A/C compressor clutch squeal

On my old 2005 Chevy 5.3 with 243,000 miles. A/C has always worked great but has recently developed an intermittent squeal which I suspect is the clutch bearing. Squeals especially when cold, but lessens after warming up. I took the a/c belt off and no noise. I can get a new complete AC Delco clutch for roughly $200. The compressor is mounted low on the passenger side with very little room to work. I got an estimate from my local Indy shop for between $700 to $1,000 for a new system ( excluding evap coil ) using NAPA parts. I realize an 18 year old vehicle with near 1/4 million miles is worth near nothing but it has been well maintained all its life and still drives good and looks pretty good to be an old ( cat eye ) Chevy.
Being January, I have some time to ponder what I’m going to do but I’m leaning towards replacing the a/c clutch and taking a chance the rest of the system lasts a while. I’m thinking I might be able to take the mounting bolts to the compressor off to gain a little wiggle room to access the snap rings and shims which are fairly deep in the clutch to get the clutch off the shaft. Has anyone here done the a/c clutch replacement with good results?

Doesn't the A/C on that have its own belt and tensioner? I'd replace the belt and the tensioner first as that is what your noise sounds like to me.. Its also possible that your compressor itself is being hard to spin up from time to time and causing to belt to squeal. I have done a few clutch replacements and honestly have never had good results and for the hassle it would have been easier to just evac/recharge after a whole compressor replacement. If your compressor is still working fine you should be able to get away with just removing/replacing and recharging. A whole new GM genuine compressor is only $252 (Denso is $222) on amazon and comes with a clutch. Add in a few bucks for freon and you should be good to go for the remaining life of the truck. Just my 2 c.

You can use a stethoscope on the compressor while its running and you'll know immediately if you truly have a bearing issue.

Last edited:
I used to have an old Nissan Hardbody pickup that would scream like a monkey when the clutch engaged. It wasn't the bearing but rather the clutch itself. The air gap was out of specification and I'd have to rev the engine to near redline to get it to engage and when it did it let the world know. I once had an 18 wheeler driver look my way on the interstate when the compressor engaged. It honestly was that loud.

To fix my problem I just changed out the compressor. The truck was old and wasn't worth putting any money into so I sprung for a $200 compressor and did all of the work myself. It worked out fantastic and I had cold, quiet air once again. I didn't bother changing all of that other stuff because the system had never been opened or leaked or had any other signs of failure. I just drew a vacuum for an hour to make sure all of the moisture was out of the system and it worked perfectly.

Doesn't the A/C on that have its own belt and tensioner?
Yes, a small belt behind the main serpentine belt. I replaced the A/C belt and tensioner a couple of years ago. My A/C works so well, and of course the cost with labor included for a new system, is the reason I’m considering just replacing the clutch assembly. From what I’ve read and the YouTube videos I’ve watched show it’s a major PITA as far as access from only the top to just R&R the clutch.

I'd surely try a new and properly tensioned belt first just to make sure that wasn't the issue. Now that the belt is off what do the bearings feel like in the tensioner pulley?

I’ve never had a clutch squeal, all mine either slip and disconnect (especially when hot) or just stop working altogether. I'm not even sure how one would make a squealing noise if it was defective.

Last edited:
I didn't bother changing all of that other stuff because the system had never been opened or leaked or had any other signs of failure. I just drew a vacuum for an hour to make sure all of the moisture was out of the system and it worked perfectly.
This might be the way to go…….:unsure:(y)

Yes, a small belt behind the main serpentine belt. I replaced the A/C belt and tensioner a couple of years ago. My A/C works so well, and of course the cost with labor included for a new system, is the reason I’m considering just replacing the clutch assembly. From what I’ve read and the YouTube videos I’ve watched show it’s a major PITA as far as access from only the top to just R&R the clutch.
What brands are the belt and the tensioner?

I replaced the clutch on my CRV with the compressor on the car and it was a nightmare to get the pulley pulled off then back on and set the air gap and in the end the Clutch wasn't actually the issue. Would have been easy to swap the clutch with the compressor on the bench, but if you've got the compressor on the bench you might as well just put a new compressor back in for the difference in cost...

I'd start with another belt/tensioner first though. I've had new belts that didn't last as long as I thought it should and sent me looking for a far worse problem that didn't exist before..

Could there be something inside the compressor making an intermittent squealing noise?

If there's no metal shavings from the old compressor in the ac system, I'd throw a new compressor on it and send it. Maybe do the accumulator and some seals at the same time.

My daughter has a 07 Honda CRV and the air didn't work. Son and I put a new compressor on it and it lasted about a month. We ordered it From RA. Well we found the original problem with that compressor when we replaced it. Had a corroded ground to the clutch coil. We put the original compressor back on it and adjusted the spacing on the clutch by removing a shim on the shaft. We charged it up and has been working grat now for 3 years. She is a rural postal carrier and runs AC all day. And the radio too.

Any reason you don't want to do the compressor yourself? They aren't that hard... pays 1.5 hours by the book.

There's lots of room once you pull the RF wheel and fender liner. A new GM Genuine compressor is $240 on RA.

I had a bad bearing and changed it out but I think I could have just lubed it with some spray oil or grease.

Back