What are you working on today?

Started 3.7L build. Mounted the block on the stand, measured all the bearing clearances with bore gauge. Mains are all ok, although #4 a tad tight at the minimum spec at 0.001”. The rods were all on the big side, over the limit. I might try another set of bearings and see what happens. If not get some new rods. The machine shop said they “honed” them and were in spec. Crank was cut 0.020” on the mains and rods. Love these mitutoyo tools. Need new main and rod bolts before I can go any further regardless of clearances. And no, that’s not how I torqued the rod caps. They were in the rod vise at the parting line, I set them like that to measure the clearances

IMG_0490.jpeg

IMG_0491.jpeg

IMG_0492.jpeg

IMG_0494.jpeg

New struts on rear of '02 Forester. I just can't bring myself to install cheap quick struts, so I used Sachs. Ordered a pair of TRQ strut mounts on Amazon for $55, and they fit well. I figure rear strut mounts are less important since they don't have a bearing to rotate.

I'm often blown away by how expensive strut mounts are in the big picture of the job, and that's one thing that makes quick struts attractive.

Reused the bellow and upper & lower spring isolators, which were dirty but in otherwise good condition
20240424_105049.jpg

The 3.0 is an impressive feat of six cylinders with the power of four :D
Overall reliable engines though. Biggest issue I see with them is bad valve seats. The cylinder head guy at the machine shop I use is of the opinion that Ford didn't thoroughly harden the original seats hence why they tend to suck the valves up in the head. He installs a harder seat, or at least one that is hardened all the way through.

Finished the Kilmat on the drivers side. Tied the resistor in before the relay. Originally had the resistor tied in at the back passenger taillight but the cruise would shut off when I turned on the blinker. There’s no way to split the brake and turn signal. The same 5v reference is present there and the two legs to the back, switches to 12v when the brake is pressed. Think it’ll work 🤷‍♂️
IMG_2800.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: D60
Today I'm debating. Debating if I should go up on the roof, 2.5 stories up and a PITA to get onto. I have to fix the chimney cap, that got wrecked during a windstorm. My problem is I don't have my wife around to call an ambulance if things go bad and I take a dive. It's also a little cold, and my not so young body just doesn't feel like going up on the roof today. So I might end up doing nothing. ;)
Put it off for a better day. Things never go good with those type projects. Especially when you start out feeling the way you do. Do it another time when it feels right. LoL I know sometimes things NEVER feel right the older one gets.

Put it off for a better day. Things never go good with those type projects. Especially when you start out feeling the way you do. Do it another time when it feels right. LoL I know sometimes things NEVER feel right the older one gets.
You're right! I did the job. I have to say for the first time ever I felt uncomfortable up on the roof. Now with over 45 years of climbing ladders in a professional capacity the height and angle of the roof bothered me. Bottom line: nothing good comes from getting old, but the alternatives to not getting old aren't good. ;) I don't want to give into my age, but slowly it is happening.

You're right! I did the job. I have to say for the first time ever I felt uncomfortable up on the roof. Now with over 45 years of climbing ladders in a professional capacity the height and angle of the roof bothered me. Bottom line: nothing good comes from getting old, but the alternatives to not getting old aren't good. ;) I don't want to give into my age, but slowly it is happening.
I know. I been dealing with it for some years now. It is not nice feeling when you know how to do things yet you can not do much anymore and then you have to find competent folks you can trust and have to pay them. My body is making me pay for all the physical beating I put it thru for years on and off the job.

What kinda tree???
(Wet) Aspen and a bit of ponderosa

A local tree svc donates it to my non-profit. They use it to heat the house on-site and I heat my shop with it with zero guilt as all of my non-profit's vehicles are maintained in my shop (about 10-12 vehicles, arguably more if you count key volunteers who use me, too)

They load it with this ride-on Dingo type thing. It's amusing because the machine can pick more than its counterweights, so it regularly does nose dives and requires a skilled operator to not get ejected ;)

Agreed...I could walk ladders in my sleep and scaffolding with just ladder jacks and planks all day long to 40 ft or so. Not so much anymore. 10 ft step ladders are okay still or a push up and that's where I think my new limits may be these days.

