What are you working on today?

Finished the rest of the fluid fills, services and putting the 1025R back together. Front axle drain and fill… lots of metal from break in. Hydro/trans/hydraulic, both fuel filters, oil change, etc.

Fender on, a few large zip ties and a hydraulic line holder block. Came out real nice and I’m pleased. When it’s all back together it doesn’t look out of place and looks factory-ish.

Not bad for an IT guy.

But the real proof was in the pudding. When the deck is at full raised height…. Drumroll please…. it DOESN’T interfere with the hydraulic lines whatsoever. MAN am I excited. This was the main goal. Now I can check that situation off my list.

IMG_3675.jpeg

IMG_3673.jpeg

Put new blades on the deck and got some mowing in.

IMG_3669.jpeg

Also the PG made MicroGard Select looks good on there.

IMG_3670.jpeg

Now it needs a bath and just time for work.

Finished the rest of the fluid fills, services and putting the 1025R back together. Front axle drain and fill… lots of metal from break in. Hydro/trans/hydraulic, both fuel filters, oil change, etc.

Fender on, a few large zip ties and a hydraulic line holder block. Came out real nice and I’m pleased. When it’s all back together it doesn’t look out of place and looks factory-ish.

Not bad for an IT guy.
Lol I think working in data centers in the past and being anal about cable organization is what helps me when working on mechanical things. :LOL:

Lol I think working in data centers in the past and being anal about cable organization is what helps me when working on mechanical things. :LOL:
I agree with that. Another big thing I get from being in the industry is designing things, projects, improvements etc. that are either easily scalable with little to no waste financially or material wise and or when something is put in, it’s the grandiose/cadillac option where I’m not back tracking if I want better in the future.

Blessing and a curse. I’m not a “this’ll get me by” kinda feller.

I’ve used that similar logic; within reason a lot in IT and it’s a decent principle to keep in mind.

Today at work. Couple diagnose and replace water pumps always a common occurrence on Toyotas. And patched a wire on an oil sensor on a fairly new Toyota an animal of some sort chewed it up, just spliced together so the customer could roll without the oil light on. Also done a fan, fan clutch and radiator and new motor mounts on an older RAV4 which someone rear ended someone in so that’s why it needed those things.

The new tech they hired won’t leave me the heck alone. He can’t even change a cabin filter. I went to my manager and I’m like can we get this guy a person to work with he is like well according to his resume he has all kinds of experience. I said well just because he looks good on paper doesn’t mean anything. I was replacing a fan on a vehicle that had been wrecked in the front end and he come over when I stepped away and tried to be Mr mechanic I came back to him with my tools in his hand saying man a fan should never be tight it’s supposed to be loose so it can spin. I was like if it was loose it would fly off. I took issue with that (him having my tools and trying to do my work while I stepped away) and I requested to my manager he be moved to a different bay that’s not next to me. He agreed and moved him next to our 80 year old mechanic. He said he was moving him to the quick lane tomorrow because he isn’t what he says he is. This guy is 29 and asked me if the word “much” had a K in it. I just walked away it’s not worth the stress. And he has been asking me for my phone number since Thursday last week when he started which I won’t give him. I can tell already I need a beer this weekend lol.
2 things a tech knows and you will be able to tell experience from. Never touch another's tools and don't offer advice without being ask. I had a new hire not only break these unsaid rules, he even took my stall while I was on test drive. He removed tires and drained oil so I wouldn't remove vehicle. I told him I was going home and have a beer so I could cool off. He mentioned this to a tech and thought it was funny. He was told that I did this for his safety so he went to service advisor. I got a call from service advisor to come finish car on my rack since he got terminated for creating a hostel work environment by bragging on what he done. I don't think I ever been terminated on first day.

Horton HT650 air actuated fan clutch replacement on a Freightliner M2 Cummins 6.7L. Fast (audible) air leak coming from fan clutch which means instant DOT violation.

IMG_0480.JPG

Old fan clutch. Space between the friction plate and piston.
IMG_0481.JPG

Airline connects to the nose.
IMG_0482.JPG

New fan clutch installed. 1/2" for the fan to clutch nuts. 5/8" for the clutch to hub bolts.
IMG_0485.JPG

Last edited:
Emptied the oil catch can on the 5.0 as I today couldn't get it off while doing the OC a couple days ago while the engine was still warm. It came off easily with hands this morning and got about a 1/2 tbsp out. Cleaned it up and reinstalled.

1998 Chevrolet Cheyenne 2500 5.7 Vortec
Replaced radiator, radiator hoses, thermostat, flushed block

Rear pads, Pagid on rear of a 2014 Vauxhall Astra.

I hate winding back calipers, especially as it would seem a previous owner put new discs with old pads!

Not a bit of wear or ridge on the discs but on one side there was less than 1mm of pad left, on the other uneven wear and about 6mm of pad

Car did less than 10k miles in last 4 years, I thought caliper on one side was siezed but it wasn’t the piston had just pushed out nearly all the way which meant it was binding up.

One side took an hour to do, the other took 10 minutes

Total work done in last couple of weeks was water pump, thermostat and housing, expansion tank, coolant hoses, oil, oil filter, plugs, air filter, cabin filter, oil cooler.

Under the bonnet it’s basically a Chevrolet Cruze 1.6.

1000002416.jpg

1000002417.jpg

Got the Camaro hubs installed in my Regal. Took a little over 3 hours to do both, taking pauses here and there. There was considerable corrosion in the knuckles, but nothing a wire wheel couldn't fix. Luckily, the ABS sensors slid right out which made the job much less nerve wracking.

Back