Went and did it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by dareo
Originally Posted by Ws6
Why diesel though? It costs a lot more in my area at least?

If it doesn't break too much the much higher fuel efficiency balances out higher diesel fuel prices and makes it cheaper to run. At least in Utah it seems diesel is higher about 9 months out of the year. In the used market they seem to be going for very attractive prices diesel or gas version.

There is also the niche factor, fun factor, torque factors as well.

Did this model get affected in the "dieselgate" thing?

Yes, this Touareg was affected and has been brought into compliance by VW. I went diesel because diesel is cheaper than premium in my area because the gas Touareg is a dog. Slower with dismal efficiency.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Congrats.
Just be aware of NOx sensors and heater unit in DEF tank. Heater unit goes for $206 as far as I remember (same as on BMW X5 and MB's).
Is 2012 with 225hp or 240hp?

Last year for the 225hp CATA engine. All the "trouble spots" are covered for 4/48 and then it will get tuned with the swirl flaps, EGR, DPF, SCR, and AdBlue deleted.

Ah yes, North Carolina.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by PimTac
I imagine your insurance premiums went down considerably.

Maybe not. Going from a Z06 corvette to a Jeep Grand Cherokee didn't affect mine enough for me to even remember. maybe $10/mo?

Older crowd drive Corvettes is why the premiums are reasonable/average. Average age is 61.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Why diesel though? It costs a lot more in my area at least?

If it doesn't break too much the much higher fuel efficiency balances out higher diesel fuel prices and makes it cheaper to run. At least in Utah it seems diesel is higher about 9 months out of the year. In the used market they seem to be going for very attractive prices diesel or gas version.

There is also the niche factor, fun factor, torque factors as well.

Did this model get affected in the "dieselgate" thing?

Yes, this Touareg was affected and has been brought into compliance by VW. I went diesel because diesel is cheaper than premium in my area because the gas Touareg is a dog. Slower with dismal efficiency.

Congrats.
Just be aware of NOx sensors and heater unit in DEF tank. Heater unit goes for $206 as far as I remember (same as on BMW X5 and MB's).
Is 2012 with 225hp or 240hp?

Last year for the 225hp CATA engine. All the "trouble spots" are covered for 4/48 and then it will get tuned with the swirl flaps, EGR, DPF, SCR, and AdBlue deleted.

Ah yes, North Carolina.

These TDI's are a awesome deal. I picked up a 2013 Golf TDI last year ( it's all I need, it's just me). Love the diesel.

I have the same plans as you, run it stock until the emissions warranty is up and then delete it all. Kerma and Malone seem to have good kits and tunes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by madRiver
Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by PimTac
I imagine your insurance premiums went down considerably.

Maybe not. Going from a Z06 corvette to a Jeep Grand Cherokee didn't affect mine enough for me to even remember. maybe $10/mo?

Older crowd drive Corvettes is why the premiums are reasonable/average. Average age is 61.

What about the 370Z? It was similar.

Way more practical and a nice car. Good luck with it, sounds like what you need size wise. I get it, I have to use my Cayman as a DD until my wife's car comes in. Space becomes an issue quickly when you need to transport stuff. And I think the 981 has more room with a hatch back and a frunk than the 911.

As far as insurance I think my f250 is more than my 981 to insure. Not sure why.

Yeah, this is what I was working with for tool storage in the 911:

[Linked Image]

Had to buy a craptacular Husky box because neither my Rigid nor Versastack boxes would fit. No spare, doing 4/500 miles a week. 22mpg and premium up over $3/gal.

Not to mention that the hardback Recaros were killing my back over all those miles. The 911 was perfect when I was working overseas and it was a pleasure only ride. The fits my life perfectly.

And if it ever didnt fit all of your tools or whatever you could tow a trailer. Sounds like a great buy for your needs.

The Touareg handily fits all of my tools for my real job AND all of my detailing/paint correction gear.

Pics or it didn't happen :p
...of tools and ...the paint corrected beauty

P.S. idea for your retirement years: If you can extract the nefews/nieces from the tablets, would you equip a kid wheeler with a diesel kubota? or a VW ?

Popped a CEL for the NOx sensor at 82,100 miles. Dropped it off Friday and also had them remove the wheel locks, balance the tires, drain the intercooler, and perform a brake fluid flush.

Not a bad way to spend $78. Pays to have a good relationship with your service department.

Very nice SUV. How mechanically risky are those 2012 tdi? Gotta be a lot cheaper than the v10 tdi if things go bad right?

Not much risk to my eyes. 4yr/48k emissions warranty.

Proven engine, proven transmission.

So, how long before the warranty ends and you dump it?

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Very nice SUV. How mechanically risky are those 2012 tdi? Gotta be a lot cheaper than the v10 tdi if things go bad right?

Not much risk to my eyes. 4yr/48k emissions warranty.

Proven engine, proven transmission.

So, how long before the warranty ends and you dump it?

I have until May '23 and 45k miles to go.

After that, as I said in this thread, it will get a full emissions delete and tune. With the DPF, SCR, EGR, etc. and the associated sensors gone, there won't be much left to fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back