What color to paint rear end?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow
But what's REALLY funny is that white out (correction paint) is almost a black body in the wavelengths that transmit heat, but a really good reflector of visible light.

Yeah most paints have a high emissivity and white out is mostly opaque to infrared. We used it all the time to create targets on low emissivity material. Plus it was easy to remove afterwards.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Chrome of course

Chrome paint looks like
37.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Mag hytec cover???

Now you're talking money. This is a cheap truck.

If you think you have any plans to drive it on pavement with a mini-spool on a 10-bolt, you'll be replacing the whole rear-end pretty soon, so I wouldn't even paint it, or the truck.

Originally Posted By: Traction
If you think you have any plans to drive it on pavement with a mini-spool on a 10-bolt, you'll be replacing the whole rear-end pretty soon, so I wouldn't even paint it.

There you go.

Like I said - - paint color will be the least of your worries.

If you think you have any plans to drive it on pavement with a mini-spool on a 10-bolt, you'll be replacing the whole rear-end pretty soon, so I wouldn't even paint it, or the truck.

I think a Detroit style locker would be slightly better if you use it on-road, not much, just slightly. My S10 has one (Detroit style) and it definitely interesting to drive in town. In the rain the little 4 cylinder truck instantly becomes a drifter with the right throttle
grin.gif

PS, I'd go with purple.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
If you think you have any plans to drive it on pavement with a mini-spool on a 10-bolt, you'll be replacing the whole rear-end pretty soon, so I wouldn't even paint it.

There you go.

Like I said - - paint color will be the least of your worries.

Congratulations to you both on being completely irrelevant. Yeah, because I'm running a supercharged 572 with 31 inch slicks on a mini spooled 10 bolt. Get your heads out of your
happy2.gif

Now back to colours. Orange with a jack o'lantern face is currently in the lead.

I always wanted to paint the stock cover on the 14 bolt under my old K5 blazer with a steal your face, red white and blue lightning bolt (minus the skull).

Those are pretty cool, but not for my truck. I'm not much of a comic book fan, and I'm actually from the north.
grin.gif

Dudes, I got an idea. Maybe I can get a vinyl wrap of differential gears, so it looks like you can see inside of it. Do they make high heat vinyl wraps?

Satin black. I don't need to advertise a stock rear end. Don't like the look of the aftermarket covers either. I used to be into Aircooled VW's and the thinking with bigger sumps etc. is all it is is more oil to cool off. Don't really do anything once at operating temp.

1. orange, but no prep work. paint it right over the road grime.

2. extra points if you do it while installed with no masking over the rest of the axle body.

3. ok in all serious last one I did was with duplicolor wheel paint, dark silver with clear coat. That paint wants 7 days to cure and dries Tough. I've done oil pans, trans pans, etc. with it and is it very durable and didn't show issues with normal engine temps.

-m

Coolest paint job I've ever seen on a rear end cover was probably expensive. It was airbrushed like it had a hole in it and you could see the ring gear and carrier.

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
Those are pretty cool, but not for my truck. I'm not much of a comic book fan, and I'm actually from the north.
grin.gif

Dudes, I got an idea. Maybe I can get a vinyl wrap of differential gears, so it looks like you can see inside of it. Do they make high heat vinyl wraps?

Why not actually see the real gears, and get a Clear Gearz see-through cover?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/trd-8402

Next time I change the gear oil in my Jeep I will probably paint it Dark Grey. Nice clean color.

Originally Posted By: meep
1. orange, but no prep work. paint it right over the road grime.

2. extra points if you do it while installed with no masking over the rest of the axle body.

3. ok in all serious last one I did was with duplicolor wheel paint, dark silver with clear coat. That paint wants 7 days to cure and dries Tough. I've done oil pans, trans pans, etc. with it and is it very durable and didn't show issues with normal engine temps.

-m

I bake spray painted parts in the oven around 250 degrees. It cures real good and fast. I've done wheels like that, and the paint never chipped, even when banging on wheel weights.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
grin.gif

Why not actually see the real gears, and get a Clear Gearz see-through cover?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/trd-8402

Dude no way. That is so cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back