US Bans vegemite ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, they might get it now that Vegemite is banned. Luckily, I don't have a Vegemite "fix" to satisfy. I do have 4 cats to choose from if I did.

So many cats. So few recipes.
frown.gif

Kraft Vegemite Q&A

Since no one asked.

Mori's link is a crack up. Some Aussies are funny as heck, others are worse than the most paranoid Americans! If only the Aussies knew what happens when the USA tries to export to other countries (and what customs people do to our products!)

Still waiting on Kraft.

Quote:

If only the Aussies knew what happens when the USA tries to export to other countries (and what customs people do to our products!)

Molakule's gun lubricant obviously causes our customs people a purple fit. My shipments have both been seriously tampered with.

As to food products, a friend hand an American fried try to sent her a can of spray cheese (it's only just become available).

Quaranitine sent her a nice letter explaining that as a dairy product, it was sort of illegal, and gave her two options:
1) pay $25 to have it irradiated;
2) pay $15 to dispose of it.

If she failed to respond within 14 days, they would destroy it automatically.

(she chose option 3)

Cheese in a can......and Vegemite is banned???
crazy.gif

Looking at the ingrediants on my little jar of now contrabaned Vegemite, it only lists thiamine, riboflavin, and niacin (vitamines B1, B2, B3) as added. Therefore the folic acid (B9) is most likely naturally occurring in the yeast. Remember, yeast is a naturally high in B complex vitamines. Apparently Capn' Crunch has some lobbyists in his pocket and had this threat to the Sugar Coated Cerial Cartel rubbed out.

Gotta go get me some toast to hide the evidence on. Bon Apetite!

mormit, the "new" vegemite lists added folate down here, so I'd guess that they hopped on the bandwagon of adding folate to everything.

USDA says 100g active dry yeast has a whopping 2340 micrograms of folate, vs. yeast extract spread, which has only 1010 micrograms per 100g. They're gonna have to ban dry yeast, too, once word of this gets out. How will I be able to bake bread if yeast becomes illegal? oh. I'll just stay in Canada!

Quote:

USDA says 100g active dry yeast has a whopping 2340 micrograms of folate, vs. yeast extract spread, which has only 1010 micrograms per 100g. They're gonna have to ban dry yeast, too, once word of this gets out. How will I be able to bake bread if yeast becomes illegal? oh. I'll just stay in Canada!

Forget baking bread. How am I gonna make home brew without a legal source of yeast. Silly vitamine B9 technicality does open a can of worms.

mormit, simply get some "Coopers Sparkling Ale". Last bit of fermentation is in the bottle, so the label carries "best after", rather than "best before".

Quite a few home brewers use that as a starter.

Hmmmm....prolly suffer the same fate as vegemite (or cheese in a can).

Wow - up to date scopes.

I'm still angry because Kraft still hasn't replied to me.

Sounds like the whole stopping at the border thing is PC overhype. And it sounds like the FDA is doing a "wink and a nod"

Yeah. It still says "you can't ..errrr ..technically ..but who cares?"

Maybe if they just labelled it folate with the other stuff as the additive?

Folate with vegimite.

Sorta like how M1 put that *(small print) exclusive of additive carrier oil thingy.

First there was 'Vegemite Wars.' Then there was 'The Vegemite Strikes Back.' Now we have 'Return of the Vegemite'. Another trilogy may be in the making.

I can't tell what stories are real and which ones are made up. Can you?
tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back