What did you do to your car today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
double checked the torque on my lugnuts after my recent tire rotation.
(watched shop impact them on, and lift my FWD car with 3 trolley jacks.)

Gave her a much needed wash, after the light, intermittent rains we've had here.. just enough to leave nasty dust spots all over her. She's nice and clean, shiny, and waxed now.

Todays garage log:

04 BMW 325i:

Check tire pressure (checked 28 psi - put 35 front 42 rear)
Drop car off to shop check A/C for leaks (vacuum tested came out with no leaks) and recharge A/C system (it lost 1.10lbs out of a 1.63lb system!)
Inspect battery. Battery was spewing acid out of screw top vents and failed pulse shooter test so threw on a refurb battery (econostart)

04 Lexus LS430:

Receive call on no start. Starter sounds like it free spins and not engaging the flexplate.
Unable to access starter, call tow truck to bring car back home.
Proceed to remove intake manifold and starter since the Lexus dealership wants the core before purchasing starter.
Relax at the end of the day to prepare for day two - reassembling all this mess.

02 Chevy Silverado:

Drive it around because I hate driving small cars and love the feel of being in a big truck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chester11
used a 3M headlight kit on yellow headlights...2nd try.

"Mother's" metal polish does wonders on plastic headlights with a drill pad and 2-3 minutes of your time. Long lasting results too.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Originally Posted By: rollinpete
Tuesday I put in a nice clean air filter...I think the previous one was a motorcraft about 2 years old...

Always nice to see a well maintained older Explorer.

Looks like yours might be Willow Green? I had a Willow Green inside and out 1995 Sport...loved that truck and still miss it...rust ate it up bad, it was from Pittsburgh.

Thanks, your right it's willow green inside and out...Has some rocker rust that i'm going to fix soon but overall in pretty nice shape, interior is mint...

Originally Posted By: BrianF
Inspected the brake switch on my new 1993 GMC 1500. The torque converter does not appear to be locking up when in OD on the highway. Apparently this switch can go bad causing the TCC to not lock. In the daylight I will tear it out and inspect it further.

If this isn't it the solenoid on a 700R4 is real easy to switch out.

Your OBD-I connector also has a prong for TCC so you can force it if you believe the computer isn't doing it right.

Went through this with my firebird.

This one is going to sound "spacey" only because you've never heard anything like it before. Goes for me too.

This morning I cleaned out my car after a spate of odd jobs. The kicker is that yesterday I went by a {mechanically inept} neighbor's house where his brother-in-law was odd jobbing in every room.

He had use for every bit of scrap moulding, extracted screw, tail-end of a can of primer, cheap paint brush I salvaged from work (those superstars won't clean a brush so I grab 'em). I even delivered a spare fuel cap for the inept man's car I had lying around....AND IT FIT!

All I needed was to vacuum sawdust and put some tools away.

So today I declared my car "the Magic Recycling-Money Savingmobile"

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
I drove 290 miles from Jackson Hole, WY to Casper, WY. And I got ticked off once more that regular gasoline is not 87 octane. Regular in these high altitude states is 85 octane, apparently not suitable for most NEW vehicles. The mid-grade is plus 30 cents a gallon. Another rip off by big oil in this part of the USA.

Octane rating is fuels ability to resist knock. At altitude you have less air in the cylinder at top dead center and therefore slightly lower compression. At altitude above 3500 feet or so, 85 octane has the same knock resistance as 87 does at sea level. No need to worry at all.

Pulling my snow wheels and tires off from testing them all week

Cleaning and reinstalling factory wheels

Grease the poly bushings on the rear TRD sway bar, because it's starting to squeak

Do more 12 volt work on the Grand Prix

Friend's Accord needs some 12 volt work as well

I hit my head on the rear hatch taking the recyclables out while the wife was distracting me.
Then I took the garbage can and threw it at the (now closed) hatch and kicked the car a few times for good measure. Now I have 700- 1000 dollars damage to a formally pristine body. Oh well they have bad resale anyhow (at least for a real japanese made suv).

drove it 1300km (800mi) to pick up a jetski trailer I bought when I was up north a month ago because I didn't have my car with the trailer hitch at the time. For having 314k km on it and being a problematic German car it performed flawlessly.

Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
I drove 290 miles from Jackson Hole, WY to Casper, WY. And I got ticked off once more that regular gasoline is not 87 octane. Regular in these high altitude states is 85 octane, apparently not suitable for most NEW vehicles. The mid-grade is plus 30 cents a gallon. Another rip off by big oil in this part of the USA.

Octane rating is fuels ability to resist knock. At altitude you have less air in the cylinder at top dead center and therefore slightly lower compression. At altitude above 3500 feet or so, 85 octane has the same knock resistance as 87 does at sea level. No need to worry at all.

I know all that. Today's engines allegedly account for altitude factors via the on board computer, and my 2017 Honda manual states 87 octane is the minimum required. It also does not have any reference to high altitude usage. Again the 30 cent surcharge is a "big oil" rip off.

Does anyone think it costs Exxon 10% more to refine 87 octane than 85 octane?

Checked all fluid levels. About 4k on the current oci and level is right on the full mark. Completed a 250 miles trip yesterday. So last night sprayed the front end down with Ultima Waterless Wash. Wiped with plush MF drying towel. Then sprayed it with Duragloss Aquawax for a little more protection. The Ultima has some nice protection in it as well, judging by the way water beads up and slides off the finish. Also remembered to get the area right above the windshield that many miss. I noticed on other cars this can be an area that rusts.

Last edited:
I was going to put the stock axle back muffler on my Gen Coupe but can't find the exhaust heat shield.

So at least I was able to take some pictures for the naysayers on another forum of the 4th rear subframe bushing i added last year.

Originally Posted By: Stelth
I dropped my truck off at a local shop. No idea what's wrong with it, it's running super-rich, surging, and occasionally stalling. It's an old truck, 94 Dodge Ram, and I've only had it a few months. I've already done several repairs on it, and I'm getting tired of it. It has a utility bed and a rack, and would make a great work truck if it would run right for more than a few days.

I had a 94 w 318. Mine started running rich and it was the o2 sensor .
It was a great lil truck until my daughter totaled it out at 70 mph hydroplaning into an oak tree.
She walked away unscathed, rip dodge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back