New family hauler - VW Atlas

I thought it was all new for 2024. Looks about the same from the outside other than the grille being a bit different? The interior materials do look nicer with the stitched seats and faux wood. And there is no V6 option now, correct?

Great looking in red. I believe the engine is an ea888 2.0 liter turbo 4, very similar to the one in your GLI and my GTI. I see towing limit is 5000 pounds.

I thought it was all new for 2024. Looks about the same from the outside other than the grille being a bit different? The interior materials do look nicer with the stitched seats and faux wood. And there is no V6 option now, correct?

Correct, it's a big update though, bigger than 2021. New front fascia, different rear taillights, and completely new interior. No more v6.

Great looking in red. I believe the engine is an ea888 2.0 liter turbo 4, very similar to the one in your GLI and my GTI. I see towing limit is 5000 pounds.
Thanks, yes - it's the gen 4 engine vs my GLI has gen 3 EA888. The differences are minimal.

I think Atlas comes with the bigger Golf R turbo unlike the GTI/GLI, it is just tuned more conservatively.

Thanks, yes - it's the gen 4 engine vs my GLI has gen 3 EA888. The differences are minimal.

I think Atlas comes with the bigger Golf R turbo unlike the GTI/GLI, it is just tuned more conservatively.
Sounds like you need to swap your two turbos around :)

Love my 2021.5 SE 2.0T.

Eats up the miles in comfort. Plenty of space and great gas mileage.

So I've put about 1000 km (600 ish miles), wanted to share my impressions:

- It's very comfortable, 4 cylinder turbo engine pumps a lot of torque, has nice bottom end grunt and decent mid-range power.
- Tons of usable space, if you don't want body-on-frame giant 3-rows like Tahoe, this is the way to go.
- The fuel consumption isn't too bad, despite being one of the bigger unibody 3-rows on the market. Currently averaging 11.5l /100 km or 21 MPG with freedom units, 70% hwy, 30% stop and go result.
- Interior doesn't feel like a base-mid trim model at all, they have done a great job despite having annoying infotainment screen.
- The screen definitely takes time to get used to, and definitely not for everyone. It's large and easy to reach.
- The front seats, especially bottom cushions are bolstered a little too much, not a big problem when you are driving, but getting in and out you feel the side bolster, the driver seat bolster will wear out really quick (I think, only time will tell)
- The most surprising (negative) part is that there is no oil dipstick. There is still the dipstick tube, so not like a BMW engine where they design it that way, they simply put a cap on top of the tube. Annoying! I bought the actual dipstick, should be here by Tuesday.

So far, I've done PPF to the front end and door cups etc., rustproofing without drilling the car and also enabled some features through OBDeleven such as:

1) Now I can fully disable electronic stability control. It only allows you to switch ESC Sport from the factory. Luckily it was snowing yesterday and had a chance to try it, it works!
2) I can get out of the vehicle when the engine is running, and lock the doors with the keyfob or door handle. This is helpful especially when I drop off my daughter to daycare, so it continues to warm up but the car is locked.
3) The car comes with travel assist & lane centering feature, but I also enabled the lane change assist, haven't tried yet but there were no issues with the coding - fingers crossed.
4) Eliminated all system restrictions. Now I can go through settings while driving.
5) The car will remember my last heater level for the front seats
6) No more "ignition on!" chime when you open the driver door
7) Reduced system OCI reminder to 10k km.
8) Enabled Golf R screen layouts (removed the R logo)
9) Windows can be opened/closed with the keyfob
10) Enabled few gauges like steering angle, engine power/torque, transmission temp etc.

There are few more stuff that I've done but those are the most useful 10 features I enabled so far.

