Sealing Paint Suggestion

I don't know how to describe an appropriate thread title...

I have a cabinet/workbench I assembled from a kit. The cabinet was where spa chemicals were stored. Essentially just chlorine and test reagents. Over time the chlorine had corroded the cabinet hardware (hinges). The spa is long gone.

View attachment 214049

I managed to cut the hinges apart to get the doors off the cabinet, remove the corroded hardware, dowel the screw holes and replace the hinges. I then removed the new hardware, sanded and repainted the interior. All was good, or so I thought.

I had stored my popcorn machine in the refurbished cabinet space but after ~12 months, I noticed some of the metallic parts on the machine were becoming corroded. Obviously, whatever permeated into the panels is still out gassing.

I painted the cabinet interior with Rustoleum spray Ultra-Cover primer and white paint. I suspect what ever got into the wood is also most likely in an inaccessible place that wasn't painted. I may have to rebuild that area of the cabinet with new wood. However, I want to try to re-paint the interior before cutting out portions of the cabinet.

Any suggestions as to with kind of coating I should try? This is going to be a project for late summer.

TIA

What kind of chlorine? I store gallons upon gallons of 12.5% liquid and a case of pucks in a closet in my basement near the pool. No issues in 7 years yet.

I doubt it's chlorine fumes. Chlorine evaporates. It's probably some other chemical. Consider the reagents you were storing.

Thanks for the suggestions. The only things being stored in that cabinet were Bromine tablets (don't know how well the sealed the container was), spa cleaner (sealed container), water chem reagents (sealed container), 303 Protectant (spray), filters.

It may just be ambient conditions but this kind of corrosion is kind of extreme for my locale.

The link in the original post appears to be broken. Here's the hinge original hinge:

20210626_124948b.jpg

I'm pretty sure whatever it was is in the wood (particle board) itself. Here is the replacement Blum hinge that was replaced in 2021 (image taken yesterday). Not Salice quality, but nice enough. The cabinet has been empty for the past +12 months.

20240415_135039b.jpg

I think I found where the corrosive is coming from - I failed to paint the inside top of the cabinet (the top is the bottom of the bench top) ::face palm:: What ever might be causing the corrosion might be in the particle board.
  • Paint the underside of the bench top.
  • Caulk the panel joints.
  • Insert a test specimen.
  • Close the door and wait and see.

Back