2011 Buick LaCrosse - air cleaner box bolts missing - alternatives to OEM bolts?

Hello BITOGers.
Maybe you can help.
My daughter's 2011 Buick Lacrosse is missing two of the six air cleaner box bolts that close the intake upper over the filter. We discovered this when we changed the air filter today. Apparently, the places that serviced her car and "checked and inspected" neglected to mention this.
The bolt is (apparently) this one: I have seen the price of one of these bolts go from $11 up to $50 on various sites. The dealership near where my daughter lives is asking $18 per bolt. That much for a bolt. The effrontery!
These bolts only bite down into plastic, not any metal. So, they can't be anything super extra special.
I have them installed as evenly as possible so the car is drivable.

Might anyone suggest any useful alternatives to this bolt? I may go explore the racks of special fasteners at the local hardware store.

Much appreciated.

Clint

These bolts only bite down into plastic, not any metal. So, they can't be anything super extra special.
They are extremely special. They are specifically made for tapping into plastic. Look at the threads; they look like an auger drill with their accentuated deep flutes.

Last edited:
The ones on my Chevy truck stopped ‘ biting ‘ so I’ve been using zip ties on mine for years. Works for me.
The holes for the screws do not open up at the bottom. I may be able to drill through that material. Then zip ties or small bolts may work.

I had a similar problem with a chevy. Just take one of the screws to the local hardware store and buy a similar screw, maybe little oversize. Drill out the top layer of the box so the screw will slip in until it meets the bottom [threaded] part of the box and screw it in. Air filters last a long time. It's not like you have to re-reinstall the filter every day.

There are many ways to source used auto parts, a friendly local mechanic that you may possibly know, a small independent body shop or a local classic car club will all have a source of used parts. There are also some wrecking yards locally that don't advertise to the public and are usually not obvious. If a "Used Auto parts near me" doesn't work, sometimes a local NAPA will have a counter person with connections or contacts. Having restored several vintage cars, you learn how to find unobtanium stuff.

I had a similar problem with a chevy. Just take one of the screws to the local hardware store and buy a similar screw, maybe little oversize. Drill out the top layer of the box so the screw will slip in until it meets the bottom [threaded] part of the box and screw it in. Air filters last a long time. It's not like you have to re-reinstall the filter every day.
Yeah. I am looking for a solution that "looks good from the hood."

Back