Two new HPL products for OPE needs!!

Ok, so I got all the fluids swapped today. No real difference in sound on the engine oil, as to be expected. But it sure runs nice and smooth!

Hydros, however are a different story! The Hydro-Gear OEM fluid was nearly silent; almost no whine at all while it was in. The Amsoil, even though I never had anything but fine performance from it, always had a fairly loud whine, much more noticeable than OEM. I even bled them multiple times to make sure it wasn’t trapped air. I kinda chalked it up to broken-in hydros, since this is my first ZT. However, after putting the Tractor Life in and moving the levers only 4-5 times to bleed them, the hydros are nearly silent again. The whine is gone, even though the filters are the same and the hydros now have many more hours on them since new. I did note for the 2nd time that my ZT-3100s take nearly 2 quarts less than what the internet says… about 3.25 quarts; the vent plugs are weeping and the reservoirs are happy, so not sure where that discrepancy is from.

I don’t know what causes whine in hydros (anyone know for certain? Entrained air? @Pablo have you heard any similar comments re: Amsoil Hydro Fluid?) but the HPL is almost identical in sound signature to the Hydro-Gear fluid.

Not knocking the Amsoil since it did a fine job, and came out literally looking as clean as it did when new. I was amazed at how clean the fluid was. Guess the $14 Wix SL10102s didn’t have much to clean up! 🤣

I’ll check back in another 150 hours and see if the HPL fluids were worth it!

They've made the No VII in 10W-40.
Dave said the Small Engine has a higher dose of antioxidants and a higher TBN for the more severe conditions this equipment faces, but not sure if it’s based off the No VII version. I’ll check the per quart price and see what tier of engine oil it matches up with. BRB…

Update: I don’t want to guess. Hopefully Dave will have a minute early next week to fill us in.

Last edited:
Well I WASN’T planning on doing the hydro’s on my zero turn but looks like I am now… thanks Suby! 🤣

Well… maybe I’ll wait till next year, it doesn’t even have 45 hours on it yet. Then it can start with some fresh HPL in both the engine and hydros lol

Ok, so I got all the fluids swapped today. No real difference in sound on the engine oil, as to be expected. But it sure runs nice and smooth!

Hydros, however are a different story! The Hydro-Gear OEM fluid was nearly silent; almost no whine at all while it was in. The Amsoil, even though I never had anything but fine performance from it, always had a fairly loud whine, much more noticeable than OEM. I even bled them multiple times to make sure it wasn’t trapped air. I kinda chalked it up to broken-in hydros, since this is my first ZT. However, after putting the Tractor Life in and moving the levers only 4-5 times to bleed them, the hydros are nearly silent again. The whine is gone, even though the filters are the same and the hydros now have many more hours on them since new. I did note for the 2nd time that my ZT-3100s take nearly 2 quarts less than what the internet says… about 3.25 quarts; the vent plugs are weeping and the reservoirs are happy, so not sure where that discrepancy is from.

I don’t know what causes whine in hydros (anyone know for certain? Entrained air? @Pablo have you heard any similar comments re: Amsoil Hydro Fluid?) but the HPL is almost identical in sound signature to the Hydro-Gear fluid.

Not knocking the Amsoil since it did a fine job, and came out literally looking as clean as it did when new. I was amazed at how clean the fluid was. Guess the $14 Wix SL10102s didn’t have much to clean up! 🤣

I’ll check back in another 150 hours and see if the HPL fluids were worth it!
I am currently running the Amsoil Hydro gear fluid as I mentioned before and have absolutely no complaints with the performance and would recommend it to anyone. The only reason I would make the switch is that it would be do for servicing I do run OEM filters on it.

@#18FAN like I said, I had zero performance issues with the Amsoil, just the whine. And since I bled the hydros several times on Amsoil, I’m not sure what caused it. It did come out looking almost new, so it doesn’t appear to have been causing wear; UOA will tell us more.

Reactions: 4WD
They would have one for your needs I'd bet on it
I am actually surprised they don't offer 10W-40 motorcycle oil. It's what most modern bikes take. I agree they likely have the components brewing somewhere, but just surprised they don't offer it explicitly as its own thing.

I am actually surprised they don't offer 10W-40 motorcycle oil. It's what most modern bikes take. I agree they likely have the components brewing somewhere, but just surprised they don't offer it explicitly as its own thing.
There are still oils they have that aren’t listed on the website yet. A little birdie told me there’s updates coming soon. Stay posted.

In the meantime, if you’re wondering about a product availability, call Mary Jane at (815) 932-3288 and get the answers you seek!

Last edited:
As promised, the 2nd shirt…
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, they finally came today after just a few days after discussing the idea with @High Performance Lubricants!

These were born of a want to have full HPL across the household, and the last thing on the list was my zero-turn, an Ariens 60” with the Kawasaki FR730V and Hydrogear 3200 hydrostats. Let me start off by saying, my mower has had full Amsoil fluids for 130 of its 137 hours with no issues.

Dave & team whipped up a 10w40 with extra antioxidants & protection for the high heat, long storage time, and the 20w50 is called “Tractor Life” and is made to keep the hydrostats happy. I told Dave he should make some stickers with the HPL name over the “Tractor Life” brand, and then stick a silhouette of an old Case tractor on there! 🤣

Not expecting any huge differences obviously, but looking to streamline my shelf stock and continue great protection. If you’re in the same boat as me, you can now run full HPL in everything!

@High Performance Lubricants can you please add some info on the oils since there’s not even a product info page yet? Thanks again!!View attachment 168198
Man, you are picky Chris! Just kidding. I’m sure these oils will serve you well.

most of us are NOT tribologists BUT the only downside of TOO good oils is cost, BUT the opposite of too poor quality lubes + too long between changes CAN + DOES cause issues that are costly IMO!!

Guessing this is a call and ask type product?

Rather than the conventional ordering method.
Yeah, I wanted HPL’s 5w20 HDEO but they decided not to make a CK-4 version. So I’ll either use up my NO VII 5w20 and use other oils or go with their “CK-4 5w30 HDEO”

Back