What are you working on today?

More hardcore tech.

Cleared a P1689 in my non-profit's '02 CTD. It's been doing this for years. An occasional new VP44 relay fixes it for awhile.

New air filter in my non-profit's '19 Rebel.

Then helped with a tour. This guy is doing the spring blowing of his coat (note fur at knees).
20240503_114732.jpg

I spent the day on Phase 1 of a whole home re-pipe. I live in a mobile home and it was built at the very tail end of when they were using PolyB. I'm not too comfortable having it here and the insurance people aren't happy with it either so it's time to go.

This first phase involved cutting into the main line before the PRV (main line is already PEX), adding a ball valve with drain, and going in a ring around the house to replace two existing hose bibs and add two new ones. I used 3/4" PEX and used 3/4" to 1/2" tees to connect to the hose bibs. I used Woodford hose bibs, which I had to order from the USA - clearly very high quality compared to the junk I can get in the big box stores here. The 3/4" roll was very hard to unroll and straighten but my thinking was that by using 3/4" and putting it before the PRV, it would give me a bit more volume and pressure for the hose bibs and also minimize pressure loss inside the house when I'm using them.

There's not much height under the house and it had been open in the past so I was crawling around in cat urine and droppings. Also cutting into insulation above me so it was nasty, disgusting work but satisfying. The next phase will be replacement of the PolyB itself, as Phase 1 was mostly just new pipe. I didn't get much for pictures but here are a couple....
IMG_6879.JPG
IMG_6881.JPG

You can just see a bit of that nasty grey PolyB there that I've capped off for the moment!

Yesterday

2005 Chevrolet Colorado
Replaced power steering pump, serpentine belt, 3 consecutive drain and fills using the return line nipple on the PS reservoir, changed engine oil.

Also cleaned and relubed my pistol. It wasn't that dirty, but it's been riding iwb in a leather holster daily so it had accumulated a fair amount of lint.

Pole #4 and #5 is in, got tired and didnt finish #6. It was a nice and muddy day. What I thought was a vw sized rock after digging turns out to be a giant hard rock bed that I simply cannot dig deeper with my backhoe. I have been building forms and burying the poles plus only working 4-6 hours per week so its slow going. 3 more poles after #6 then I will pause on digging and frame out the 24x24 and put a roof on, then keep going making another 12x24, and finally another 12x24 until done.

1714918234673.jpg

“Plant rye grass in your summer grass lawn… that’s what i did, stays greener he said.”

Researched it on lawn websites online and they agreed, “to give your lawn the year-around greenery, overseed with rye.”

Well yes, it was a wonderful green way sooner than everyone else, and I’ve been mowing since mid-march.

But

It is growing **one foot per week**. Had to double-mow it today, after 6 days, to get it even.

The natural gas has been red-tagged - somebody reported a smell and gasman tagged it out two weeks ago.
Phoned a plumber; he came out and put a temp patch on the line and turned gas back on.
I’ve been waiting since then for his bid. Several days passed and gasman came out again, said there were other leaks, red-tagged and lockout. That was Tuesday.

Plumber can’t come out before Monday. As shower situation went to all-cold water I did some calculations and figured a torch and 2 one pound bottles of propane should about do it for 50 gallons. Put 1.5 bottles of heat into it yesterday and 1.5 bottles today. Just had to be there or nearby so I didn’t have a sputter, flameout, or overtemp.

“Now you’re cooking with gas”. Nope. Electric plug-in burner or microwave. Clothes drying on the line.

Replaced my damaged radio antenna on the Mini with one I bought from a YouTuber on eBay. Despite parts catalogs telling me the part I bought wouldn’t work, it plugged in and bolted in with no problem.

Changed the dirty air filter and cabin air filter on my Charger.

Then changed oil on the big 54” Craftsman garden tractor that I installed a Predator V twin engine in a couple years back.

Pic of the old and busted antenna next to the newer one.

IMG_1120.jpeg

Started assembling the 3.7. Got the bottom end together with new connecting rods. Got the heads in and cams on one side. Machine shop sent wrong oil pump so cant put oil pan and timing set on yet. Waiting in 4 vvt seals for the cams on the RH bank too. Ac compressor is bolted up in preparation for oil pan installation.” (Compressor bolts to block and oil pan so everything must be aligned when installing oil pan).

IMG_0548.jpeg

IMG_0550.jpeg

IMG_0549.jpeg

IMG_0551.jpeg

IMG_0552.jpeg

IMG_0553.jpeg

IMG_0554.jpeg

IMG_0559.jpeg

Last edited:
I installed a new thicker rear swaybar on my WRX, plus new endlinks and special braces which anchor the sheetmetal swaybar bracket a bit better. Sure is nice working on rust-free cars! I didn't even get my hands dirty.

Worked with our new hired man today to do some of the 1000 hour maintenance on thw skid steer. Engine, hydraulic oil and fuel filters. Not overly hard but we found a nice surprise, the factory hydraulic filter spun right off with my cheapo strap wrench. I was geared up for using a hammer and chisel.

Still need to do chain case oil but thats not critical as we need to run machine a bunch yet today.

2012 Impala
AC not Cooling.
Check engine light
Stuck Actuator. Reprogram AC as it had a code for stuck Actuator. New one was installed around 2 years ago. Customer understands she will need an actuator for passenger side shortly.

Check engine had PO171 and PO174. Fuel trim was 29 for short term and seems like 50 on long term. Bad vacuum line for PVC which is a molded line. Remove line and put 1/2 fuel line as it had to use liquid soap to slide on. Reset fuel trims and now right at 0 on long and short term fuel trim. Light would come back almost immediately now since repair, no light.

Dragged my Husqvarna YTH22V42 to work with me today and gave it a full going over. A 15x6-6 tube and an LG275 maintenance kit cost me less than $50 with my employee discount, and it's a LOT nicer working on a lift table instead of the ground at home.

Back