Updated ESP?

I was looking and mobil website had two different links for ESP 0W-30. The second link saying it will meet or exceed SP.

Attachments

• IMG_0530.jpg
    IMG_0530.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 36
I am of the opinion that oils get better over time. It still meets the demanding specs it always has. There was a recent VOA of it on the Russian oil club site, but that can't be confirmed. It likely went through a formulation change as oils always do. Half the time those guys are spending time figuring out if what they are buying is fake or not.

I am of the opinion that oils get better over time. It still meets the demanding specs it always has. There was a recent VOA of it on the Russian oil club site, but that can't be confirmed. It likely went through a formulation change as oils always do. Half the time those guys are spending time figuring out if what they are buying is fake or not.
Thats what ive concluded here

I get the feeling that ESP has been neutered, and is not the darling it once was. I'll let the resident experts weigh in, since feelings are just that.
Based on what?

I think back to PU when it came out the SM was the bomb. The SN was not as good, as many here pointed out.
What specifications did it carry beyond SN? 504/507 is a guarantee that the oil meets a certain standard.

Based on what?

What specifications did it carry beyond SN? 504/507 is a guarantee that the oil meets a certain standard.
I based it on comments here, and carefully chose the word "feeling." Then I stated "I'll let the experts weigh in. " Bottom line I have a hunch, nothing more. So I'll be following this thread. If they feel it is truly as good as it was or better now, I might stick with it when my stash runs out.

Regarding PU, you'd have to search the archives, tons was written about it several years ago.

I think back to PU when it came out the SM was the bomb. The SN was not as good, as many here pointed out.
The problem is that no one actually knows anything. For all we know, the SN is far better when you actually tear an engine down. The only thing you can actually rely on are the approvals. The rest is like reading tea leaves.

The ESP 5w30 is the good one. Also ESPx3 0w-40 is the newer one with Porsche approvals. API SP means nothing compared to some of the other approvals these oils have.

The problem is that no one actually knows anything. For all we know, the SN is far better when you actually tear an engine down. The only thing you can actually rely on are the approvals. The rest is like reading tea leaves.
I agree. I also feel there are some pretty bright guys here that can read PDS, specs, etc. and search the web to uncover info and base their educated opinions on that. Please note I used the word opinions, not facts.

Around January of 2023. The old esp is still on shelves though

View attachment 159239

View attachment 159237

View attachment 159238

Thank you, my 5 quart jugs have 2021 on them, so I will check for 2021 or 2022 and stock up accordingly. When I made out like a Bandit in November of 2021 AAP had the discount and with tax it was $31.00 for a 5 quart jug

Now it would be $39.20 for a 5 quart jug of this oil. There is no longer a discount for this oil, AAP did not know what they were doing back in 2021

The same thing happened back in the mid 80's when AAP was Trak Auto, the ACDelco PF35 oil filter was like $3.99 and they came out with a PF35L oil filter that was synthetic Media and claimed 75% less engine wear. The PF35L was priced at $3.99, I must have went to every Trak Auto in my area and I picked up like 12 of them. A few weeks later I go back and they were priced at like $7.99

Maybe the ACDelco PF35 was $2.99, that was 38 years ago, whatever.

Last edited:
Thank you, my 5 quart jugs have 2021 on them, so I will check for 2021 or 2022 and stock up accordingly. When I made out like a Bandit in November of 2021 AAP had the discount and with tax it was $31.00 for a 5 quart jug

Now it would be $39.20 for a 5 quart jug of this oil.

Those are 2023 dates on the containers too with the old formulation still being used.

If you need an SP 0w30 oil id go with 0w30 AFE for now until m1 gets their 0w30 ESP straightened out.

Those are 2023 dates on the containers too with the old formulation still being used.

If you need an SP 0w30 oil id go with 0w30 AFE for now until m1 gets their 0w30 ESP straightened out.
Tricky stuff, thanks 4 the heads up! What about 2022?

Back