Used Truck shopping...maybe

What about truck owners who don't know? Asking for a friend...

I would suggest opening your driver's side door and checking the yellow and white sticker (On the door jam/pillar). Underneath the tire sizes it will say something as follows-"The cargo and passengers for this vehicle should not exceed XXXXX" That's the number you need to be concerned with. NOT THE NUMBER the manufacturer says it will tow.

If the sticker isn't there you can search for it or look elsewhere.

A tow rating assumes various things like a weight distributing hitch or not, ideal tongue weights that do not exceed the payload capacity, even limits on frontal area in some cases. Most average motorists fail to understand all of it, truck owner or not.

Uncledave, it does have the front skid plate

Anything covering the diffs? The square in the front plate is unsurprisingly covering the filter.

Some titans were sold with an " off-road package" that includes covers over the trans, diffs and rancho shocks. The ranchos went early.

I put in a set of SS brake lines which helped stiffen the pedal up. Ive had best luck with Hawk LTS pads.

UD

Anything covering the diffs? The square in the front plate is unsurprisingly covering the filter.

Some titans were sold with an " off-road package" that includes covers over the trans, diffs and rancho shocks. The ranchos went early.

I put in a set of SS brake lines which helped stiffen the pedal up. Ive had best luck with Hawk LTS pads.

UD

I'll have to see, I also heard if the rear diff tag lists 3.36, then you have max tow package.

I'll have to see, I also heard if the rear diff tag lists 3.36, then you have max tow package.

hmmm now I want to check myself,
I can say with a large degree of certainty without a trans temp gauge you dont - but you do - so Im guessing you have that.

Agreed. There are too many non-truck owners who comment on truck threads who don't know about GCWR/payload.

Payload, shmayload...

Git-R-Done!!!

Attachments

• 120109094_804408633659650_9125216519622767130_n.jpg
    120109094_804408633659650_9125216519622767130_n.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 32
Been driving the truck for a week or so and really like it a lot! Engine/trans are solid and smooth. Got some new shoes today(Michelin Defender LTX) and just finished an oil change, p/s fluid change, air filter, cabin filter, and cleaned the MAF.

While doing the oil change, I looked it over well. No axle leaks which is a plus. I did notice a couple of days after buying though that it does have the manifold leak at cold start up and goes away quickly. I know it gets worse though, I'm going to skip OEM stuff and put in long tube headers and new catted B-pipes. Not an expense I was counting on right now, but not too upset as I knew the manifolds were a weak point.

Well that sucks, but in Arizona you can fix it pretty cheap with headers and you are done.

Im guessing the guy that sold it to you warmed it up before you got there so you couldn't hear it.

UD

Well that sucks, but in Arizona you can fix it pretty cheap with headers and you are done.

Im guessing the guy that sold it to you warmed it up before you got there so you couldn't hear it.

UD

I think you're right, oh well... I'm going with JBA Longtubes, Cajun catted b-pipe and the uprev tune to dial in the a/f ratio, etc. Should never have to touch it again!

I think you're right, oh well... I'm going with JBA Longtubes, Cajun catted b-pipe and the uprev tune to dial in the a/f ratio, etc. Should never have to touch it again!

On the up-rev, show up with a nearly empty tank so you can build a map with regular and one with premium.

I wish I could put headers on my truck.

UD

How old are the kids? I thought the double cab was sufficient for my kids--when my son is 6' maybe not, but he hasn't gotten there yet, plus... what do I care about the kid's comfort? we all had to suffer, way back when we were kids... I recall having to ride three across in the family station wagon, no a/c ... I digress!

I suspect that DC will be tight if not a real pain if dealing with rear facing infant seats. Not sure, never tried. Once I put on running boards the kids seemed unfazed with my truck. They have enough space. The down size of the Gen 2 crew cab is that they have a shorter bed--I thought the 6.5' bed of the DC was about right for my needs, balancing cab vs bed. [Although lately I've been disliking the bed size and would be ok with a shorter bed, it's too hard to get to stuff!]
Kids get too pampered today. I'm 37 and when I was young none of our cars had AC.

Just got the header install finished. I had a shop do it due to time constraints. Glad I did though, they struggled and the tech was exhausted(pun intended).

Got her back this morning and uploaded the base tune before I started it. Man she's running strong! On my way home, I did some datalogging. Dave, I'll have to wait on logging for the 91 tune, it has 3/4 tank of 87 right now. The Uprev software/process couldn't be easier and Cajun B-pipes has excellent service and support.

As an additional side benefit; the exhaust has a nice growl to it. Not loud mind you, but you know it's there. With this setup, only 2/4 cats remain which are the high flow units built into the new b-pipes and I kept the rest of the exhaust stock. Honestly don't need anything more, just enough noise and tolerable, especially with the kids.

Update on a little over a month of ownership with the Titan; a few small things have popped up.

- Driver rear brake caliper needs to be changed. Went to have the brakes bled/flushed and the bleeder is sheered off.
- Belt/pulley? noise when truck is running. Easy fix.
- I think the trans mount needs to be changed, as it's a common part failure on these. In Drive at idle, there is some vibration. $30 fix.

Other than that, so far so good. I love the truck; good power and I like the feel and driving dynamics a lot. All city mpg is rough, but I expected that!

Update on a little over a month of ownership with the Titan; a few small things have popped up.

- Driver rear brake caliper needs to be changed. Went to have the brakes bled/flushed and the bleeder is sheered off.
- Belt/pulley? noise when truck is running. Easy fix.
- I think the trans mount needs to be changed, as it's a common part failure on these. In Drive at idle, there is some vibration. $30 fix.

Other than that, so far so good. I love the truck; good power and I like the feel and driving dynamics a lot. All city mpg is rough, but I expected that!

I had to do both rear calipers as I launched my boat in the ocean a lot and the salt rusted the bleeders in place.

Back