Warranty work question???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: pbm

I'm wasn't suggesting that this is definitely fraud but I was asking for opinions since it seemed strange that the compressor was working the day before....The attitude that 'what's the difference if your not paying for it' is silly since FRAUD costs everybody...

Nothing indicates this is fraud.

Several previous posters seemed to think it sounds fishy (actually more posters found it fishy than not).....but as I said earlier, I'm glad to read knowledgeable posters who say there are safeguards to keep unnecessary repairs to a minimum.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Originally Posted By: CKN
Let's second guess the dealer when it's not costing anything.

Great thread......

+1,000

I'm wasn't suggesting that this is definitely fraud but I was asking for opinions since it seemed strange that the compressor was working the day before....The attitude that 'what's the difference if your not paying for it' is silly since FRAUD costs everybody...

Now we are playing "Dealer Police". This forum gets nuttier every day.

CKN:
Were you in auto sales before you retired?....you seem to stick up for dealers a lot.
I've had more bad experiences with dealers than good ones.....as I said earlier, I avoid them if at all possible.

Yeah good question pbm.

Not to give you a hard time CKN but you sure like to stand up for the dealerships. Which is fine to an extent. There are great ones, good ones, average ones and ones that are crooked and no good at all. Just like every other business or profession.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Yeah good question pbm.

Not to give you a hard time CKN but you sure like to stand up for the dealerships. Which is fine to an extent. There are great ones, good ones, average ones and ones that are crooked and no good at all. Just like every other business or profession.

I don't stand up for them anymore than they are labeled "stealerships" on here. This thread is a perfect example-we have had the suggestion of fraud by a dealer-when there isn't anything indicating there is. And there are safeguards in place to suggest it would be very hard for a dealer to commit fraud.

This thread is like many others-we have those who are second guessing the dealer-or think they know more than the dealer,or think they are crooked. (Quote from above "it sounds fishy")-and whats makes this even more ironic is it's not costing the OP a single cent.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
All warranty parts must be returned to the auto manufacturer at their central warranty system. If the company sees a dealer misdiagnosing too often or replacing parts unnecessarily, I'm sure it would become an issue for the dealer. They wouldn't get away with funny business for too long.

This is not accurate. I have worked in dealerships for 3 major manufacturers, none required all parts be sent back to any "central warranty system".

They did require we keep the old part for a set amount of time, usually 30,-90 days, and they would occasionally request a part be sent to an "engineering investigation" department.

In my 14 years experience, I don't think they ever requested even 5% of the parts we replaced back.

Originally Posted By: cronk
All warranty parts must be returned to the auto manufacturer at their central warranty system. If the company sees a dealer misdiagnosing too often or replacing parts unnecessarily, I'm sure it would become an issue for the dealer. They wouldn't get away with funny business for too long.

This is not accurate. I have worked in dealerships for 3 major manufacturers, none required all parts be sent back to any "central warranty system".

They did require we keep the old part for a set amount of time, usually 30,-90 days, and they would occasionally request a part be sent to an "engineering investigation" department.

In my 14 years experience, I don't think they ever requested even 5% of the parts we replaced back.

I was going to say, the vast majority of parts are scrapped. If the repair is one of those first time ever done repairs, you can rest assured it will be called back. Ford has been issuing 700 tags on all the Takata airbags, but the other ones are scrapped.

As for the OP, it could very well be that your TSB did not fix the problem, it is not unusual at all. I know from personal experience, customers that bring in TSBs usually get back-burnered, or that TSB is tossed in the trash as soon as the tech gets the repair order. A lot of the TSBs that customers bring in to my dealer tend to be replaced multiple times where the repair procedure is changed. Ford makes it very easy for their techs to look up TSBs, SSMs, and any diagnostic assistance necessary. As soon as you hook up the IDS, it will run any codes through OASIS and spit back any pertinent articles.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: cronk

I was going to say, the vast majority of parts are scrapped. If the repair is one of those first time ever done repairs, you can rest assured it will be called back. Ford has been issuing 700 tags on all the Takata airbags, but the other ones are scrapped.

As for the OP, it could very well be that your TSB did not fix the problem, it is not unusual at all. I know from personal experience, customers that bring in TSBs usually get back-burnered, or that TSB is tossed in the trash as soon as the tech gets the repair order. A lot of the TSBs that customers bring in to my dealer tend to be replaced multiple times where the repair procedure is changed. Ford makes it very easy for their techs to look up TSBs, SSMs, and any diagnostic assistance necessary. As soon as you hook up the IDS, it will run any codes through OASIS and spit back any pertinent articles.

Gee....a post by somebody who has first hand knowledge and isn't pure speculation and accusations.

Thank you for your post!

