ft house probably worth around $115,000

The personal property tax on my vehicles, trailers, and my ATV was $527 on an assessed value of 10,820.

The county where my house is in has a higher tax rate than the county where I live with my fiancee in. My tax on the vehicles, etc. are based on the county where I currently live.

I have to say I would hate to pay some of the tax bills I see on here and couldn't afford most of them.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
Most taxes make sense, property taxes do not. It means you never own your "property", the govt does.

So what would be the fair way to pay taxes for local services like roads, snowplowing, fire, police, etc...? If one says income taxes, does that mean the local entities get to charge an income tax too besides the state and fed? Or does that mean all funds have to pass through the state first and be subject to the whims of distribution? If one says sales taxes, does that mean the local municipality collects sales taxes? How does that work for areas where there are no appreciable businesses that collect sales taxes?

Property taxes, when implemented as part of an overall framework of taxation, represent a way to tax landowners for the local services provided - including folks who live elsewhere, businesses, etc...

Annual property tax on the Hollister home is ~$6,000 + $$$ for the bond measures that the voters passed. Water and sewer bills are $250/month to pay for the new sewer plant so they can build more houses in the area. Gas taxes went up this past year and are due to increase again. In theory it is for road repair but some of the money has already been diverted for no transportation items. DMV fees went up again. about $300 - $400 per vehicle. Sales tax rate is 8.25%. Income taxes are 9.3%. Then there are the constant new "Fees" being added to everything that drives the cost up. Things like the 1% lumber fee to help prevent forest fires. I see that worked out well. Every time I open a utility bill there is a whole slew fees. Looking forward to retiring elsewhere.

My In laws live in a Chicago Suburb, Pay almost 9k A year in taxes on a 300k house and the City they live in is broke and they are constantly trying to raise taxes to do things such as build a new library and when that was voted down they wanted to expand the existing library and that was voted down.

With the tax base they have they shouldn't have to raise taxes to build a new library. People voted it down because they can simply not afford to pay more in taxes. There comes a breaking point and the State of Illinois and many towns within are there.

I think people have reached their limit.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Originally Posted By: Phishin
I'm in Northern Indiana.

1/2 acre. Property is valued at $140k. I live across the street from a nice 700 acre lake. So across the street (on the lake) homes range from $400k for a dump to $1M for a nice place.

My taxes. $400/year. LOL!!!

And how much in taxes do you pay for your vehicle's perfect year?

In Indiana the Vehicle tax is based on the value of the vehicle, Figure 1% Roughly.

Our 05 Sienna is maybe 55 bucks a year and the 09 Scion is around the same.

My parents have a old van and its about 40 a year.

I pay 850 a year on a 187k 3000SF house, on 5 acres so im obviously in a ghetto. Thats why the key is in the ignition of my vehicle right now and My shed is unlocked and the house is unlocked.

Originally Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool
I pay 850 a year on a 187k 3000SF house, on 5 acres so im obviously in a ghetto. Thats why the key is in the ignition of my vehicle right now and My shed is unlocked and the house is unlocked.

He prob wouldn't say a ghetto in your case but would say this:

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Of course if you live in a 2 horse town your taxes will be low.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool

He prob wouldn't say a ghetto in your case but would say this:

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Of course if you live in a 2 horse town your taxes will be low.
smile.gif

The house has a taxed value of 187k, if I put it on the market for 225k it would have an offer on it within a few days. At 250k it might sell, but would take longer.

It is a 2 horse town to some I suppose. My problem is I want to live in the big city with all the amenities but on acreage. Very few places like that exist, and the ones that do I cannot afford.

$4,300/year. Land value of $130k and $30k house (700sqft), but it's close to a lake. $27/$1k tax rate; no town water, septic, that sort of thing. No traffic lights either.

I worry that once we build our new house my taxes will double, and I might wind up moving in 10-20 years as a result. But I guess it's made up by not having income nor sales tax.

When we bought the tax bill was put into the mortgage payment. I could save up for that but I won't complain--hurts less this way.

1300 sqft home on 0.75 acres in CT valued ~$320k is $3800/yr in taxes. Its actually the lowest tax rates in our county, which parts of are very affluent. We still have income, sales and property tax on vehicles/vessels...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nickaluch
After reading this thread I'm totally convinced my $12000 yearly tax bill is way beyond ridiculous.

A lot of state retirees in their 50's depend on you!

Originally Posted By: nickaluch
I pay $12000 a year in Nassau county NY. Ridiculous.

Very cool, born, raised, lived in Nassau County for 4 decades.
Great place to grow up, many fine memories but 11 years ago, out of the blue, we packed up and moved south because of others we know who did.

We are in one of the top rated school districts in our new state, South Carolina, have a now 11 year old 3000 sq ft 5 Bedroom home (1 room is an office), with ceilings as high as 16 feet, that we had built and bought new, the purchase price was half of what we sold our small Nassau country home for, we still have great shopping and restaurants too.

Oh, thats right taxes, our property taxes, $1,500 a year.(one thousand five hundred) We voted a bond issue a couple years back, built more schools and completely remodeled all existing schools or it would have been $400 less per year.
With that said, its a little misleading compared to Nassau County as Nassau tax bills contain everything.
Here you do have a Vehicle tax for cars, boats, motorcycles and its not cheap, also does not include sewer charges etc, all paid separate.
Anyway, all told, when I tell people from Long Island I tell them our taxes are about $3000. a year which is accurate and includes everything.

Tax rates based on house value mean squat. Its quality of life and square footage of the home, not purchase price or valuation. Just because you overpay for homes and tax you to death states means nothing.

Last edited:
Oh, one more thing, utility costs. Here we barely ever open our windows, dont know why, just got used to it, its either heat or AC.

Well, Long Island electric rates are almost 100% higher then ours.
I believe Long Island is around 20 cents per kilowatt hour including all fees etc.
We pay just under 11 cents per kilowatt hour.

Remember we do pay vehicle taxes BUT, gasoline is much cheaper here, among the cheapest in the nation. Around 30 cents less a gallon then Nassau County prices.
There are NO VEHICLE inspections! No stickers on your windshield, nothing! Just your annual registration for your license plate, no taking your car in for inspections.

Originally Posted By: DdDd
Meaningless thread because if you're low on the RE tax they always get you somewhere else. There's no such place as low tax, only low income.

Factor in average salaries and everyone gets dinged for the same. The nature of humans and their governments.

Simply not true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back