VW Atlas #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this in the other Atlas thread, but I'll add it here, too...

An interesting note, to bolster the new Atlas and Tiguan and fight their reliability stigma, VW is actually offering a competitive warranty. Those models will have a bumper-to-bumper 6-year/72k mile warranty. There's no separate powertrain warranty. For some reason, I don't think they're extending the warranty on the cars.

http://newsroom.vw.com/uncategorized/ame...n-atlas-tiguan/

If VW wants to be competitive, they should really offer this longer warranty on all their vehicles. I think it would do a lot to sway people who are scared of the old tales of VW reliability problems.

Yes and it is transferable but everywhere you look they are advertising that warranty.
If they gave you free maintenance for 6 years people would keep them that long too.
I would do that and slip the cost into the MSRP

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
I posted this in the other Atlas thread, but I'll add it here, too...

An interesting note, to bolster the new Atlas and Tiguan and fight their reliability stigma, VW is actually offering a competitive warranty. Those models will have a bumper-to-bumper 6-year/72k mile warranty. There's no separate powertrain warranty. For some reason, I don't think they're extending the warranty on the cars.

If VW wants to be competitive, they should really offer this longer warranty on all their vehicles. I think it would do a lot to sway people who are scared of the old tales of VW reliability problems.

Originally Posted By: Tech819
There nice. Get it and you will love it. VW's are drivers cars. You will always get haters who have never owned one that will bash VW.

Yep-here on BITOG-it's Subarus, Hyundais and Kias that get the hate-in addition to VWs.

But those Crown Vics get all the love........

Originally Posted By: CKN
There nice. Get it and you will love it. VW's are drivers cars. You will always get haters who have never owned one that will bash VW.

Yep-here on BITOG-it's Subarus, Hyundais and Kias that get the hate-in addition to VWs.

Say something about Honda like the new nine speed transmission is horrible and watch how angry people get, like Hondas never have any problems and that issue is a one off.

Originally Posted By: CKN

Say something about Honda like the new nine speed transmission is horrible and watch how angry people get, like Hondas never have any problems and that issue is a one off.

Very true. Motor Trend magazine replaced the nine speed in their Pilot long term tester and it still wasn't right. The guy testing the vehicle HATED that transmission.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666

The Atlas and Tiguan are the only 18 models released so far, so it may (or may not) in fact roll out on other models.

I'm waiting to see the '18 Tiguan in person so we can decide between that and an Atlas. My Jetta SE at least has the leather-wrapped wheel, that plastic one would irritate me.

As an aside, I was prepared to HATE the V-Tex pleather seats, but they breathe very well and are so easy to clean. I've been a cloth seat fan for decades, but VW may have converted me to pleather.

What about those who owned one, spent a lot of time wrenching on it, got sick of all the random electrical issues and lack of replacement parts, and had it towed away for charity just to avoid ever seeing it anymore?
laugh.gif

In its favor I'll say it did have a certain fun to drive factor when it ran. But the juice was NOT worth the squeeze for that car!

Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
I'm waiting to see the '18 Tiguan in person so we can decide between that and an Atlas.

That's kind of apples and oranges. You either need a 7-seater or your don't.

Originally Posted By: stower17
That cheap looking steering wheel would drive me insane.
It looks like its been ripped out of a Chevrolet Cavalier rental car. If there's ONE thing I'd BEG a manufacturer to splurge on, it would be the steering wheel.

Its what the driver touches all the darn time. If he touches something cheap, he'll have a bad feeling for the rest of the car.

A Toyota Camry that I previously owned and then gave to my sister came stock with a lousy foam rubber steering wheel.
Picture of one for visual reference:

A Lexus ES300 wood and leather steering wheel from eBay utterly transformed the entire driving experience of that car. The driving experience went from "ugh" to "I am SO loving this!!!"

That's the style of the wheel that bolted right in. I miss that car if only for that steering wheel, for it was truly divine to touch; a thing of beauty and a joy forever.

Epilogue: She wrecked that car a couple of months after I gave it to her. I still lament the loss ten years later.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
If there's ONE thing I'd BEG a manufacturer to splurge on, it would be the steering wheel.

+1

A nice steering wheel can make a difference between something that feels like an appliance and something special.

My wife's '16 CRV EX has a plastic wheel too...yuck.

Quattro Pete, there's the 3rd row is a minimal part of the issue...it's more about general space inside. We have a 75lb puppy and are getting him a little brother on Monday, so within 6 months we'll be lugging around 2 pretty good sized dogs, and I'm starting to think the cargo area might work better than using the doggie seat covers that clip over the headrests in the back seat.

A big station wagon would be even better, if such a thing still existed, because the lower loading height/seat height would make it easier to get the beasties in the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
A big station wagon would be even better, if such a thing still existed, because the lower loading height/seat height would make it easier to get the beasties in the vehicle.

How about that new Buick Regal station wagon? Not sure if it's big enough...

Ha, CincyDavid, I love that moniker. Roadmonster. I'll put that into my quiver, right next to Toyota Landcrusher.

Haha, I had a 92? Roadmonster sedan, silver, no vinyl top, gray mousefur seats, pretty basic option package but wire wheel covers and full analog instruments including a tach. Loved that car, but it had HORRIBLE rear seat leg room for a car that size.

Yikes man. Rear seat leg room is vastly underrated. Ever try to sit in the back of a Buick Verano? Someone's not getting the message! haha

I was just looking at currently available station wagons and saw a Jag XF Sportbrake. Fairly big and quite good looking (IMO), but you could buy two Atlases for the same price.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back