I know. I been dealing with it for some years now. It is not nice feeling when you know how to do things yet you can not do much anymore and then you have to find competent folks you can trust and have to pay them. My body is making me pay for all the physical beating I put it thru for years on and off the job.
I hear ya! I'm not there yet, but slowly I am realizing at some point I am going to have to start paying to have work done. One of our plans is to get into a ranch. That will make maintaining the house easier, and my wife a happy camper. Then there is learning how to be a little more patient with doing projects. Here's one example for the sake of argument. One of the fleet needs front and rear brakes. Do them over two days instead of one, or one wheel at a time over a period of a week. Retirement has its perks, there's no one timing you. I have three vehicles, I can lay one up for a month or more if I wanted to. I just have to slowly start thinking that way and eventually come to terms with it. My FIL was changing his own oil, doing brake jobs, and tune ups into his early 80's. He went blind from macular degeneration so he sold his car. He probably would have still been working on it for a few more years.

I hear ya! I'm not there yet, but slowly I am realizing at some point I am going to have to start paying to have work done. One of our plans is to get into a ranch. That will make maintaining the house easier, and my wife a happy camper. Then there is learning how to be a little more patient with doing projects. Here's one example for the sake of argument. One of the fleet needs front and rear brakes. Do them over two days instead of one, or one wheel at a time over a period of a week. Retirement has its perks, there's no one timing you. I have three vehicles, I can lay one up for a month or more if I wanted to. I just have to slowly start thinking that way and eventually come to terms with it. My FIL was changing his own oil, doing brake jobs, and tune ups into his early 80's. He went blind from macular degeneration so he sold his car. He probably would have still been working on it for a few more years.
I presently have zero problems positioning 2-post arms but I've always thought a 4-post would be great for old age when you no longer want to be on your knees on concrete peering under a vehicle.

I know 4-posts have some limitations, but if it's that or nothing.....

I presently have zero problems positioning 2-post arms but I've always thought a 4-post would be great for old age when you no longer want to be on your knees on concrete peering under a vehicle.

I know 4-posts have some limitations, but if it's that or nothing.....
That would be great if you have the room for it.

replaced the sister's windshield wiper blades with new Michelin blades from Costco...I had bought a set of these late last year from Costco for her Corolla she sold and they had very difficult for me to use connectors...
these newer blades from Costco were different and connected to her Santa Fe easily with connectors similar to those found with my usual "go to" blades from Trico

Bill
The current ones are made in Mexico by Pylon. The older ones were Chinesium or Vietnamese. Some Chinese-made blades are OK - see Bosch, but were better when they were made in Europe.

Bosch now makes their Icon/Focus and another blade in Serbia. I have a set of the Costco Michelins on a friend’s car. Seems to be decent.

Did spark plugs and a coil set on the Mustang last night. Had a random funky idle and I figured this was the cheap easy fix before going further. I used the Ford Performance M-12029-M50C coil kit which is literally 8 Motorcraft coils and coil bolts for less than dealer cost. Used the latest level spark plugs, CYFS-12F-1X. Car runs fantastic now.

Also noticed Mickey or Minnie had their way with teh firewall insulation and saw some leftover bio-hazard material on the intake manifold. I have a new insulation along with a new engine harness (very inexpensive from Ford) to change out when I feel like hurting myself.

Also the Loctite anti-seize in a chapstick tube is life changing. I didn't end up looking like Tin-Man.

ENGINE.jpg
ANTI SEIZE.jpg

Did spark plugs and a coil set on the Mustang last night. Had a random funky idle and I figured this was the cheap easy fix before going further. I used the Ford Performance M-12029-M50C coil kit which is literally 8 Motorcraft coils and coil bolts for less than dealer cost. Used the latest level spark plugs, CYFS-12F-1X. Car runs fantastic now.

Also noticed Mickey or Minnie had their way with teh firewall insulation and saw some leftover bio-hazard material on the intake manifold. I have a new insulation along with a new engine harness (very inexpensive from Ford) to change out when I feel like hurting myself.

Also the Loctite anti-seize in a chapstick tube is life changing. I didn't end up looking like Tin-Man.

View attachment 216033View attachment 216032
Nice. How many miles are on your car?

View attachment 216033View attachment 216032
Wow. Ford could barley get that engine between the wheels. Bet its fun to smash the pedal on a nice strip of highway. :)

Back