I love barter...Traded Honda for a Kia.

The second worst trade in history.

1712786714661.jpg

New Netherlands Institute

Once you run a few tanks of fresh fuel through it, maybe a good time for a fuel filter?
I'm not used to dealing with cars vintage enough to have them 😂
There's plenty of good O.E (Auto 7) parts on RockAuto, at clearance prices
Filters, mounts, thermostats, lots of good consumables, do look into them 🤔
Any plans to drain and fill the ATF?
I believe it takes SP-III

Not much upgrade path unfortunately with those mediocre 9003 headlights 😔

The million dollar question ⁉️
Are you gonna put an alarm/immobilizer on it to guard yourselves against the Kia Boyz?
I understand the irony that this vehicle is probably older than your average free Kia enjoyer 🙄

/s
1712801290848.jpg

Once you run a few tanks of fresh fuel through it, maybe a good time for a fuel filter?
I'm not used to dealing with cars vintage enough to have them 😂
There's plenty of good O.E (Auto 7) parts on RockAuto, at clearance prices
Filters, mounts, thermostats, lots of good consumables, do look into them 🤔
Any plans to drain and fill the ATF?
I believe it takes SP-III

Not much upgrade path unfortunately with those mediocre 9003 headlights 😔

The million dollar question ⁉️
Are you gonna put an alarm/immobilizer on it to guard yourselves against the Kia Boyz?
I understand the irony that this vehicle is probably older than your average free Kia enjoyer 🙄

/s
View attachment 213526
If the paperwork in post #3 is correct, then fuel filter and sending unit were both done just a couple months ago, as part of that $1500 work order.

My dad got into it and instantly noted the smell of most 1990s and 2000s cars. I think that aged plastics smell alone will act as a theft deterrent, assuming the Kia Boyz completely ignored the body damage and missing paint lol.

@michaelluscher
This work order is only a few months old.
- Fuel Filter
- Fuel Pump module
- Coolant
- ATF
- Oil+Filter
- Damper Assembly (Harmonic Balancer?)
- Mass Air flow sensor. Does look new up close.
- Air intake Hose.
- Idle Speed Stabilizer (Idle Air Control Valve?)
- Both serpentine belts
- Windshield wipers, yay!
- Freon charged. Cools nicely.
NOT on that work order are new tires and new alternator.

The grandkid inherited the Kia and was gonna keep this car around, put money into it. But then he found a good deal on 5.0L S550 Mustang, so little Kia went on marketplace.

The MPG definitely took a hit from the extensive Stress Testing I did on this tank of fuel. Still good numbers, but I expect them to be higher going forward.
277.5 miles / 10.5 gallons = 26.43MPG

Oil is still on the full mark, and still no smoke out of the tailpipe ever. I expected it to have dried up valve seals from sitting for ~6 years, or/and have blue smoke at high RPMs. Thankfully neither of these expectations were met, zero smoke from exhaust. Me gusta.

I'm not a user, but to all who use it - Happy 420 day! 🥳🥴

That's the last time little Kia looks like this.
1000019359.jpg

I only got time until noon, so let's see if a slight makeover is possible in just a few hours on a Saturday morning.
Got new wheels, a few cheap replacement parts from eBay... Also got some SOS steel wool pads... And got some wipe-on clear coat... :unsure:
...it may or may not be getting the "barn find" treatment, aka patina preservation...🤫
A temporarily permanent solution, until it earns itself a paint job.
I have no idea how it's gonna turn out, but let's find out together. :D

Just my personal experience but I hate barter. I love the idea of it but the individuals I have tried to deal with act way too crazy. Not interested anymore if the guy on the other end is severely paranoid and unreasonable. Not worth the time or trouble for me. No more.

Look at any list of mankind's Top Ten inventions. The wheel, penicillin, transistor, light bulb... I have to think that MONEY is a true top ten invention, maybe number one. "Language" is probably the GOAT, but I don't really believe it was "invented".

Look at any list of mankind's Top Ten inventions. The wheel, penicillin, transistor, light bulb... I have to think that MONEY is a true top ten invention, maybe number one. "Language" is probably the GOAT, but I don't really believe it was "invented".
Or the Thermos bottle - how do it know ?

Back