US Bans vegemite ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that "Men at Work" song makes no sense. Oh, wait.
smile.gif

I checked at Cost Plus: no more Vegemite was on the shelf. I investigated the siutation and the manager confirmed the rumor: Vegemite has indeed been banned and Cost Plus will not carry it from now on. They are however selling the current stock, so if you have a hankering for some cat tuckus flavor, stock up right now!

The Marmite folks must be happy now. They got the whole yeast spread shelf for their own goop. By the way, Marmite tastes a lot more like yeast and has a sharper flavor than Vegemite. A 4.4 oz/125 g jar costs a bit over $5.

Luckily, my tentacles reach all the way to Downunder, and I'll be making Vegemite sandwiches in no time.

PS: Aussies, here's a business opportunity: relabel Vegemite fraudlently as Marmite and sell it on ebay. Who wants to be a Vegemite runner?
boat.gif

PPS: Isn't there another Aussie spread like Vegemite, only it's far superior and ultra-organic?

Of course I'm just guessing. I have no idea what they taste like, but, I have encoutered the smell.

Quote:

If it taste and smell like a cats unmentionable, I don't think I want any part of this.

I've heard that it doesn't actually taste like a cats arse, but it makes you want to lick a cats arse to get the vegemite taste out of your mouth.

Quote:

I'm sure that the dozens of Americans that eat vegemite will be outraged about this.

And the plus 200 million who don't eat Vegemite, indiscriminately wolf down sodium nitrate, BHA, BHT, polypropylene glycol, red 40 and Blue 5 etc. Let's not forget mercury-laced chicken. Bon appetit!
tongue.gif

moribundman,
I checked today at the shops, and Vegemite was 100mcg (I think they ment 100ug) per "serve" of 5 grammes. Marmite was also 100mcg. 333 "Aussiemite" was 50mcg.

BTW, two slices of decent bread (multigrain with seeds) is 175, and 3/4 cup of cereal runs about 125.

I think Oz has gone to the other end of folate madness in their bid (largely sucessful) to stave off neural tube defects. It runs in my family (Spina bifida), and hasn't shown up for 33 years.

Mentioning bread...my partner's cousin has moved to the U.S. for work, and reckons that the bread there is really sweet tasting (as in sugary sweet), and he needs to put heaps of vegemite on it to tart it up a bit.

Question:
a) is bread really that sweet in the U.S. ?
b) is my partner's cousin gonna survive without vegemite.

Other useless trivia, it's a renowned hangover cure to eat a tablespoon of vemite straight before chugging a half litre of water, then going to bed.

Well, one serving of the average US cereal is fortified with 25% RDA (recommended daily allowance sanctioned by the Funny Drug Adminstration for the average Murrikan) of folate. I suspect the folate content is an excuse for banning Vegemite, especially considering that Marmite is still legal.

Let me be very diplomatic and say that you can find decent bread if you are in a major city. If you are out in the boonies, well, the choices can be very limited. In the city, find a good ethnic bakery or go shopping at a place like Trader Joe that carries good bread (and cheese). There you can find European style farmers bread, loaves and sliced, ciabatta, panini, multigrain rolls and loaves, baguettes etc.

Sweet breads aren't really bread. Think of fluffy Hawaiian "bread" (made from sweet yeast dough), and I'd say that's not what I consider bread. Many of the horrid "white breads" (crustless things made from super-bleached flour and packaged in airtight clear body bags) are usually sweet and inedible.

Your partner's cousin may not survive without Vegemite.
grin.gif

Vegemite contains a lot of sodium. When you drink too much alcohol, your body gets dehydrated. I imagine that the high salt content in the Vegemite, coupled with drinking a lot of water after the binge, prevents dehydration and thus alleviates the symptoms of hangover. Not sure what's worse, too much salt or dehydration.
smile.gif

mori, that was usually my take on the Vege hangover cure. I usually placed a litre of water by the bedside, and sipped as I woke up.

But seriously, if I have 3/4 cup of cereal, a piece of toast, and a single sandwich for lunch, I can get enough folate to be an expecting mother one and a half times over.

But as Vegemite is an 'Merican owned product, why would it be a prohibited import ?

Shannow, you can't expect the FDA to act with sense and reason! They probably don't even know Vegemite is made by Kraft!
grin.gif
Or maybe the FDA thinks Vegemite is made in Afghanistan.
wink.gif

US customs is now screening travelers for edible contraband: Vegemite Outrage Spreads

Last edited:
Obviously ...someone at Kraft needs more lobbying presense in Washington.

OTOH, it's a mixed bag with our FDA. I don't mind the Euros and the rest of the world being our guinea pigs for most things. It's a double edged sword though. It's hard to draw the line between caution ..and restrictive practices.

From a trade standpoint, this sorta thing goes on all the time. My in the beltway pal had some deal for having some South American nuts processed by some native concern ..someone with a domestic nut processing deal of their own filed a few documents taking it beyond his means to cope with. No SA nut deal
dunno.gif

This isn't likely the case here. I don't see Vegemite stepping on any toes of the agristocracy.

I wrote Kraft an email this AM. No response yet. They do have Vegemite on their FAQ.

I have a 800 number for Kraft - 800-323-0768, but I draw the line at calling them. (A girl has to have some pride) Feel free to give them a shout.

Quote:

This isn't likely the case here. I don't see Vegemite stepping on any toes of the agristocracy.

The cats, what about the cats? They would miss the personal attention.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back