Last edited:
So I've put about 1000 km (600 ish miles), wanted to share my impressions:

- It's very comfortable, 4 cylinder turbo engine pumps a lot of torque, has nice bottom end grunt and decent mid-range power.
- Tons of usable space, if you don't want body-on-frame giant 3-rows like Tahoe, this is the way to go.
- The fuel consumption isn't too bad, despite being one of the bigger unibody 3-rows on the market. Currently averaging 11.5l /100 km or 21 MPG with freedom units, 70% hwy, 30% stop and go result.
- Interior doesn't feel like a base-mid trim model at all, they have done a great job despite having annoying infotainment screen.
- The screen definitely takes time to get used to, and definitely not for everyone. It's large and easy to reach.
- The front seats, especially bottom cushions are bolstered a little too much, not a big problem when you are driving, but getting in and out you feel the side bolster, the driver seat bolster will wear out really quick (I think, only time will tell)
- The most surprising (negative) part is that there is no oil dipstick. There is still the dipstick tube, so not like a BMW engine where they design it that way, they simply put a cap on top of the tube. Annoying! I bought the actual dipstick, should be here by Tuesday.

So far, I've done PPF to the front end and door cups etc., rustproofing without drilling the car and also enabled some features through OBDeleven such as:

1) Now I can fully disable electronic stability control. It only allows you to switch ESC Sport from the factory. Luckily it was snowing yesterday and had a chance to try it, it works!
2) I can get out of the vehicle when the engine is running, and lock the doors with the keyfob or door handle. This is helpful especially when I drop off my daughter to daycare, so it continues to warm up but the car is locked.
3) The car comes with travel assist & lane centering feature, but I also enabled the lane change assist, haven't tried yet but there were no issues with the coding - fingers crossed.
4) Eliminated all system restrictions. Now I can go through settings while driving.
5) The car will remember my last heater level for the front seats
6) No more "ignition on!" chime when you open the driver door
7) Reduced system OCI reminder to 10k km.
8) Enabled Golf R screen layouts (removed the R logo)
9) Windows can be opened/closed with the keyfob
10) Enabled few gauges like steering angle, engine power/torque, transmission temp etc.

There are few more stuff that I've done but those are the most useful 10 features I enabled so far.
Make sure to increase the ventilated seat fan speed too...on the GLI at least its default setting on high is 80%.

Make sure to increase the ventilated seat fan speed too...on the GLI at least its default setting on high is 80%.
I actually did, I didn't want to include that in my previous post as I didn't want to keep it very long, but it was 85%, changed it to 100%.

It makes oil changes a snap. Can be done topside in 15 minutes. We have the 2.0 in our Q5 and its the easiest oil change ever

It makes oil changes a snap. Can be done topside in 15 minutes. We have the 2.0 in our Q5 and its the easiest oil change ever
1st generation EA888 was even easier because it has a top canister style filter. I have it in Tiguan, and there is no need to mess with the cartridge.

I truly enjoy a new vehicle for the opportunity to do all the break in oil changes the right way.
Great point, even though I have free maintenance for the next 3 years, I'll still do a break in oil change myself.

I also did the same for my GLI but around 2k miles, right before I hit the track. Wear metals look great after 3 sessions.

Grabbed 6 qts of 508.00 0w20 (OEM) and OEM oil filter. I will probably do it when I hit 2000 miles like the way I did for the GLI. (Also waiting warmer weather)

Great point, even though I have free maintenance for the next 3 years, I'll still do a break in oil change myself.

I also did the same for my GLI but around 2k miles, right before I hit the track. Wear metals look great after 3 sessions.

Grabbed 6 qts of 508.00 0w20 (OEM) and OEM oil filter. I will probably do it when I hit 2000 miles like the way I did for the GLI. (Also waiting warmer weather)
I enjoyed doing the first oil change at around 600 mi.then at 10k trans front and rear dif and transfer case with amsoil. A real good get acquainted with. I did throw on a procharger at 6 k so it did suffer through a couple dyno tunes. After getting the last two cars used and seeing the 9900 mi dealer oil changes.Not good on any vehicle in my opinion. Do pics it will be fun.

Is the gen 4 ea888 specing 508?

Back