Car has developed a vibration on steering wheel that's intermediate. Car is a1998 Honda CR-V. Had tires aligned and balanced

Do you know if driving with just the front wheels will damage anything like a transmission? They told me I'll be alright but I'm not sure
It's pretty common on a lot of these cute utes, esp H/K

It wouldn't damage your transmission. You have a "transfer case" (which is more like a cute little right angle gear box) and if anything were damaged it would be that. But if it drives fine, I think you're ok.

I feel compelled to point out that staked u-joints are dumb. However yours was probably slopping around long enough to damage the press fit in a yoke, so a replacement u-joint may not have done you any good. I just serviced a Subaru like this.

Bad news.... taking out the shaft got rid of the cabin vibration but I still have the intermediate passenger side wheel bounce skid when driving on flat paved perfect roads...it's like the passenger side wheel looses traction and starts bouncing..you can feel it all over the dashboard when it happens. I'm thinking it's a cv axle... unfortunately where I live here in Greece they can't find me a replacement. I'll be more then happy to send money to someone that can send me one from the states

Bad news.... taking out the shaft got rid of the cabin vibration but I still have the intermediate passenger side wheel bounce skid when driving on flat paved perfect roads...it's like the passenger side wheel looses traction and starts bouncing..you can feel it all over the dashboard when it happens. I'm thinking it's a cv axle... unfortunately where I live here in Greece they can't find me a replacement. I'll be more then happy to send money to someone that can send me one from the states
Bad struts can absolutely cause these symptoms. On both an '02 Tacoma and '14 KL Cherokee bad struts make it feel like you desperately want a steering stabilizer....almost death wobble-esque

That's easy to check by pushing each corner down forcefully and seeing how much it bounces and how well it dampens. Also look for leaks on the piston and/or the entire strut will be caked with old oil and dirt

I'm not saying it IS a strut(s), merely that it's a possibility.

CV wobble is typically throttle dependent. Struts are "bump in the road" dependent, especially when one wheel hits an irregularity and the other doesn't

Bad struts can absolutely cause these symptoms. On both an '02 Tacoma and '14 KL Cherokee bad struts make it feel like you desperately want a steering stabilizer....almost death wobble-esque

That's easy to check by pushing each corner down forcefully and seeing how much it bounces and how well it dampens. Also look for leaks on the piston and/or the entire strut will be caked with old oil and dirt

I'm not saying it IS a strut(s), merely that it's a possibility.

CV wobble is typically throttle dependent. Struts are "bump in the road" dependent, especially when one wheel hits an irregularity and the other doesn't
We replaced the struts and strut mounts last month thinking that was the problem... didn't solve nothing 😔

It sure could.
Starting to think it might be my harmonic balancer...if it's that good luck fixing it here in Greece where I live. The car vibrates like a shudder randomly. Sounds like brrrr noise..when this happens it's in the passenger side towards the middle of the front. Even the dashboard rattles when this happens..I've noticed it happens after I go over rough roads. Even the slightest I perfection in the road sets it off. My right passenger side outter cv out is ripped and the joint inside might be toast but I don't think that's making this vibration brrr shudder

Starting to think it might be my harmonic balancer...if it's that good luck fixing it here in Greece where I live. The car vibrates like a shudder randomly. Sounds like brrrr noise..when this happens it's in the passenger side towards the middle of the front. Even the dashboard rattles when this happens..I've noticed it happens after I go over rough roads. Even the slightest I perfection in the road sets it off. My right passenger side outter cv out is ripped and the joint inside might be toast but I don't think that's making this vibration brrr shudder
I'd chase motor mounts before I'd chase a balancer issue, given your symptoms. This is assuming it's truly an issue with the engine. I think even the mounts are unlikely, but have you checked them?? It's actually easy to check the front two with a pry bar.

I'd chase motor mounts before I'd chase a balancer issue, given your symptoms. This is assuming it's truly an issue with the engine. I think even the mounts are unlikely, but have you checked them?? It's actually easy to check the front two with a pry bar.
The mechanics have not looked at the mounts..I told them to a few days ago but they said it would vibrate even in park which isn't true because I know alot of them vibrate even going 10mph

The mechanics have not looked at the mounts..I told them to a few days ago but they said it would vibrate even in park which isn't true because I know alot of them vibrate even going 10mph
If a motor mount is bad enough that it's making the motor/transaxle sag, or lean down to one side, it can change the axle geometry and cause a shake or feel like a wheel balance issue. Usually does it under acceleration though.

If they're original they're almost surely trashed but I can't promise replacing them would fix your symptoms

Ok guys.. yesterday we finally changed the passenger cv axle... vibration went away. My only other problem is sometimes...very seldomly on a very flat good road I tend to hear a brrr sound type vibration from the front. Might be transmission..the mechanic said it was not but I'm not so sure . however he told me to come back in a few days to put new transmission fluid and it will probably take care of it

Now I have an irritating rattle noise coming from my passenger side airbag cover..or at least I think that's where it's coming from. It's loud and always there. It developed about 2 weeks ago..of I put my finger on the airbag cover it stops..help

All that interior vibrating over the months has put to the test all the interior pieces. Interior vibrations can only be found taking things apart. Best to start pulling interior trim pieces off to begin finding the source. Do you do much DIY? Seems like you are relying on a mechanic to do all your work.

All that interior vibrating over the months has put to the test all the interior pieces. Interior vibrations can only be found taking things apart. Best to start pulling interior trim pieces off to begin finding the source. Do you do much DIY? Seems like you are relying on a mechanic to do all your work.
Yes mostly mechanic

You think it's the engine mounts then
Could Be. sometimes, if an engine mount is real bad, it can change the geometry of the axle shaft(s) and cause vibration, shimmy, etc. Could do it all the time like my 01 Grand Prix, or, I can see the possibility, that if the motor shifts a certain way, the symptoms could/would come and go?

Back