Last edited:
I will say a lot of times techs are way overworked. We have techs who just want time to properly diagnose and fix a customer's car, but are rushed through their work. One of our newer techs that has all of his Ford certs currently has 15 cars he is working in in various stages of diagnosis, waiting for parts or authorizations, and repair. He will start working on one car, and a service writer will pull him off and put him on one of theirs.

As far as calling parts back, I have a stack of about 7-8 steering racks waiting for Ford to tell me what to do with them. I know one is customer pay so that can go back as a core, but we have one from April that Ford is dragging their feet on giving me disposition. I had some down time today so I finally got time to purge a bunch of older parts. We have a tech that collects old airbags and pretensioner seatbelts, I don't ask why he wants them but he gets all excited when I walk down to his bay with them.

We have a tech that collects old airbags..... I don't ask why he wants them but he gets all excited when I walk down to his bay with them.

There's a video (or two) on YouTube that has these California guys (I think) who fit an air bag under a bicycle seat, put the deserted bike in a park and wait for it to be stolen. When it gets taken, they arc a couple of wires together that are hooked to the air bag and laugh as the thief literally gets thrown off the bike.
Your tech wouldn't have a dark side, would he?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Kruse
We have a tech that collects old airbags..... I don't ask why he wants them but he gets all excited when I walk down to his bay with them.

There's a video (or two) on YouTube that has these California guys (I think) who fit an air bag under a bicycle seat, put the deserted bike in a park and wait for it to be stolen. When it gets taken, they arc a couple of wires together that are hooked to the air bag and laugh as the thief literally gets thrown off the bike.
Your tech wouldn't have a dark side, would he?
laugh.gif

Nah nothing like that. His dad is the perfect combination of intelligent, resourceful, and distrusting of the government that he is real fun to hang out with. I have a sneaking suspicion he is leaving presents for any black helicopters that may visit.

Last edited:
You do stand up on their behalf quite a bit on here. I am not saying that you are wrong for doing so. It is good to have someone like yourself who thinks about things from another non typical position on here. That is a counter balance that can be very necessary at times.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
You do stand up on their behalf quite a bit on here. I am not saying that you are wrong for doing so. It is good to have someone like yourself who thinks about things from another non typical position on here. That is a counter balance that can be very necessary at times.

Thank you...those are kind words.

If it's blowing 50/50 dash-floor out the drivers side and then 100 out the passenger side dash vents, isn't that a blend door or mode door issue ?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
If it's blowing 50/50 dash-floor out the drivers side and then 100 out the passenger side dash vents, isn't that a blend door or mode door issue ?

You would think so, especially since it was FREEZING my feet that made me realize that the lower door was open when in full face mode. The AC was DEFINITELY working when the car went in so it's understandable that some of us find it suspicious that the compressor is bad. I never ACCUSED the dealer of fraud but rather asked fellow BITOGers for their opinions..

I can honestly say that I've been back to dealers maybe a dozen times in my 40+ years of driving and the bad experiences far out weigh the good. The whole process of speaking to a 'customer service' rep who relays your concerns to a mechanic leads to issues. As bdcardinal said "they put you on the backurner and throw out the TSB"...nice.

When I brought my Chevy Cruze in 4 times for the coolant loss/odor issue, the SA told me she never heard of the issue when there was 150 page blog on 'Cruzetalk' about it and it had been reported on television.

I don't want to get in a pi**ing match with CKN but I notice that he hasn't confirmed or denied whether he was in the
auto sales/service industry. There is good reason that car salesman are held in the same esteem as politicians.

they "were waiting for advisement from Ford"

So a Ford technician at a Ford dealer talked to the Ford tech hotline, and we're going to debate this on BITOG when none of us have inspected the vehicle and the repairs aren't even completed yet. Anyone who thinks that is ridiculous must be a shill. Do I have that right?

I also would speculate that it would be a blend door. However, I would not presume to hold my armchair speculation above the efforts of the tech who's working on the car AND the hotline.

Sometimes these threads are just moaning and [censored] matches.

Sometimes other owners weigh in with experiencing the same issue/same car, and that can be priceless.

OP doesn't know which way it's going to go...

Well since the car is getting fixed for free under warranty, it doesn't matter how many people weigh in with right or wrong answers. That leaves the "stealership" crowd.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
they "were waiting for advisement from Ford"

So a Ford technician at a Ford dealer talked to the Ford tech hotline, and we're going to debate this on BITOG when none of us have inspected the vehicle and the repairs aren't even completed yet. Anyone who thinks that is ridiculous must be a shill. Do I have that right?

I also would speculate that it would be a blend door. However, I would not presume to hold my armchair speculation above the efforts of the tech who's working on the car AND the hotline.

EXACTLY!
Good post!

Ahh it's all good CKN. Just saying what I am thinking, believing to be true and seeing sir. I am glad that you are on here. In fact you had one of the best posts I have ever seen on here about a controversial topic. I wish I had remembered to take my Namenda and Prevagen today so I could exactly remember where to find it
smile.gif
But it was great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back