Car has developed a vibration on steering wheel that's intermediate. Car is a1998 Honda CR-V. Had tires aligned and balanced

CR-V has developed a vibration in the steering wheel that happens at random times. It happens when you accelerate at low speeds like 10-20 miles per hour. Even in parking lots. It happens on mostly flat paved roads that look perfect. Does not vibrate when braking. Had tires aligned and balanced but didn't help. Took the car to the mechanic all he found was a loose left driver's side upper control arm. We ordered it and it should be here in a few days.
Anyone know if a loose upper control arm would do this?
When you are accelerating, and lt gets the vibration in the steering wheel, if you let off of he gas, does it seem to go away?

It still vibrates even after 20 miles per hour..it's just not as noticable if you go faster..when you say something wrong in the driveline are you referring to ball joints and axles ?
Ball joints and control arms and the like, Steering and suspension.
Drive line, Axles, transmission (possibly) and motor and transmission mounts and or possibly (If it has one) an Axle support bearing, bolted to the sub-frame and encased in rubber around the axle. (A lot like a center support bearing on a RWD truck, often incorrectly called a carrier bearing)

Could Be. sometimes, if an engine mount is real bad, it can change the geometry of the axle shaft(s) and cause vibration, shimmy, etc. Could do it all the time like my 01 Grand Prix, or, I can see the possibility, that if the motor shifts a certain way, the symptoms could/would come and go?
I noticed it does the brrr vibration noise only on cold days like under 40 degrees...other times you can't hear ****...and the vibration brr noise seems to come from the passenger side dashboard

IDK bud, It's sort of a tough call from here. :(
All you can do is try to have someone check the mounts real good, or if it's not too too pricey, change them all. It's almost a process of elimination at this point?

Changed my timing belt in October 7th 2019. Honda told me to do it every 5 years on this 1998 CR-V. Should I change it again now or wait a little. When I changed it I had 92,000 miles now I have 143,000 miles

Good idea to change the TB now. I change my 1998 CRV's timing belt every 10 years (which amounts to around 50,000 miles). Manual says change at 4 years or 50,000 miles. I thought 4 years is too early.

BTW the door placard for tire pressure (25 psi) is wrong. The updated rating is 30 psi. And adjust your valve clearances every 20,000 miles.

Last edited:
I would fix the airbag cover rattle first. If there's a gap around the airbag cover try sticking a Popsicle stick in there to keep it from rattling. Once the interior is kinda quiet you can start listening for engine noises.

I would fix the airbag cover rattle first. If there's a gap around the airbag cover try sticking a Popsicle stick in there to keep it from rattling. Once the interior is kinda quiet you can start listening for engine noises.
I fixed the airbag cover noise with some tack from a school supply store 😂😂. You can't even see it..noise gone

Back