API versus Euro oil, for the same engine

I have a 2013 Ford Edge with a 3.5 my vehicle calls for 5W20 here in the states, but over in Europe it has a listing for several different oils,
Engine Fluids
Synthetic Oil (viscosity)
0W-30 | 0W-40 | 5W-30 | 5W-40 | 10W-30 | 10W-40. Now is that because CAFE here, or was something different over there with the engines, or the emission system?
Just Curious 🤔

A 2023 Toyota 4Runner USA owners manual recommends 0W20 changed every 12 months or 10k miles. The manual also states, "an oil with a higher viscosity may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions". Do you have similar wording in your owners manual? What is your driving style?

My wife makes frequent short trips and enjoys driving fast. I use 5W-30 and change it every 5000 miles.

A 2023 Toyota 4Runner USA owners manual recommends 0W20 changed every 12 months or 10k miles. The manual also states, "an oil with a higher viscosity may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions". Do you have similar wording in your owners manual? What is your driving style?

My wife makes frequent short trips and enjoys driving fast. I use 5W-30 and change it every 5000 miles.
My owners manual strictly States 5W20 synthetic blend but I use synthetic.

A failed water pump is going to do your engine in long before any choice in oils has an impact. I’d check the oil after every single drive to see if there’s any coolant from the water pump lunching itself.

Other than that, you can go to a 30 grade, or keep a 20. These aren’t super-stressed engines.

A failed water pump is going to do your engine in long before any choice in oils has an impact. I’d check the oil after every single drive to see if there’s any coolant from the water pump lunching itself.

Other than that, you can go to a 30 grade, or keep a 20. These aren’t super-stressed engines.
My water pump was replaced last spring out of preventive maintenance, along with the timing chains tensioners and guides also the oil pump everything was Motorcraft, except the oil filter and antifreeze, inside the engine looked like it had 25,000 miles on it the technician said, because he scoped it, at the time I had 115K

My owners manual strictly States 5W20 synthetic blend but I use synthetic.
Unless your UOA's show some sort of elevated wear going on a 5w-20 full syn. should work well for your 13' Edge. If you're experiencing elevated oil burning or would like to extend the mileage beyond the oil life monitor then I'd suggest a 5w-30.

My water pump was replaced last spring out of preventive maintenance, along with the timing chains tensioners and guides also the oil pump everything was Motorcraft, except the oil filter and antifreeze, inside the engine looked like it had 25,000 miles on it the technician said, because he scoped it, at the time I had 115K
I prefer a 30 weight for engines with timing chains.
Especially cold short trippers.....like me.

Back