Aftermarket A/C Compressor

Has anyone ever purchased an A/C compressor for their vehicle other than OEM if it be remanufactured or new of another brand? If so what was it, I'm working on a Ford Edge, with the 3.5.
Thank you.

Last edited:
For older cars with known weak compressors (eg R4), there are folks who sell Sanden conversions.

So yes, it has been done.

There are also often multiple manufacturers of older designs.
This isn't something that old, I just don't want to spend $400. on a factory compressor. The car is a 13

This isn't something that old, I just don't want to spend $400. on a factory compressor. The car is a 13
What’s less? Some Chinese rip-off that supports their war machine and spy balloons, and is poor quality?

If there’s a quality aftermarket like sanden, nippondenso, etc, that saves some cost because it isn’t from the dealer, go for it. But I wouldn’t buy junk to save a few bucks in a system that is pressurized and where failure will ruin the system worse.

I'm not looking to buy junk that's why I'm asking, what brands are, decent? I see UAC on Rock Auto thinking about just picking up one from the salvage yard..

Last edited:
I've used at least a dozen Four Seasons remanufactured compressors over the years without issue. In fact, the only replacement compressor that's ever failed me was a "new" GPD unit from RA. 100% Chinesium that lasted a hair over a year before self-destructing. I'll take a quality remanufactured unit any day over a China-made new unit.

I'm not looking to buy junk that's why I'm asking, what brands are, decent? I see UAC on Rock Auto thinking about just picking up one from the salvage yard..
Well what kind of compressor is it actually?

Best bet is to buy the name brand from the original vendor not the vehicle manufacturer parts counter.

For example, the 1991 MB 350SD I’m working on right now has a Denso 10P17C compressor. Buying the MB part would be $814, vs buying the Denso branded one for $417.

IMG_5781.jpg

That’s what I’d be looking for. Name brand without automaker markings.

I’ve run four seasons R-4 compressors before without issue, but not sure about other models.

Well what kind of compressor is it actually?

Best bet is to buy the name brand from the original vendor not the vehicle manufacturer parts counter.

For example, the 1991 MB 350SD I’m working on right now has a Denso 10P17C compressor. Buying the MB part would be $814, vs buying the Denso branded one for $417.

View attachment 166387

That’s what I’d be looking for. Name brand without automaker markings.

I’ve run four seasons R-4 compressors before without issue, but not sure about other models.
Very good question but I can't answer it, considering it's not off yet, I'm working on a 2013 Ford Edge with a 3.5 if that tells you anything?

That's probably your best bet.
I've done that for years, and it has worked well for me.

I've always heard remand air compressors are not a good choice
I look at it like this: Most remanufactured parts have actually been on a car before and have worked as designed. Fitment, therefore, should never be an issue. And with a good remanufacturing process, the net result is as good as new.

Compare that to an all-new Chinese compressor (or brake caliper, or master cylinder, etc.). You get a new Chinese casting with Chinese bearings, Chinese seals, and Chinese innards...all assembled by a Chinese dude in lieu of an American worker. Nope.

I wasn't thinking about a Chinese one.. I was thinking about a salvage yard one, my point is, I'm not going to get no warranty in that compressor, unless I change out that receiver dryer.

Back