A transmission service gone wrong but corrected by the shop.

Nice work! Kinda reminds me of that big hex on the bottom of NP t-cases. To the uninitiated it sure looks like a drain plug, but it actually holds the spring and detent ball for the shifter.

I wonder how many Volvos went to an early grave because of that darn bolt.
Quite a few, I suspect. It’s a big bolt right on top, visible under the intake piping. Sure looks like fill plug, but…

I checked my wife’s V70XC last night, and sure enough, the big “NO” I wrote on the bolt with a Sharpie has faded. So, I reckon the big “NO” that I believe I had written on this car likely faded as well.

I will have to use a red paint pen next time!

I found this BITOG post, from a long time ago, about this transmission - read what Undummy posted. A wise man. He likely prevented the OP in this thread from making the same mistake that happened in this case.

Last edited:
This is a common GM/Opel/Saab unit also, One of my Saabs has this one in it and same deal with the plug that looks like a fill plug.
I hate filling that thing through the small dipstick. Clinebarger hooked me up with a flexible dipstick tube with dipstick that was easy to rework to fit. I mounted it on the left side of the radiator, it made life so much easier.

@Astro14

Nice cooler and remote filter install. LOVE the Oetiker clamps, get that from the Navy?;)
Thanks - I forget where I discovered Oetiker clamps. A car forum, I believe, forget which one, though. They're great. Quick, tight connections. The cost of buying pliers is high, but the cost of the clamps is quite low. I have several of the common size clamps stockpiled at the shop.

Back